Badasses of the hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one in the hospital is a bad-ass.

Bad ass people are rock stars, athletes, and the such.

We are all nerds...accept it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Military battlefield surgeons are boss.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree. So many tools in my class can't get over superficial things like, he's the first Indian person to become Surgeon General. So what (and I think that's awesome in its own right)! Is that all Obama does? Try to please the masses?

The doctor doesn't have much clinical experience or public health experience. He was a staunch supporter of Obamacare.

If you point any fingers, people will assume you have a problem with Murthy's skin color.

This has nothing to do with the NRA, just the fact that he is not fit for the job!
I'm more qualified to be the surgeon general than this guy. Seriously.

Reactions: 8 users
His opponent was Mitt Romney--enough said!
Exactly. Obama's greatest quality during the second election was that he was not Mitt Romney.

Chances are the same corporations funded these two anyways. Yay democracy.

Who are the baddest docs in the hospital?

PTs. Well, I guess they're not doctors. But not everyone can do 300lb person bed transfers with hardcore style.

Just throwin' it out there...lets see if I get any love. Or hate. :cool:

Reactions: 6 users
No one in the hospital is a bad-ass.

Bad ass people are rock stars, athletes, and the such.

We are all nerds...accept it.
I think you're a badass, as confirmed by your avatar.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait what's wrong with the Indian guy being the surgeon general? It seems most people were happy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I could take him in a cage match
Butt-face-prank.gif

this is what i look like when i try my hand at BJJ

Reactions: 4 users
Wait what's wrong with the Indian guy being the surgeon general? It seems most people were happy...
He supports Obamacare, and basically used his position as a major Obamacare advocate to get appointed to Surgeon General. He's clearly partisan and has an agenda. He has minimal working healthcare experience, and has primarily served as a suit from day 1. He doesn't give a damn about what happens to the profession of medicine, so long as he personally comes out ahead in the end. Notice how he wants other physicians to be forced into Obamacare while he wants to be an administrator and thus gets to dodge all of the suck by putting himself higher up the food chain, where the money will collect before being doled out to physicians under ACAs? The guy's an administrative bottom feeder with an MD degree.

Reactions: 13 users
He supports Obamacare, and basically used his position as a major Obamacare advocate to get appointed to Surgeon General. He's clearly partisan and has an agenda. He has minimal working healthcare experience, and has primarily served as a suit from day 1. He doesn't give a damn about what happens to the profession of medicine, so long as he personally comes out ahead in the end. Notice how he wants other physicians to be forced into Obamacare while he wants to be an administrator and thus gets to dodge all of the suck by putting himself higher up the food chain, where the money will collect before being doled out to physicians under ACAs? The guy's an administrative bottom feeder with an MD degree.

Damn MJ, why you gotta be so eloquent and descriptive and ****? I like my explanation better :D :D :D:D jk

You guys/gals are judging the guy without even giving him a chance. Almost everyone has a point of view regarding the ACA or Obamacare...

You guys/gals are judging the guy without even giving him a chance. Almost everyone has a point of view regarding the ACA or Obamacare...

and you're surprised at this? we're probably the judgiest of the judgey people like, ever.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you looked at how involved he was with Obamacare? You literally couldn't be a more strong advocate for it than this guy. He started a nonprofit organization that accrued 15,000 members that lobbied in support of it. That's not a point of view, that is a political agenda. Let's think about it in a different context. There's a big difference between a person that is against gay marriage rights because of religious reasons or whatever and one that goes out and starts a 15,000 member strong Super PAC to fight gay marriage legislation. Guy one has an opinion. Guy two has a serious political agenda.

Reactions: 2 users
Who cares if he is Indian? The man is unqualified from a CV perspective to be Surgeon General. He hasn't even had practice at running his own IM dept. as Chairman much less filling this role which is even huger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon_General_of_the_United_States. His main qualification is being the head of a partisan group that advocated for Obama's healthcare law as "Doctors for Obama".

