Badasses of the hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/sunday-review/doctors-salaries-are-not-the-big-cost.html

The biggest badasses can be found in here, as alluded to by many others in this thread.

It is truly baffling how any human being who offers no direct service for people, has not invented something important, and generally does not contribute to furthering mankind, can make that kind of money (lets leave sports players and famous people out of this).

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah CEOs don't bring anything to the table, they're just random people picked off the street. They contribute nothing. But anna kendrick, yeah she does so much more for the world than a CEO does.

Jesus Christ. I swear medical students are the most naive bunch of people in the world. So an avg person goes " why does a doctor make 200k , that's too much " and the medical student goes " OMG MY LIFE IS SO HARD I DESERVE IT," and then they look at a CEO who makes 500k and say " why does a CEO make 500k"

Newsflash kids, no one in this world makes big money without someone, somewhere along the line earning it.

Reactions: 2 users
I am convinced mimelim has supernatural powers and is unaffected by mortal pangs of hunger, sleep, or thirst.

its always the most powerful that turn evil

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/sunday-review/doctors-salaries-are-not-the-big-cost.html

The biggest badasses can be found in here, as alluded to by many others in this thread.

It is truly baffling how any human being who offers no direct service for people, has not invented something important, and generally does not contribute to furthering mankind, can make that kind of money (lets leave sports players and famous people out of this).

Typical NY Times article - always hating on doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
That article is about how administrators raise health care costs. It is not bashing doctors, if anything it's putting them in a good light... Are you guys really that delusional

I like how the dinguses on Wall Street write comments on the NY Times article thinking that somehow people will feel sorry for them and that they can throw doctors under the bus like they've thrown teachers under the bus, just bc they can whine about such high salaries doctors can command.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah CEOs don't bring anything to the table, they're just random people picked off the street. They contribute nothing. But anna kendrick, yeah she does so much more for the world than a CEO does.

Jesus Christ. I swear medical students are the most naive bunch of people in the world. So an avg person goes " why does a doctor make 200k , that's too much " and the medical student goes " OMG MY LIFE IS SO HARD I DESERVE IT," and then they look at a CEO who makes 500k and say " why does a CEO make 500k"

Newsflash kids, no one in this world makes big money without someone, somewhere along the line earning it.
And you'd be wrong. Not that that has stopped you in the past.

Reactions: 3 users
That article is about how administrators raise health care costs. It is not bashing doctors, if anything it's putting them in a good light... Are you guys really that delusional
Yea sorry, I was more with derm on this.... The article itself is not bashing docs really, but some of the comments are pretty striking.

And you'd be wrong. Not that that has stopped you in the past.
Exactly... My best friend's dad is a CFO of a good sized community hospital. I have obviously talked to him pretty extensively about this. His dad is a really nice guy and all, and no doubt he is excellent at networking (otherwise he wouldnt have his job), but I guess it does turn my stomach a little knowing that one day a dude like him would be making 2-3x what I make and does a fraction of the work, and deals with a small percentage of the headache that physicians deal with. Upon pressing him about what his does actually does he commented that his dad legitimately works about 2 hours a day. The other 6-7 hours he is "walking around, talking about golf, greasing palms, reading the news, leaving work to go get coffee a couple of times a day, and cutting a ribbon or handing out one of those big checks once a week."

For reals, once you get to the top, like 90% of your work is basically just hanging out with other rich people, moving some money from here to there, and making an occasional decision that has strong implications. At least that is my limited experience seeing it.

Exactly... My best friend's dad is a CFO of a good sized community hospital. I have obviously talked to him pretty extensively about this. His dad is a really nice guy and all, and no doubt he is excellent at networking (otherwise he wouldnt have his job), but I guess it does turn my stomach a little knowing that one day a dude like him would be making 2-3x what I make and does a fraction of the work, and deals with a small percentage of the headache that physicians deal with. Upon pressing him about what his does actually does he commented that his dad legitimately works about 2 hours a day. The other 6-7 hours he is "walking around, talking about golf, greasing palms, reading the news, leaving work to go get coffee a couple of times a day, and cutting a ribbon or handing out one of those big checks once a week."

For reals, once you get to the top, like 90% of your work is basically just hanging out with other rich people, moving some money from here to there, and making an occasional decision that has strong implications. At least that is my limited experience seeing it.
Yup, physicians have been nearly corporatized just like every other profession, sapping the joy out of it. I'm sure teachers and engineers will feel sorry for us and come to our aid since we came to theirs, oh wait...

One of the times I have to agree with you on this...the line you highlighted has to be one of the more dumb things I've ever read. Along the lines of comments on CNN and Fox news articles.
Anyone who works in the United States knows that management gets their cut no matter what, even with physicians as the worker bees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cardiothoracic surgeons and trauma surgeons are the top. Buuut must admit that every time I encounter a plastic surgeon, I feel like I have met a celebrity andd very time I encounter an anesthesiologist, I always imagine him whining in SDN while being in the OR.

