BAD orgo grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiromitsu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D+ in organic chemistry fall semester sophomore year! That means my cumulative GPA will drop to a 3.3 ..... Have i seriously screwed myself completely or do I still have a chance.... I need help! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh calm down :) Just retake the class and this time, ace it. One little grade (out of a zillion) is NOT going to destroy your chances of getting into med school.

hiromitsu said:
I got a D+ in organic chemistry fall semester sophomore year! That means my cumulative GPA will drop to a 3.3 ..... Have i seriously screwed myself completely or do I still have a chance.... I need help! Thanks

Nope you are fine.. you wil have to retake orgo, but your gpa has time to improve before you apply. Many poeple get D's in pre reqs so its no big deal and so you are ok. Just get a A in the retake and do well in your other classes. Do well in orgo 2 aswell...

Good Luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
But that ugly D+ will never disappear, and when i retake (there will be a lot ass-kicking going around) even when i make that A i will still have that ugly D+ factoring into the GPA... this is the first time i've gotten below a B in college so far... YOu think that if i show people a D+ surrounded by mostly A's and some B's they will look at as a fluke???

THanks for responding so quickly, by the way

hiromitsu said:
But that ugly D+ will never disappear, and when i retake (there will be a lot ass-kicking going around) even when i make that A i will still have that ugly D+ factoring into the GPA... this is the first time i've gotten below a B in college so far... YOu think that if i show people a D+ surrounded by mostly A's and some B's they will look at as a fluke???

haha.....
nope you are ok, its orgo chem its hard for most poeple med schools see this all the time, and thats why u retake the class and get a A, to show the med schools that you know this stuff well. Theres a first time to get D's somewhere, poeple have even gotten F's in pre reqs and are in med school.
You are fine, retake the class get the A and continue to do well!

:thumbup:

there must be some reason that you couldn't devote the time to the class and got a D. Just be able to explain that. maybe you were going throug h a hard time in your personal life. if you can explain the reason for your D, you are going to be fine.
good luck

So my future does have hope after all...med schools really dont mind that? But as long as i kick ass the second time around and show i can do organic chemistry...i should be fine? That's really good to hear,

I'd rather not ever get a D ever, but it seems like my professor was a ba$**** enough to let that happen....

Also, what do you think about taking organic chem 2 over the summer instead of with the other classes? that way i can focus on it 100%, and i dont have to divy up time like it is usually in the semester when the first tests all start in the same %&$(ing week.

Thanks again, everyone, you've really helped me out!

hiromitsu said:

You need to keep this grade in the proper perspective. One bad grade during one bad semester is not the be-all, end-all of your life. The medical schools will certainly be concerned if you have a pattern of earning Ds. But you said it was the only one you had, and like the other posters said, you can retake the class. Try to figure out where you went wrong this semester (Did you just not study enough? Did you have too heavy of a class load? Did you have other issues like illness, death in the family, etc. to deal with?) You should also go speak to your professor and TA and ask them for advice on how you can do better next time. I can tell you that I see a lot of my previous students show up in organic again the following semester, so you are far from being alone in this regard. All in all, chalk this up as a learning experience, and don't give up just because you had one bad class.

hiromitsu said:
Also, what do you think about taking organic chem 2 over the summer instead of with the other classes? that way i can focus on it 100%, and i dont have to divy up time like it is usually in the semester when the first tests all start in the same %&$(ing week.

Yup, that's a good idea. It's so nice to get orgo2 out of the way :) Orgo 2 is sooo much more interesting than orgo 1 though

hiromitsu said:
So my future does have hope after all...med schools really dont mind that? But as long as i kick ass the second time around and show i can do organic chemistry...i should be fine? That's really good to hear,

I'd rather not ever get a D ever, but it seems like my professor was a ba$**** enough to let that happen....

Thanks again, everyone, you've really helped me out!

You could take it over summer if you prefer, or you could take a lighter load while you take orgo 2, as the above poster said you might be asked to explain way you got the D, but you mentiioned that it was due to the prof.

I would just continue it as the series and maybe take some other classes in the summer, maybe get into research and some volunteer hours but its totally up to you, that my opinion

good luck

Yeah, taking orgo II over the summer will really be convenient because i've been working in a lab during freshamn summer,and the fall sophomore semester , adn whenver my classes end i go to work there , and i'll be working there again this summer. So it shouldn't end up to be a hassle becuase i'll just come to class in the morning and then end up at work for the rest of the day.

Thanks again, this SDN forum network is really great!

hiromitsu said:

Relax, had the same thing happen to me. I got a B and a C in orgo 1 and 2 respectively and dropped down to a 3.3 back in the summer after freshman year. I'm now a junior and have pulled my gpa back up to a 3.7 so relax you'll be ok.

definitely not the end of the world. i got a C or C+ (i think) in both orgo 1 and 2. never retook. finished with a 3.4ish gpa. already accepted to one md program and have had / will have interviews at others. no worries.

hey... happened to me... and I got a 13 on the bio component of the MCAT. It is a real pain when something like this happens, but I'm sure you'll pull through.