Who cares if he is Indian? The man is unqualified from a CV perspective to be Surgeon General. He hasn't even had practice at running his own IM dept. as Chairman much less filling this role which is even huger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon_General_of_the_United_States. His main qualification is being the head of a partisan group that advocated for Obama's healthcare law as "Doctors for Obama".

lol, my dad sent me a text yesterday that said "i hear the new surgeon general is single. and hes a physician. normally i would tell you to go marry him, but hes an obama fan"

i cant even. :rofl:

Reactions: 8 users
Of course he's an administrative suit. You didn't think he got an MBA for nothing right?

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/vivek-murthy/0/675/856

Last edited:
lol, my dad sent me a text yesterday that said "i hear the new surgeon general is single. and hes a physician. normally i would tell you to go marry him, but hes an obama fan"

i cant even. :rofl:
I can see why.

Of course he's an administrative suit. You didn't think he got an MBA for nothing right?

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/vivek-murthy/0/675/856
Yeah, I'm pretty well aware of his history. The guy wants to skim money off the backs of hard-working physicians, and he knows that the best way to do that is by having the money that's going to them be as predictable as possible. Best way to do that is if the money is coming out of the biggest pockets of all, the federal government. He doesn't give a **** about us, all he cares about is prestige and lining his own pockets.

I've just dealt with so many of this sort of dude over the years that I can call them from a mile away. They're the kinds of guys that never practiced medicine and tell everyone that they'll "have to do more with less" when cuts come down the pipe, all the while they're taking home a fat bonus and a paycheck that puts the hardest working docs in the hospital to shame.

This coming from the dentist...the most hated of all healthcare providers...at least by those currently in the chair...

:p

Im no ordinary dentist, I'm allo's honorary dentist. And practically SDN legend.

*hops off her pedestal*

:D

Reactions: 2 users
Lol at the muscley guys covered in tattoos as the ones being the most scared of innocent nice smiley me coming at them with a needle :D :D :D

Have you looked at how involved he was with Obamacare? You literally couldn't be a more strong advocate for it than this guy. He started a nonprofit organization that accrued 15,000 members that lobbied in support of it. That's not a point of view, that is a political agenda. Let's think about it in a different context. There's a big difference between a person that is against gay marriage rights because of religious reasons or whatever and one that goes out and starts a 15,000 member strong Super PAC to fight gay marriage legislation. Guy one has an opinion. Guy two has a serious political agenda.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Im no ordinary dentist, I'm allo's honorary dentist. And practically SDN legend.

*hops off her pedestal*

:D

This is true. I wouldn't cop as big of an attitude as I usually do if you were doing my filling...

Tough question. No specialty in particular comes to mind as being that much more hardcore than the others, let alone in general.

Tough question. No specialty in particular comes to mind as being that much more hardcore than the others, let alone in general.

What? Ok right knocking off at 5:30 and strolling in sometime after 9 to work on noncritical patients is the same intensity as can't to can't of fully pressurized life in your hands moments. One after the other. C'mon!

As far as medicine not having its badasses...I guess my definition is different.

What? Ok right knocking off at 5:30 and strolling in sometime after 9 to work on noncritical patients is the same intensity as can't to can't of fully pressurized life in your hands moments. One after the other. C'mon!

As far as medicine not having its badasses...I guess my definition is different.

I guess I should have qualified my statement. None of the "badass fields" is really that much more badass than the rest. They all do different things, so it's more of what particular parts of medicine do you find fascinating?

I guess I should have qualified my statement. None of the "badass fields" is really that much more badass than the rest. They all do different things, so it's more of what particular parts of medicine do you find fascinating?

I think I see where some of the difference in opinion is coming from on this.

If I say...damn...that's a bad@ss chick. Or the new Hobbit movie is bad@ss. Then that's one meaning. But if I say you have to be a bad@ss to do X then that's where there is a clear, I would say, objective difference in badassness among the widely differing careers in medicine.

