Podiatry Bad SMP performance...What do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
Need some advice because I'm just so lost on what to do. Clearly I rushed into the SMP way too early. Anyways, my undergrad stats: gPA:2.9 (bad last semester with 1 F) sGPA is around 2.7ish.Now enrolled in a 2 year research SMP at DO school. 1st semester had A,B and 2B-. I started off struggling a bit but the least round of tests I got As. This semester I struggled a lot and will probably end up with a C+, 2 C and 1 A. clearly not great but i had some untreated mental health issues that really affected me and now i'm scared on what to do. Do i stick with the program? or do i take a Leave of absence (and get WFs in all 3 C courses) and come back next year on a fresh start? This is the hardest semester at my program so let's say i could somehow manage straight As here on out I would end up with a GPA closer to 3.2ish. any advice for me?
*also MCAT is 512. decent ECs and shadowing. i'm interested in DO and podiatry.
Did you apply to DPM programs? What is your shadowing history with podiatrists? DO and DPM are different beasts.

If DO is your preferred goal, you stick it out (finish with or without an LOA). If you drop out, I think DO closes.

You have to address the mental health issues and get them under control no matter what.
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Should I take the LOA and the WFs and if I choose to try afresh next year or is it best to ditch it all now? Is podiatry if the table too?
I'm reading what you posted before, and I think you have to maintain a 3.0 to stay in a graduate program, right? If so, I'm not sure that withdrawing will help you since I don't know the policy at your university. You should have known what your LOA policy and options were, especially if you recently discovered your diagnosis. You won't be starting fresh at any rate.

If podiatry is your plan B, you should get your mental health issues under control, shadow podiatrists, and network with the schools about your journey and application advice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.