Can I become a dermatologist with bad skin?

Started by r7p3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r7p3

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's some internet folk going on about disliking dermatologists with bad skin. I have eczema and I want to go into the derm field. I find it rather silly that people judge doctors on these traits when its not something that can be cured.
 
Closing. You've cross posted this in multiple forums and they've already given you answers. You'll find a simple search of the derm forum will net similar threads with similar answers.

Can you become a dermatologist with bad skin? Sure (you're talking to one currently)
Should you fix the underlying skin condition (or improve itas much you can)? Sure (I did. You'll find that as a dermatologist, you're going to have extra help and extra motivation)
Is it silly or petty that people judge you on skin conditions? Yes, but that's life. (Would you go to a dentist with rotting teeth?)

Either way, the barrier to entry in dermatology is academic, not dermatologic. Wishing you the best of luck in both.

Closing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.