Badasses of the hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

Except that's actually not Obama's doing.
I was going to respond to that as well... people are just too emotional when it comes to politics; therefore, they don't even do their homework. Democrats are big spender according to republicans, but when you look at the modern era, republicans spend more than democrats... They just spend it in different ****...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I never said it was: was just relaying my experience. Plenty of people thought it was and it had a great deal of influence. That was my point.
It had more negative impact than positive- it really polarized the hell out of old Faux News watching Republicans, despite Obama having nothing to do with it. People are ******ed.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol... I think both FOX NEWS and MSNBC should be shut down because they mislead people in some many ways... It's sickening!

Members don't see this ad :)
EM/IM/CC residents are able to handle all the rapid responses/acute events on the floor, manage critically ill patients, and handle many emergent procedures. Honestly, you are not going to find many more well rounded residents out there.

EM/IM/CC residents are able to handle all the rapid responses/acute events on the floor, manage critically ill patients, and handle many emergent procedures. Honestly, you are not going to find many more well rounded residents out there.

*He said completely without bias*
:p

Reactions: 3 users
I believe if you are a pimp ass general surgeon you get a lot of rapport from colleagues. This surgeon I work with gets back massages from all the nurses wherever he goes and gets his D sucked by drug and surgical instrument reps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe if you are a pimp ass general surgeon you get a lot of rapport from colleagues. This surgeon I work with gets back massages from all the nurses wherever he goes and gets his D sucked by drug and surgical instrument reps.

Sounds classy

Oh that's comforting. ><

I will say Psychiatry. Nobody else wants to deal with all the crazies. Just look at how bad our mental healthcare is in this country.

Ever dealt with the crazies on full tilt and you know what I mean. The other stuff is cool and life saving. But rarely is YOUR life in danger.

EM has similar dealings. But, unless they are in the lockdown Psy unit in the ER I still have not seen worse overall in a general basis.

And don't even get me talking about the prisons.......

Military docs are badass of course but not what I am thinking in terms of this discussion of pure specialties.

I'm going to have to log a vote for Cardiothoracic surgery.

There's nothing as bad ass as someone coding and literally cutting open the chest and massagin the heart back to life.

Reactions: 4 users

Why would you suck on a letter? That's asinine. Like, I'm not even sure how that works.

To answer the OP's question: everyone knows the epidemiologists rule the roost. DUH.

Lol... I think both FOX NEWS and MSNBC should be shut down because they mislead people in some many ways... It's sickening!

RT News, Jesse Ventura, Reason Magazine and Ron Paul FTW.

Exactly. Obama's greatest quality during the second election was that he was not Mitt Romney.

Chances are the same corporations funded these two anyways. Yay democracy.

Or, to re-phrase in 2008 terms:

"It wasn't Barack Obama who got Obama elected; it was Sarah Palin."

:laugh:

Like everything else,it all depends on the context. What most people think of as "badass" is leading the intervention on critically ill patients. In the setting of a big trauma that would be the trauma surgeon (including cracking the chest in the ED if necessary, generally not CT surg). If that trauma's most life-threatening injury is a big epidural then suddenly the neurosurgeon is the "badass." If a patient is crashing in the ICU then it's the intensivist, Unless of course its due to intra-abdominal sepsis (General Surgery to the rescue!) or a STEMI (Cardiology to the rescue!). Or the patient has acute urinary retention and a difficult foley and the Urologist is the hero!! (I keed). In reality it's a pointless argument to have. In general if you want to be dealing with critically ill patients who require emergent intervention you're best off in EM, ICU, trauma, gensurg, CT surg, anesthesia, etc. Keep in mind that with the exception of true "shift based" specialties (EM, ICU, occasionally trauma or acute care surgery), those critically ill patients mean lots of being on call and going to the hospital in the middle of the night. Give me my surgical sub-specialty, elective but cool OR cases, minimal call, and a healthy lifestyle over that any day.

Also remember that things like running codes or traumas, while exciting, are actually extremely formulaic and algorithim driven precisely because its difficult to do deep/complex reasoning when someone is crashing in front of you. A trauma at a well-run trauma center has minimal drama involved as everyone knows their role and gets it done without the yelling and chaos that occurs on TV.

yeah but they don't swallow so how badass can he really be

I felt like a badass cracking open peoples' chests in the ER when they were coming in after being shot. There is something about splashing iodine and using a 10 blade to open their entire chest in one hand motion... They all died before leaving the hospital, but still...

Although there was that one time we cracked someone's chest after a massive PE and did a mechanical thrombectomy. That was pretty badass too...

Reactions: 5 users
I felt like a badass cracking open peoples' chests in the ER when they were coming in after being shot. There is something about splashing iodine and using a 10 blade to open their entire chest in one hand motion... They all died before leaving the hospital, but still...

Although there was that one time we cracked someone's chest after a massive PE and did a mechanical thrombectomy. That was pretty badass too...

