Bad news/Good news over the phone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all -
I called around to a number of schools today to see if there has been any change in my application status. BU was kind enough to tell me over the phone that I had been rejected.

I know some schools will tell you over the phone that you're going to be interviewed (U of MN, Wake Forest did that with me). Are there other schools that will tell you if you've been rejected over the phone?

Are there schools that will tell you if you've been accepted if you call them?

Members don't see this ad.

Adcadet, are you saying that U of MN and Wake Forest told you that you would be interviewed, and they hadn't communicated that by any other means previously? Interesting...

Also, what's the rationale for calling to check on the status of your app? I can understand calling to to see if the app is complete, but...I'm only wondering because it I'd love to know the status of my app at a few key schools, but I don' t know how to rationalize making the call. I'd feel like I was just being inpatient, or worse, pushy. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops...not INPATIENT...I meant IMPATIENT. Guess I've been spending a little too much time around hospitals lately. :)

Originally posted by skigirl
Adcadet, are you saying that U of MN and Wake Forest told you that you would be interviewed, and they hadn't communicated that by any other means previously? Interesting...

Also, what's the rationale for calling to check on the status of your app? I can understand calling to to see if the app is complete, but...I'm only wondering because it I'd love to know the status of my app at a few key schools, but I don' t know how to rationalize making the call. I'd feel like I was just being inpatient, or worse, pushy. What do you think?

I started calling in late September, first to make sure my app was complete, then to see if anything had changed. I actually called Wake Forest and the U of MN before they sent out the letters, so I knew a few days in advance. Some schools seem to like it when you show interest - Wake is usually the one mentioned.

I called Jefferson in early October and was told that everything was complete. I called a month later, and was told they were missing 3 of my LORs....so I think it's wise to periodically call.

I don't think it's rude or pestering them to do so, as long as you don't call an excessive number of times. The tough thing for me is not to call a certain school a huge number of times. They already voted on my app (assuming they're on schedule), but it will supposedly take a week or two for the decision to be entered into the computer. AHHHHHH!

i think it's pushy to call unless:

1. you're calling to make sure your app is complete
2. you're calling b/c your app has been in for several months and you've heard nothing
OR
3. you're calling b/c they told you you'd hear by a certain date and you haven't

but maybe that's just me. i'm a pretty passive person.

Last year I called JHU (among other schools) re whether they were considering offering me an interview for interview air travel coordination purposes (Alaska is a long way from the east coast!). While some schools were accomodating, and some weren't, JHU was the only school to tell me over the phone that they would not be interviewing me.

On the question of whether it's rude to call to check on the status of your app, I agree with lola.

Originally posted by lola
i think it's pushy to call unless:

1. you're calling to make sure your app is complete
2. you're calling b/c your app has been in for several months and you've heard nothing
OR
3. you're calling b/c they told you you'd hear by a certain date and you haven't

but maybe that's just me. i'm a pretty passive person.

It seems some schools keep track of how often/if you call. I called Jefferson and the lady said that she'd put a note in my file indicating that I called. And Wake Forest is widely rumored to pay extra attention to those who inquire. And sometimes weird things happen - like Jefferson reporting my app as complete one month, then saying that they didin't have most of my LORs the next month. So I think it's just fine to call occasionally. But I can be pushy.

Hey!
Adcadet- for your question before, Albany will tell you your status over the phone - or at least if you've been rejected. Good Luck!

Here's my story at Wake...

Wait listed for an interview...didn't know it. Called and found this out.

Two days later was asked to come in for an interview.

Wait listed after interview. Called every two weeks to check status. Received acceptance over the phone.

I think it pays to call if you're interested in going to Wake.

Originally posted by WakeMedHeel
Here's my story at Wake...

Wait listed for an interview...didn't know it. Called and found this out.

Two days later was asked to come in for an interview.

Wait listed after interview. Called every two weeks to check status. Received acceptance over the phone.

I think it pays to call if you're interested in going to Wake.

Oh, I've called. Perhaps I'll see if there is such as thing as calling too often.