bad skin, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

court16

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried numerous treatments for acne (tazorac, retin-a cream/gel, differin, and tetracycline , doxycycline) but nothing seems to totally help. I am a runner also. I am nervous about going on a low dosage birth control to treat the acne but this option has been suggested to me a few times? What are the risks? Benefits? Other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey....i had really bad skin during my high school years and early college years. I saw several drs and tried almost everything out there for my acne problem. retin-a cream/gel, differin, tetracycline...i even took acutane three times. Nothing seemed to work until i tried erthyomycin. I saw visible result after only taking erthyomycin for three days. but the thing is...erthyomycin works only when you take it...that is, if you stop for a period of time, the acne comes back. I took erthyomycin for a year and a half before stopping, now my skin is great.

keep in mind that what works well for me might not work well for you and vise versa. the key to taking antibiotics is patience. most antibiotics take months to work.

Isn't it really bad to habitually take antibiotics??

Members don't see this ad :)
court16 said:
I have tried numerous treatments for acne (tazorac, retin-a cream/gel, differin, and tetracycline , doxycycline) but nothing seems to totally help. I am a runner also. I am nervous about going on a low dosage birth control to treat the acne but this option has been suggested to me a few times? What are the risks? Benefits? Other options?

Its best not to solicit free medical advice on this website.

Contact your dermatologist.

And use SPF 15!

Q, DO

QuinnNSU said:
Its best not to solicit free medical advice on this website.

Contact your dermatologist.

And use SPF 15!

Q, DO

Quinn, you're the bomb. Funny in every forum. (btw, why are you reading the derm forum? Why am I reading the derm forum?)

I had problems with acne for a few years, and I tried all sorts of different treatments including tetracycline and erythromycin. My doctor suggested accutane, and I thought about it for a while and decided to go with it. You have to take it for about 6 months and it causes some annoying side effects like dry/red skin that easily sun burns and joint aches (although I am not sure this was the drug). Monthly blood tests are mandatory to make sure your liver can handle the high doses of the drug. My doc mentioned that accutane is one of the strongest drugs you can take without being admitted to a hospital....Anyways, it was worth it and I am now a year past treatment with no lasting side effects and good skin. For about 6 months after treatment I never even had a pimple, but now I have some once in a while, but its definitely manageable. Talk to your doctor about it, I would recommend it.

BTW: In Canada I believe Accutane is covered under MediCare...I know it is very expensive in the States. This may be an issue.