Gross ><

Like everything else,it all depends on the context. What most people think of as "badass" is leading the intervention on critically ill patients. In the setting of a big trauma that would be the trauma surgeon (including cracking the chest in the ED if necessary, generally not CT surg). If that trauma's most life-threatening injury is a big epidural then suddenly the neurosurgeon is the "badass." If a patient is crashing in the ICU then it's the intensivist, Unless of course its due to intra-abdominal sepsis (General Surgery to the rescue!) or a STEMI (Cardiology to the rescue!). Or the patient has acute urinary retention and a difficult foley and the Urologist is the hero!! (I keed). In reality it's a pointless argument to have. In general if you want to be dealing with critically ill patients who require emergent intervention you're best off in EM, ICU, trauma, gensurg, CT surg, anesthesia, etc. Keep in mind that with the exception of true "shift based" specialties (EM, ICU, occasionally trauma or acute care surgery), those critically ill patients mean lots of being on call and going to the hospital in the middle of the night. Give me my surgical sub-specialty, elective but cool OR cases, minimal call, and a healthy lifestyle over that any day.

Also remember that things like running codes or traumas, while exciting, are actually extremely formulaic and algorithim driven precisely because its difficult to do deep/complex reasoning when someone is crashing in front of you. A trauma at a well-run trauma center has minimal drama involved as everyone knows their role and gets it done without the yelling and chaos that occurs on TV.

Honestly, i prefer when the codes are formulaic, makes it easier to comprehend...

Beta blockers.
Must be an extended release formulation. Yeah, it's truly amazing during a code blue how completely calm and methodical they are. I tried asking them how do they know when to do what so calmly and smoothly, and keep everything straight, and they were like, "Oh, I just follow the ACLS flowchart card. It's pretty easy" and I then look at the card and I'm like:
J0yzMvN.gif

Internship really does build life-long friendships.

I felt like a badass cracking open peoples' chests in the ER when they were coming in after being shot. There is something about splashing iodine and using a 10 blade to open their entire chest in one hand motion..

Tina-Fey-gif-tina-fey-23649689-300-170.gif

Must be an extended release formulation. Yeah, it's truly amazing during a code blue how completely calm and methodical they are. I tried asking them how do they know when to do what so calmly and smoothly, and keep everything straight, and they were like, "Oh, I just follow the ACLS flowchart card. It's pretty easy" and I then look at the card and I'm like:

Internship really does build life-long friendships.

Meh, I'm sure we look pretty calm when we do our ATLS protocols in the trauma bay. A lot of it is extremely repetitive. I'm sure I looked a little nuts the first time I did an ED thoracotomy, but at some point you flip over into:

#1 Get page saying, "Multiple GSW to chest"
#2 Walk over to cart with supplies and take out the thoracotomy tray.
#3 Place tray in Trauma bay next to central lines and chest tubes
#4 Gown and glove.
#5 Wait.
#6 Wait.
#7 Pt rolls in and you go. Same algorithm every time.

It is easy to put blinders on when you focus on one thing like getting a heart back or getting them to the OR. Even if that is a big thing, once you block out the severity of the situation and focus, it isn't hard to hit your stride if you've been doing it enough.

Meh, I'm sure we look pretty calm when we do our ATLS protocols in the trauma bay. A lot of it is extremely repetitive. I'm sure I looked a little nuts the first time I did an ED thoracotomy, but at some point you flip over into:

#4 Gown and glove.
#5 Wait.
#6 Wait.

It is easy to put blinders on when you focus on one thing like getting a heart back or getting them to the OR. Even if that is a big thing, once you block out the severity of the situation and focus, it isn't hard to hit your stride if you've been doing it enough.
It's more keeping everything straight once you're with the patient and watching everything you need to watch simultaneously that I think is the most difficult. Not to mention the huge excess of people stopping what they're doing, coming to watch and but not actually helping or doing anything. Definitely a compartmentalizing moment for sure - just don't know how they don't bite a person's head off in the entire time-sensitive process.

This plus @Nasrudin first post in this thread are the best and most complete answers. I've gotten panicked calls CT Surgeons, Vascular surgeons, Neuro surgeons, Gen Surgeons, Trauma Surgeons, EP's, and Cardiologists since starting my gig as an intensivist, and I've also placed my own calls back to most of these same people. Everyone has their own specific area of operational expertise, with many tricks that overlap, but no physician is an island any longer.

And this "bad ass" (in quotes for a reason) work is generally thankless, but requires work 24/7, holidays, nights, and weekends.

Who is a bad enough dude to save the president??

Dr. Ben Carson, pediatric neurosurgeon and calls out the President at his National Prayer Breakfast. Badass.

Reactions: 3 users

#4 Gown and glove.
#5 Wait.
#6 Wait.

I want to be you.

#4 Gown and glove.
#5 Wait.
#6 Wait.

oh shut up and get on a dos equis commercial already

Reactions: 6 users
oh shut up and get on a dos equis commercial already
I am convinced mimelim has supernatural powers and is unaffected by mortal pangs of hunger, sleep, or thirst.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.