bad pre-med committee interview, but im a grad student..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kazza2ud

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just completed the 1 year post-bac pre-med certificate program at VCU/MCV. I figured I would take advantage of my undergrad pre-med committee, even though I don't think it's required if you're a grad student. I went to UMW in Fredericksburg so it's only an hour away from Richmond. Anyway, the interview was the day after my last final exam, and anyone who's been in one of these cert programs can tell you you really don't have much free time. So basically I was underprepared for the interview and recovering from sleep deprivation, which made for a somewhat below-average interview. So now I'm thinking of just not using the pre-med committee, and when the med schools ask why, what do I say... that they were holding interviews during my finals week and since it's optional for a graduate student (isn't it?) I did not feel it was necessary, and I wanted to focus on the cert program? Or that I feel the interview doesn't fairly represent me? Is it better to apply with a bad pre-med committee interview or to just circumvent it and do the individual LORs through interfolio? I figured the latter, but wanted to be sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the committee thing and felt I did poorly. I opted not to use it and went the individual letter approach. I had plenty of interviews and had multiple acceptances. I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't get in, it will be due to your MCAT, GPA, or interview skills.

So I just completed the 1 year post-bac pre-med certificate program at VCU/MCV. I figured I would take advantage of my undergrad pre-med committee, even though I don't think it's required if you're a grad student. I went to UMW in Fredericksburg so it's only an hour away from Richmond. Anyway, the interview was the day after my last final exam, and anyone who's been in one of these cert programs can tell you you really don't have much free time. So basically I was underprepared for the interview and recovering from sleep deprivation, which made for a somewhat below-average interview. So now I'm thinking of just not using the pre-med committee, and when the med schools ask why, what do I say... that they were holding interviews during my finals week and since it's optional for a graduate student (isn't it?) I did not feel it was necessary, and I wanted to focus on the cert program? Or that I feel the interview doesn't fairly represent me? Is it better to apply with a bad pre-med committee interview or to just circumvent it and do the individual LORs through interfolio? I figured the latter, but wanted to be sure.

Since you graduated (prior to this year) from University of Mary Washington, not using the committee probably won't be much of a problem but you need to be sure of this. Do be aware that some medical schools may not accept letters outside of a committee if you school has one and you are a recent grad. It's worth contacting the schools that you are interested in applying to and asking if you need to have a committee letter since you are already a grad and are not currently on campus.

Postbacc certificate may not equal graduate student so be sure that you are actually graduate status before you list yourself as a graduate student. If your program was outside of a formal graduate program, it will not likely count as graduate credit but as post bacc credit (adds to your uGPA). In any event, again, check with your prospective schools and find out if you absolutely need to go through a committee after you have graduated from your undergraduate institution.

Also remember that when you are tired and stressed, interviews always seem worse than they actually are. As the interviewee, you can't be objective in terms of rating your response. Rehashing only makes you feel worse and quite likely, you did fine.

In terms of learning for future experience, prepare for every interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Postbacc certificate may not equal graduate student so be sure that you are actually graduate status before you list yourself as a graduate student.

I just wanted to echo this. You are only considered a "graduate student" if you are in a "graduate" or professional program, i.e. something that culminates in a degree higher than a Bacherlor's. Maybe you really are a graduate student, in which case great, but post-bacc students are not "grad students," so be careful how you use this terminology.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the committee thing and felt I did poorly. I opted not to use it and went the individual letter approach. I had plenty of interviews and had multiple acceptances. I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't get in, it will be due to your MCAT, GPA, or interview skills.

Conversely, I thought my premed committee interview went rather poorly and was stressing about it for nearly two months. Then suddenly the interview invites started flooding my inbox, all of those interviews seemed to go well, resulting in mostly acceptances and two waitlists. I don't know what you can really take from my story other than the fact that people often think they are performing worse than they really are in an interview.

Do you have any specific instances/anecdotes from the interview to sort of give us an idea of what happened?

i'm pretty sure i'm considered a grad student, the cert is half a masters. i have the option of continuing the program after the summer and getting a masters. yea i know it didn't go well i talked to them. they say it wasn't their worst interview but far from the best =0 hey i'm only human. this is the hardest i've worked in my life. no regrets here.

according to the 3 admissions committees who told me they didn't doubt my academic ability but were unimpressed with my LORs... yes, I'm sure.

Hey, I noticed that you applied to a lot of Texas schools, where we use TMDSAS. Is your 3.33 GPA a reflection of AMCAS GPA or TMDSAS (where grad GPA is averaged into the undergrad GPA)? I am really curious about this, since my situation as a Texas resident would likely closely mirror yours.

Also, when you asked for the LORs, did you ask them for a "strong recommendation" and then got a bad vibe but went ahead anyways? I have one professor I would like to ask, but I am not sure which they would write. I was thinking of asking them if they could "write a strong letter of recommendation," and if they give me an awkward response or they turn me down, I wouldn't push the issue.

I thought premed committees were supposed to help you get into medical school. If you don't do well on their practice interview, don't they just recommend some more mock interviews?

Hey, I noticed that you applied to a lot of Texas schools, where we use TMDSAS. Is your 3.33 GPA a reflection of AMCAS GPA or TMDSAS (where grad GPA is averaged into the undergrad GPA)? I am really curious about this, since my situation as a Texas resident would likely closely mirror yours.

Also, when you asked for the LORs, did you ask them for a "strong recommendation" and then got a bad vibe but went ahead anyways? I have one professor I would like to ask, but I am not sure which they would write. I was thinking of asking them if they could "write a strong letter of recommendation," and if they give me an awkward response or they turn me down, I wouldn't push the issue.
I was a Texas resident until just a few months ago, which is why I applied TMDSAS. my 3.33 is the AMCAS GPA.. my TMDSAS GPA is actually like a 3.45 undergrad (they took some of my graduate school courses as post-bac).

I typically did ask for strong letters. I think most people gave me good letters. Then my pre-med committee interviewed me and wrote their own letter based on the interview, my activities and GPA, and the letters I had received. I believe it was my committee letter that was poor, and I couldn't avoid it. They write one and send one whether they like you or not.

I was a Texas resident until just a few months ago, which is why I applied TMDSAS. my 3.33 is the AMCAS GPA.. my TMDSAS GPA is actually like a 3.45 undergrad (they took some of my graduate school courses as post-bac).

I typically did ask for strong letters. I think most people gave me good letters. Then my pre-med committee interviewed me and wrote their own letter based on the interview, my activities and GPA, and the letters I had received. I believe it was my committee letter that was poor, and I couldn't avoid it. They write one and send one whether they like you or not.

your unsuccess (fake word, i'm using it anyway) in 2008 leaves me stymied. perhaps you should apply to more schools this cycle?

not to sound like a total dick here, but you have some pretty solid EC's - any chance you came across as arrogant?

anyway, i wish you nothing but the best of luck this cycle. if anything, applying for the third time proves beyond a reasonable doubt your desire to be a physician.