Bada ss groups wasting potential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling a little down, music wise.

KORN is my favorite group.

Just watched a video of them performing Right Now at CBGBs circa 2002....

The four original bandmembers on a teeny stage, raw, intense.

Then watched a video of Korn in 2007 performing the same song...sans Brian Welch and David Silveria with the new Slipknot influence...

I saw them live in 2007.

IT AIN'T THE SAME.

I wish i could speak personally to the original band:

"DUDES, WTF?"

"Lets think REAL WORLD for a minute, Dudes! You've got a platinum-record-selling band, right? You're like, uhhhh, twenty five, right? So lets all keep it straight, keep it light, and STAY TOGETHER for the next TEN YEARS. Put off the drugs/solo aspirations/finding Jesus/narcisissm/whatever issues et al for a while.....there will be PLENTY of time to do drugs/women/find Jesus/be narcisistic ten years from now.....lets treat this band like a MARRIAGE.....lets work things out, so ten years from now each of us will have FIFTY MIL IN THE BANK, OK?

"OK?"

Nope.

Cuppla band members leave.

KORN carries on, yes.

But it ain't the same, ladies and gentlemen.

It ain't the same.

I think I could start a cottage industry influencing young, successful musicians.

And make them richer.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I do like the fact that you assume the members of KORN could/would act with the rational parts of their brains :laugh:

2. I forget who on here loves TOOL - but thanks for the reminder that they are un-f**king-believable. I dug through some more of 10,000 days and Lateralus and boy, am I glad I did. I even learned something about the drug they apparently like to take: DMT. Cheers.

Put off the drugs/solo aspirations/finding Jesus/narcisissm/whatever issues et al for a while.....there will be PLENTY of time to do drugs/women/find Jesus/be narcisistic ten years from now.....lets treat this band like a MARRIAGE.....lets work things out, so ten years from now each of us will have FIFTY MIL IN THE BANK, OK?

"OK?"

Nope.

Cuppla band members leave.

You know, I opened this thread expecting something else... maybe a few wise words about keeping a practice (a.k.a. "group") together.

But, in no small way, you've still hit the nail on the head and this has a direct corollary to being in a Anesthesia Practice.

Of course, there is a lot more "business" and a lot less personal drug taking (I hope) in an anesthesia practice, but how many small practices implode or get taken over by the very same things you elucidate above?

I think you can't change human nature, Jet. And, as much as you probably could drop some huge knowledge on those Korn dudes, they wouldn't listen. They're not thinking that far ahead. And, that's the key. Think ahead. Plan accordingly.

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
Korn is weak now, I agree.

Slipknot is incredible as is Mudvayne.

On my harder side, Gojira.

I drum and all these bands have amazing drummers that leave me scratching my head thinking "how the f*ck did he do that."

Korn couldn't keep the rage and angst going. They haven't been the same since 2000 IMO.

In the gym, I started listening to Winds of Plague, The Breathing Process, For the Fallen Dreams, Stemm, and Cavalera Conspiracy to make up for the current lack of good rock. These metal bands are kinda juvenile, but I need something to work with.

Sigh.

I agree with Jet, many groups are lightening up from how they used to perform. I thought Metallica's new one was going to be weak, I was totally wrong, it is unbelievable. I just started listening to Five Finger Death Punch while training. Very nice

While it might be lame to some, after beating Rock Band 1 and opening up all the music on 2 playing the drums, I have a much deeper appreciation for metal drummers.

Seriously, I feel like I had to Forrest Gump my way through some of those songs. The idea that an actual person can perform at that level for an entire set is just ridickulous.

Oh, and I played GNR's new song Shackelton's Revenge and I was impressed that it didn't suck like I thought it would. It actually sounds like it was produced by the people that produce Static-X, which is a win in my book.