Badly in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leeoo75

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was looking for any advice you may have. Here's my situation:

I just graduated with a Master's degree in human physiology (3.7 GPA) with two previous mcat scores of (6V, 9P, 10B)--taken on 2000 and (9V, 10P, 8B)--taken on 2000. When I checked my mcat scores for the exam i took on aug 2002, i was shocked to find a score of (6V, 8P, 10B)--my lowest score ever!

Now I'm applying to almost 30 schools this year and have already sent out close to 14 secondaries. I currently work full time, volunteer at a clinic and teach h.s. kids on the weekends.

I honestly expected a score above 30, given the time I spent studying for the mcat! Does this ruin my chances this year? The thought of taking the mcat again (horrifying) has also crossed my mind. What should I do??

--Thanks
Leo

Members don't see this ad.

Since you've already started the process, if it was me, I would just keep on doing what I've been doing. Although, for schools that don't like for people to apply more than once, I may not turn in those secondaries if you plan to take the MCAT again.

It's hard to say how each school will view your MCATs...i like to take the optimistic approach and look at the best score for each quesion. That considered, you have a 29, which isn't bad. It is just the variability in the verbal section that concerns me. Sorry I can't give you a good response, but I did the best I could. Tough situation though. Good luck.

i didn't think schools looked at the best from each section... are you sure that he's applying with a 29 and not a 27??? that could dramatically change his chances.

nonetheless, i agree- apply and see what happens. you have a respectable gpa and will only be out money if it doesn't work out this time... good luck man-
p

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by poloace
i didn't think schools looked at the best from each section...

I think a few schools do zig-zag between multiple tests and look at highest section scores...Tufts off the top of my head does, but that's the only one I know of.

Hi,
I think I can give you some advice. I am also getting an M.S. in Biology (physiology emphasis), have a 3.72 gpa and MCATS slightly higher than yours. I also have a ton of ECs just like you. I already interviewed once and have 2 other interviews coming up. I would just apply but be selective about the schools you fill out secondaries too. Only send out secondaries to schools in which you have a legit shot of getting an interview at.

Jetson