Cardiothoracic surgeons and trauma surgeons are the top. Buuut must admit that every time I encounter a plastic surgeon, I feel like I have met a celebrity andd very time I encounter an anesthesiologist, I always imagine him whining in SDN while being in the OR.

Ohhhhuh! With the shades. And the whole tuff guy thing. Badaboom.

Yeah anyone gets to be a CFO for doing nothing. Lol whatever, you tell people they can't understand your training pathway without going through it, but claim to know theres. If everyone could be a corporate exec, they would. Occasional decision that has strong implications? lol ok

ER MDs (the good ones), Trauma surgeons, and the Pulmonary/Critical Care MDs. I work in a level I trauma ED, and I'm always totally impressed at how the trauma guys and the intensivists deliver flawless performances under highly stressful conditions.

You gotta admit, the ability to stay cool and be smart when two of your patients are coding at the same time is pretty cool.

Ohhhhuh! With the shades. And the whole tuff guy thing. Badaboom.

As a surgery resident, I find all the comments about trauma surgeons and CT surgeons being the B-As of the hospital humorous.

Trauma surgeons are...um...usually not exactly the greatest technical surgeons. Let's just leave it at that.

CT surgeons - everyone here seems awed over the possibility of a CT surgeon cracking a chest in a split second for an emergency and performing cardiac massage (or apparently cross-clamping the aorta with their bare hands, which, once again, I'm sorry but that was the dumbest most implausible story I've heard in a while). At my hospital if we tried to call a CT surgeon while a patient was coding in the ED and needed a thoracotomy, the response would be "um, why are you bothering me at home?". CT surgeons usually have great technical skills in their limited domain, but it's hardly the guts and glory I'm hearing here. Trauma is a tiny, tiny portion of CT surgery.

I guess it's just that you are non-plussed by the things you have the most exposure to.

If I'm going to throw a name into the hat for badasses - I'll go with Transplant. They deal with crazy sick patients. They do operations that if any other surgeon attempted to do it, the patient would die on the table. I've seen a transplant fellow suture a vena cava injury in the ICU. We had a patient in IR bleeding out from gastric varices - the transplant team did a total gastrectomy in under twenty minutes.

Trauma surgeons are...um...usually not exactly the greatest technical surgeons. Let's just leave it at that.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the idea that technical prowess should be a significant contributing factor to baddassery. Chuck Norris is a badass because he kicks ass and takes names, not because he can bullseye swamp rats, which are not much bigger than 2 meters, in his T-16 back home.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the idea that technical prowess should be a significant contributing factor to baddassery. Chuck Norris is a badass because he kicks ass and takes names, not because he can bullseye swamp rats, which are not much bigger than 2 meters, in his T-16 back home.

Well surgeons generally won't hold other surgeons in high regard unless they are technical wizards. It is a prereq

anyone taht works, takes responsability and doesnt turf to others just because they can.

wahhhh, most surgeons would keep operating on a deceased person if there wasnt a anesthesist in the room.

wahhhh, most surgeons would keep operating on a deceased person if there wasnt a anesthesist in the room.
You know for someone who sometimes gives good advice, I'm amazed by your need to troll.

Ophtho, clearly. All the other doctors pass out when they see me stick needles and scalpels into people's eyeballs. Bunch of pansies...

Reactions: 6 users

Lol

30min later...

"hey can we get more relaxation over here!"

Typical NY Times article - always hating on doctors.

Very typical of Rosenthal. All I have to do is read the title and I know the 3rd grade argument she'll put forth. AMA and AMSA loyal med students LOVE her work.

At his point have we left any specialty out? Seems like errbody is badass.

anyone can be a bad ass, it matters more on the doc than the speciality in my opinion.

I will say Psychiatry. Nobody else wants to deal with all the crazies. Just look at how bad our mental healthcare is in this country.

Ever dealt with the crazies on full tilt and you know what I mean. The other stuff is cool and life saving. But rarely is YOUR life in danger.

EM has similar dealings. But, unless they are in the lockdown Psy unit in the ER I still have not seen worse overall in a general basis.

And don't even get me talking about the prisons.......

Military docs are badass of course but not what I am thinking in terms of this discussion of pure specialties.
There's a fine line between bad ass and crazy. I think inpatient psych might fall on the crazy side of that line.

Has someone mentioned emergency medicine?

Widest scope, sickest patients, highest census, open 24/7.

Has someone mentioned emergency medicine?

Widest scope, sickest patients, highest census, open 24/7.

What's your opinion of the following statement?

EM is the "Jack of all trades (or if you are negative a “master of nothing” haha). EM is all about breadth of knowledge rather than depth in any single specialty."

http://www.theherocomplex.com/emergency-medicine-2/

What's your opinion of the following statement?

EM is the "Jack of all trades (or if you are negative a “master of nothing” haha). EM is all about breadth of knowledge rather than depth in any single specialty."

http://www.theherocomplex.com/emergency-medicine-2/

u're talking about the "first aid experts" that get frightened with anything?

deep down I envy EM shifts and salaries

Last edited:
u're talking about the "first aid experts" that get frightened with anything?
deep down I envy EM shifts and salaries

Nope. I have seen those terms used on SDN and by other physicians. I bolded them in the post below.

Even if the post is bogus this EM vs Anes question is a common one. I'll give my two cents because I went through the same thing.

Keep in mind all advice is biased. Ask this question to on the EM boards and you'll get the other side I'm sure.

I initially matched EM coming from a med school with a state of the art ED in a setting with no other Level 1 trauma centers in the area. I was intent on being a gung-ho EM cowboy. I had some misgivings about the jack-of-all trades moniker and the lifestyle but charged forward anyway.

I started my intern year in IM in a large academic center in a major city. There I saw how EM is in the real world. Yes it's true everyone hates the EM physician. The jack-of-all trades master of none title is pretty accurate. The lifestyle isn't bad and the compensation way better than primary care. There is also an expiration date to your career in EM. It's rare to see old timers in an ED. Burnout is common.

It is nice for those who like immediate gratification in that you get first crack at a diagnosis. Trauma gets old and algorithmic. Does it really matter what other departments think of you? Everyone hates everyone no matter what....except the nephrologists, everyone loves the nephrologists.

Anesthesia to me was more of a career. You spend your residency learning the field and your career perfecting it. There is no way you could learn all there is to know in EM over a career....master of nothing. The lifestyle is whatever you want it to be depending on how much you want to earn.

There are downsides, mostly surgeon respect issues but you either get over it early on or you leave. There are also life/death issues that are similar I presume in the ED. Intentionally taking away a persons protective mechanisms can get hairy at times.

This wasn't as coherent as I'd hoped but I hope it helps some.

Ophtho, clearly. All the other doctors pass out when they see me stick needles and scalpels into people's eyeballs. Bunch of pansies...

Yea. What is it about messing with people's eyes that gets to me a bit? Maybe something about eyes being the windows of the soul. LOL
Great field though.

how is the jack of all trades thing like not apparent for EM. yeah they deal with a bit of everything and aren't really specializing in anything... that's not a negative, it's just their job.

I will say Psychiatry. Nobody else wants to deal with all the crazies. Just look at how bad our mental healthcare is in this country.

Ever dealt with the crazies on full tilt and you know what I mean. The other stuff is cool and life saving. But rarely is YOUR life in danger.

EM has similar dealings. But, unless they are in the lockdown Psy unit in the ER I still have not seen worse overall in a general basis.

And don't even get me talking about the prisons.......

Military docs are badass of course but not what I am thinking in terms of this discussion of pure specialties.

is this a joke? On Psych, if it was a crisis after 3:30pm, they just gave phone orders for ativan/haldol and would see them in the morning. That's not badass, that's just laziness.

In contrast, someone with a dissecting aorta at 2am gets evaluated and operated on in like 30 minutes by vascular. That's badass.

is this a joke? On Psych, if it was a crisis after 3:30pm, they just gave phone orders for ativan/haldol and would see them in the morning. That's not badass, that's just laziness.

In contrast, someone with a dissecting aorta at 2am gets evaluated and operated on in like 30 minutes by vascular. That's badass.

Yea, well. It can be a different kind of badass. Especially when the person has the ability to take down a number of people and/or himself also. Really mentally disturbed people that are escalating are scary--in the ED, ICU, or in a Psych unit. They are not always easy to get into chill mode either--even with chemical help.

It's apples and oranges.

Well surgeons generally won't hold other surgeons in high regard unless they are technical wizards. It is a prereq

How do you define technical prowess? Fine anastomoses and difficult dissections are not the only thing technical in surgery. Safely tearing through **** or quickly controlling bleeding/contamination in somebody on the verge of hemodynamic collapse isn't something all surgeons can do…

Trauma surgeons get a lot of flak for being poor technicians, but at a busy penetrating trauma center, they do some fine work...

Yea, well. It can be a different kind of badass. Especially when the person has the ability to take down a number of people and/or himself also. Really mentally disturbed people that are escalating are scary--in the ED, ICU, or in a Psych unit. They are not always easy to get into chill mode either--even with chemical help.

It's apples and oranges.

it's not like it's you and bane in a room by yourself with no one near. not saying there are aren't dangerous psych cases, but it's not like you're going 1 on 1 with a serial killer

Status
Not open for further replies.