Bad to 'sit' on secondaries for too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oil_rig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I expect to be verified by AMCAS around end of July - first week of August at the latest.
Thus far, I've only submitted primaries to 2 schools (to get verification going) and intend to add ~20-25 more schools.

I would add them now, but I'm afraid I'll get a secondary right away, which I'd then be compelled to submit within 2 weeks (i.e. before I'm even verified at AMCAS primary level).

So, my question is: would it be bad form to 'sit on a secondary' for like 3-4 weeks if I started adding schools now, but didn't return a secondary until end of July/first week of August? I'm pre-writing them now anyways but I figure there's no harm in giving myself the extra time to perfect until last week of July/first week of August when I'm verified.

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely add the schools now and stop wasting time. It usually works out in that you’re not going to get all the secondaries at once. Each school has their own approach to processing primaries depending if they screen or not. This is your primary job right now, put in the work, and you’re right, don’t sit on em too long, no more than 2 weeks in my opinion.

You have to “triage” the schools. Generally it’s a good idea to prioritize your state schools, then work on the ones that screen out applicants, also look out for ones that give you a deadline (ex: 2 weeks or 10 days, etc), after you have finished the priority ones pretty much fill them out as they come in chronologically.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not add more schools until you have an MCAT score!
They will be received withing a business day as soon as you add them.
You can pre-write secondaries as long as you like (or at least for another month).

Haha I do have an MCAT score in!
So you suggest waiting to add around mid-July if I expect to be verified and done pre-writing by end of July? (Rather than obtaining secondaries now and sitting on them?)

Haha I do have an MCAT score in!
So you suggest waiting to add around mid-July if I expect to be verified and done pre-writing by end of July? (Rather than obtaining secondaries now and sitting on them?)
Turn them in, then!

Pre-writing is your friend. I was able to get interviews earlier and also get rejections earlier. Anything that you can control will feel better in the long run.

Reactions: 1 users
No get them now and do then now ! There is no reason whatsoever to wait until verification to start getting and returning secondaries. You have only your neurotic fear stopping you. Now get to work!!!

Haha okay! I'm sold, I'll add schools to my primary the second I get my sweet 0% APR for the first 12 billing cycles credit card in the mail this week!