Bad Soph. year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2174mil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

If anyone could please give me some advice, that would be great.

I had a GPA of 3.6 at the end of the first term of my Soph. year but during the second term, I took the second half of organic and ended up getting a D in the course due to some pretty bad test anxiety (I got an A- in the first half of organic, but prior to this I had to drop a general chemistry class the first term of my freshman year and I think the worry about that got to me). After that term my GPA dropped to a 3.38.

I just took the same organic class again the following term and got a C for the same reason, so now my GPA is obviously lower (3.29 overall with a science GPA of 2.62).

I have 6 more science classes to take and I calculated that if I get A's in all of them the most I can pull my science GPA up to is 3.3

If I get A's in all of my courses until I graduate (I plan to take the MCAT the Spring of my senior year and apply shortly afterwards) I can pull up my overall GPA to a 3.66
_____
For extracurriculars: I'm doing research in a lab, I've shadowed several doctors, I've organized several blood drives, I write for the science journal at my school, I've organized a service trip for education of children in India, I'm an EMT, I've done some service work for cancer patients at a nearby hospital, I've helped coordinate volunteers for the local special olympics, and I've also helped organize food drives for the homeless since I was in elementary school.
______

Where do I go from here apart from try to get A's in all of my classes? I don't think I'll have a problem with the text anxiety any more since I have no more chemistry classes to take.

If I do get all A's from this point on, will the overall GPA of 3.66 and science GPA of 3.3 be competitive? What MCAT score would I need to balance out my GPA to make myself a competitive applicant? Will these stats be competitve for any of the ivy's with a good MCAT score?

Thank you so much for your time. Any advice you could give would be so helpful--I'm just so lost at this point as to what to do next.

Members don't see this ad.

A cGPA of 3.66 would be competitive with an MCAT of 31 for the less-selective allopathic med schools. A science GPA of 3.3 will likely put the Ivies out of your reach, even with a higher MCAT score. If straight As aren't attainable, keep in mind that DO med schools are more forgiving of past academic difficulties and that they only count the most recent repeat for a class when they calculate your application GPA. Getting a C in OChem II after a D will not be reassuring to adcomms that you've mastered the material, so getting a good MCAT score will be important for you. You might also give consideration to taking Biochem, which will help you in med school and will also help redeem the low OChem grade.

It looks like you ECs are right on track. I have no suggestions to make there.

If I do get all A's from this point on, will the overall GPA of 3.66 and science GPA of 3.3 be competitive? What MCAT score would I need to balance out my GPA to make myself a competitive applicant? Will these stats be competitve for any of the ivy's with a good MCAT score?

I agree with Mobius. Overall of 3.66 is fine to apply to allopathic schools in general. The sGPA of 3.3 is not so great and most of the highly competitive med schools will pretty much be out of reach, even with an MCAT in the mid 30s. That being said, you learn the same stuff no matter what (US allopathic) med school you go to, so just focus on doing well in your future classes and on the MCAT and you should have a good shot of getting in somewhere. It's nice to go to a big name med school (as a side note, my med school is an Ivy but I'm not sure a lot of people would classify it as a "big name" med school), but it's still plenty nice to go to ANY US allopathic school. Going to an "Ivy" isn't a pre-requisite (or sufficient) for becoming a good physician.

Good luck! :thumbup: