Bad to repeat some of the things written in pers stat again in secondary app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hobbes01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it's bad to repeat some of the same things I wrote in my personal statement again in my secondary applications. For example, in my statement, I wrote about an experience I had that made me really appreciate the osteopathic profession. Is it ok to write about that same experience to answer questions about why I am interested in osteopathic medicine?

Also, since most D.O. schools don't screen the primary applications before sending out secondaries, do they look at the primary application along with the secondary application or how does that work? I guess I'm asking, when do they look at the primary application if they don't use it to screen?

Hobbes

Members don't see this ad.

hey hobbes
im not sure when they look at the primary if its not used to screen..but i pretty much just copied and pasted my personal statement from the primary to the secondaries that asked personal questions. it seemed to work for me..im going to school in the fall. good luck!

I'd recommend that you at least tweak things a bit between your primary and secondary apps.

When I interviewed, it was clear that my interviewers had just read both apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Dr. Mom. As long as your actually answering the question on the secondary, I think it's okay to repeat material from your primary application, but definitely rework it (or even better update it with new information).

Thanks for your helpful replies!

Ok, I have another question now. Do you think it's ok to use the same intro and conclusion (I really like it and I think it works well) as my personal statement but rewrite a lot of the body of the statement? (Like adding in new things)
Thanks for your input!

Hobbes

Well, IMO, I think you should be able to do that. However, don't forget that people tend to remember the intro and conclusion of essays more than the body.
GOOD LUCK

I would change it just a little...because if they do notice it, they are going to think you are lazy or you don't care enough to make up a different response. That's a big problem because DO schools tend to care more for an individual than stats...so, show that you care more about DO schools than sending out a generic answer to everyone.

Also, the questions they ask you are not exactly like their essay questions...similar, but not exact. Remember to answer ALL parts of the question. I know that seems really elementary, but believe me...they are looking for people that are thorough.

Good luck...I know that those questions are tedious at times (I think Western had 5 essays!!!) But, take your time to reply and make sure your answers are a good representation of you since they usually don't start interviews till the end of September
:)

Good Luck!