bad state-MD school vs osteopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jady

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Jady said:

Go to the better school. The degree is irrelevant, as you will be qualified for the same medical license & board certification.

OSUdoc08 said:
Go to the better school. The degree is irrelevant, as you will be qualified for the same medical license & board certification.

Thank you. Wow! That was fast... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC is not a bad school at all.
But i guess it would depend on what type of degree you want to get...
Personally i will be applying to both and if i ever have the same situation i would probobly go with UIC just because MD let's me practice medicine anywhere in the world (and i am from europe so never know if i will be back there someday)...but if DO was respected anywhere in the world or if i knew i will never move outside of US i would go into DO.
I really like the DO philosophy. I just wish that people would not pay so much attention to the alphabet after your name....and concentrate on your qualities and qualifications.
Whatever you will do remeber that the most important thing is not what kind of a doctor you will be but what kind of person as a doctor you will be. At the end you get as much from your education as you put in yourself.
You can be a great doc regardless of what wto letters show after your name....
good luck

Umm...ok. So, last time I checked, most (if not all) of the medical schools in the United States were accredited. I really have not come across a "bad" state med school. I honestly can not speak to the osteopathic education, as it was never really presented as an option for me until I was into medical school and as such I have not done as much exploration as I would have liked, but there are a number of tidbits I have picked up on SDN.

First, I would consider cost. If your state med school is cheaper than the osteopathic school, take a good look at how much you will save. Next, take a look at match lists. Don't forget to consider that going to osteopathic school can involve taking double the number of boards, USMLE and COMLEX. From what I hear, there isn't too much extra prep involved, but it is extra days (at a point in life where time is at a premium) and additional cost. Also, the whole osteopathic internship seems to generate anxiety amongst a number of osteopathic medical students who are considering allopathic residencies (disclaimer: I know very little, so don't ask me to follow up, that is just what I have observed on SDN).

With that said, a number of people have told me that they prefer their "Non-MD" primary care docs to the MD ones they have seen. As an MD student I am curious, intrigued, and really want to learn OMM, but know I won't really have much chance to do so in my education.

Just a slightly different perspective. Good luck in your choices - it's nice to have options, isn't it?

Actually both UIC and SIU are great schools. I know many grads from these schools, as recent grads and not-so-recent grads. All of them have successful practices. And the last poster was right - if you aren't too hung up on research, then go to the school you feel best about. You can be an orthopedic surgeon and go to SIU and you can be an orthopedic surgeon and go to CCOM.

If you like the DO philosphy then make CCOM your #1 choice.

If you are worried about tuition, then make SIU or U of I your #1 choice.

BTW, SIU is my alma mater, and will defend it to the death! :D

on a side note...
DOs are now recognised in Britian. I'm not sure about the other European countries. I was pretty happy when this happened since I had been thinking about moving to England for awhile... that is till I realized I hate being cold. But we'll see what happens. ;)

socuteMD said:
Umm...ok. So, last time I checked, most (if not all) of the medical schools in the United States were accredited. I really have not come across a "bad" state med school. I honestly can not speak to the osteopathic education, as it was never really presented as an option for me until I was into medical school and as such I have not done as much exploration as I would have liked, but there are a number of tidbits I have picked up on SDN.

First, I would consider cost. If your state med school is cheaper than the osteopathic school, take a good look at how much you will save. Next, take a look at match lists. Don't forget to consider that going to osteopathic school can involve taking double the number of boards, USMLE and COMLEX. From what I hear, there isn't too much extra prep involved, but it is extra days (at a point in life where time is at a premium) and additional cost. Also, the whole osteopathic internship seems to generate anxiety amongst a number of osteopathic medical students who are considering allopathic residencies (disclaimer: I know very little, so don't ask me to follow up, that is just what I have observed on SDN).

With that said, a number of people have told me that they prefer their "Non-MD" primary care docs to the MD ones they have seen. As an MD student I am curious, intrigued, and really want to learn OMM, but know I won't really have much chance to do so in my education.

Just a slightly different perspective. Good luck in your choices - it's nice to have options, isn't it?

:thumbup:

Megalofyia said:
on a side note...
DOs are now recognised in Britian. I'm not sure about the other European countries. I was pretty happy when this happened since I had been thinking about moving to England for awhile... that is till I realized I hate being cold. But we'll see what happens. ;)

West Virginia will do that, won't it? :D

There are bad med schools in the States? The only 'troubled' medical school seems to be Rosalind Franklin which is experiencing some financial difficulty, not academic, as far as I know. All the other MD schools seems to be pretty good....am I missing something?

If it was me, and I had the choice, I'd pick the instate MD school unless the DO school is also public---debt isn't something to laugh at and the MD degree will give you a better shot at getting into competitive residency, although that is no guarantee either. Just a way to save money and keep more options open....but in the end, I can't imagine you could go wrong either way, you're gonna be a doc! ;)

Megalofyia said:
on a side note...

I thought DOs in Britain can only act like a chiropractor?
Can you show me the link to this information? I'm very excited about this news!