Bad news for Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgery2Do

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Florida is about to pass a law that will allow CRNA's to work independent of a MD. This will put many Anesthesiologist out of jobs and also decrease the pay.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
surgery2do: you have no clue what you are talking about.... Florida already allows CRNAs to practice without anesthesiologist supervision - legally they can practice under physician or dentist. However they can't bill Medicare independently yet.... but that doesn't matter... no jobs are lost and in fact they have an Anesthesiologist shortage...
In fact the florida legislature is working on a bill that would create AAs - so the anesthesiologists can hire AAs instead of CRNAs... so if anybody should feel threatened financially it is the CRNAs

so before you post on this forum why don't you do some fact-checking?

Thanks for your level-headedness Tenesma! I will admit that the whole CRNA thing worries me a bit as I am sure it does a lot of people. I feel that it is important that we divert our energy from standing back and worrying about what is going to happen next regarding our CRNA friends to becoming more politically aggressive and active. It is absolutely crucial that we as future and current anesthesiologists back the political action groups that have been set up by the ASA so that we ensure that our political needs are met. It has been well documented that the CRNA's have a tremendously aggressive lobbying team that has put a full-court press on congress and state governments to broaden their scope of practice. We can't be naive to think that they are content with just practicing without the supervision of a physician. They want the ability to bill just as a physician would be able to. So while I understand the original posters concern (if that is what caused him to post in the first place)...........It is all good! :)

Surgery2Do said:
Florida is about to pass a law that will allow CRNA's to work independent of a MD. This will put many Anesthesiologist out of jobs and also decrease the pay.

:confused:

Whatever....... :rolleyes:

Dude, do about 12 minutes of research before you post such an idiotic statement. NO anesthesiologists will be put out of a job. Do a search on gaswork.com (specifically for Florida) just to see how "desperate" and "poor" we'll be.

Jeez.......... :laugh: