Bad scene in the ER last night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hollywoodfl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last night was the worst night so far since I have been volunteering in the ER. The triage, where I am, was completely full. All the other ER’s, A-H wards, were full. The express unit was so full they had people sitting on the floor, in the halls, everywhere. The nurse practitioner unit was full. The patient flow coordinator decided not to divert emergency medical, so while this was happening, metro kept bringing in more people on beds. By the end of the night the RN’s were comparing how many admits they had each done.
Yikes!
 
Yeah it gets like that at my ER here in Philly too, and philly has 4 level 1 trauma centers! I feel like there is a culture of "Screw a primary, let's go to the ER." here in philly, even moreso then in other places, because there are so many big teaching hospitals advertising all the time.
 
I like the fact that Philly has so many level one trauma centers. I always wondered why Los Angeles is not as well equipped as Philly to handle major emergencies
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well our trauma center has its own triage, so this is 100% weird complaints. And it is the county hospital, so we get all kinds.
 
Well our trauma center has its own triage, so this is 100% weird complaints. And it is the county hospital, so we get all kinds.

blah blah blah blah.......................and that's how I got my junk stuck in the tractor exhaust.

that kind of stuff?
 
No its a lot of diabetic non-compliance, abdominal pain, vomitting, seizures etc. All thetractor-stuff go to the trauma triage.
 
Know that we in EMS really do feel for you. I was bringing a delusional women into the St. Francis ER last week, right on the heels of 2 other ambulances who had brought in patients. While I was sitting on the cot finishing paperwork, three more ambulances pulled up in the bay until i was forced to leave and finish my paperwork in the rig for lack of space. I think one was a direct admit, but still, I've never felt so sorry for the ER nurses.
 
Am I nuts for thinking working for the circus would allow me to see less crazies than working in a local ER/Trauma center... I maself.. LOVE IT!!!!! Our ER is like that every night and we aren't even in the 1million city market.
 
Am I nuts for thinking working for the circus would allow me to see less crazies than working in a local ER/Trauma center... I maself.. LOVE IT!!!!! Our ER is like that every night and we aren't even in the 1million city market.

I like the excitement, but I dont like people sitting for 24 hours or more.