I other words, pick up that drill and drain this guy's skull of blood stat. I don't care if you're a professional football player who smashes people into last week on the Reg, you might get weak in the knees at the thought of it.

Vs for instance talking to someone about their eating disorder.

One makes you badass, the other makes you a nice person to talk to. Both are careers in the wild world of medicine. There's a difference people. It's just being PC to say otherwise.

I think I see where some of the difference in opinion is coming from on this.

If I say...damn...that's a bad@ss chick. Or the new Hobbit movie is bad@ss. Then that's one meaning. But if I say you have to be a bad@ss to do X then that's where there is a clear, I would say, objective difference in badassness among the widely differing careers in medicine.

I other words, pick up that drill and drain this guy's skull of blood stat. I don't care if you're a professional football player who smashes people into last week on the Reg, you might get weak in the knees at the thought of it.

Vs for instance talking to someone about their eating disorder.

One makes you badass, the other makes you a nice person to talk to. Both are careers in the wild world of medicine. There's a difference people. It's just being PC to say otherwise.

As the guy drilling the holes in heads, color me unimpressed about sawing chests open or playing with vent settings and drips all day. Like I said, it's all about perspective. I like brains, not butts and guts, though to someone who does, perhaps hepatobiliary is badass.

Just thought I would point something out to those who say the ICU/CC docs are the most badasss (autocorrect preferred that I type bad dads lol, how fitting). While they may bring in some of the highest revenue's for the hospital, they also are the single highest cost for any hospital too. I was talking to one hospital admin and he was telling me that for every ten beds of ICU they needed to keep 8-9 patients at all times just to break even. If they are full they are making bank, but he said on the flip side, it's so expensive to run an ICU that if you had say 4/10 patients for something like 2 weeks, it could be a situation where the hospital would not be able to make up that loss for that quarter. Keep in mind this is in aggregate. The example assumed that hospital only has 1 ICU with 10 beds. So say you have 5 different ICU (picu, nicu, cticu, sicu, micu) each one with 10 beds the hospital just to break even needs 40-45 patients on census at all times (clearly you can shift the gap between units to compensate for individual fluctuations.

I was super surprised by this and found the conversation very interesting.

As the guy drilling the holes in heads, color me unimpressed about sawing chests open or playing with vent settings and drips all day. Like I said, it's all about perspective. I like brains, not butts and guts, though to someone who does, perhaps hepatobiliary is badass.

:laugh:. OK. Color me Badd too.

It's ok bro some of us are lovers. Just embrace it. It's not just any typical bad@ss who can wrap up the honnies in that sexy 90's R&B vibe.

The day he leaves office cannot come any sooner. It still boggles my mind how he could have been elected for a second term.
Simple. You can't compete against giving free stuff - which the "stupid American voter" is now finding out isn't free after all.

Reactions: 3 users
What about dentists!? We're so important. We save people from the brink of having cavities and calculus. Don't even get me started on gingivitis.

What about dentists!? We're so important. We save people from the brink of having cavities and calculus. Don't even get me started on gingivitis.

hey now, I wander around the hospital in my lulu and white coat, saving the day more times than I can count. that's why I nominated myself in this thread :D :D

Simple. You can't compete against giving free stuff - which the "stupid American voter" is now finding out isn't free after all.
That is weird! My sister got a check when Bush was president and she told me that was the reason she voted for McCain and Romney... Why didn't Obama send her one?

It seems like this just another thinly-veiled form of cronyism, and it isn't even the first time this year that he's brazenly pushed it right out in front of everybody:
http://news.yahoo.com/watch-what-happens-when-obama-picks-a-top-donor-as-ambassador-161931672.html

I remember my boss at my lab showing me videos of people explaining their excitement over the free cell phones they received, "Obama gave me a free phone! Obama gave me a free phone!"

I guess it's a pretty easy way to win votes...

Last edited:
That is weird! My sister got a check when Bush was president and she told me that was the reason she voted for McCain and Romney... Why didn't Obama send her one?
Do you know what a tax refund check is?

Status
Not open for further replies.