Balancing work study and school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Tony T. Chopper

Professional Whippersnapper
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few interesting partnerships with my school offering community service and research type workstudies. Does anyone have some words of advice for taking on one of these positions while balancing school work? Is this a horrible idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed a few interesting partnerships with my school offering community service and research type workstudies. Does anyone have some words of advice for taking on one of these positions while balancing school work? Is this a horrible idea?

Honestly given the kind of work that medical school entails, you will need to give it your all, I think any kind of job while going to medical school is a bad idea, its no like undergrad where you spend a couple of hours a day and pass. You need spend several hours, at least 6 or more per day outside of lecture each day per week studying the material to master it for your exams and boards. That does not leave much time for a job or other pursuits.

Reactions: 1 user

I have a few classmates who pull it off, but I'd recommend waiting a bit into first year before signing up to see if you can handle it. And there's no shame if you can't; for once I agree with @Seth Joo -- med school tends to be a full-time job. I give mad props to people who can multitask like that-- I need the hours I have free from studying to preserve my marriage and my sanity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone in my class works. I used to work full time in undergrad and couldn't even imagine working part-time in med school. Doesn't seem possible, at least with my schools schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
Bad idea. Live off your loans.

I guess I'm one of the people who pull it off, but I only work prn/per diem on Friday or Saturday nights as a medic. Never on a weekend before an exam. It actually helps me keep my sanity as I took the non-traditional route before going to med school. Then again, n=1!

Med school is a lot of work but the time commitment is grossly exaggerated, I suspect because the majority of med students have never held a real full-time job and it's more than anything they're used to in undergrad. It's a 45-50 hour per week commitment, on average, for someone of average learning capabilities (by med school standards) during M1 and M2.

Studying for 9 hours a day is certainly more mentally taxing than say, a job as an accountant, but the hours per week required to be successful is not any different than your typical full-time job. Most people wouldn't recommend working an additional job on top of a full-time job, but there are certainly people that do it. It just requires good time management skills.

Med school is a lot of work but the time commitment is grossly exaggerated, I suspect because the majority of med students have never held a real full-time job and it's more than anything they're used to in undergrad. It's a 45-50 hour per week commitment, on average, for someone of average learning capabilities (by med school standards) during M1 and M2.

Studying for 9 hours a day is certainly more mentally taxing than say, a job as an accountant, but the hours per week required to be successful is not any different than your typical full-time job. Most people wouldn't recommend working an additional job on top of a full-time job, but there are certainly people that do it. It just requires good time management skills.

What year of medical school are you in?

I appreciate the heads up, fellows. I am from a trad background with minimal work experience coming into M1. I will need to situate my spoiled ass properly in this 45-50 hr work week so I don't make a fool out of myself. :)

We do have other commitments in med school besides getting ready for the next exam. Most schools have PBL sessions and other activities that are mandatory... I never thought I would writing so many papers in med school. :(

I guess I'm one of the people who pull it off, but I only work prn/per diem on Friday or Saturday nights as a medic. Never on a weekend before an exam. It actually helps me keep my sanity as I took the non-traditional route before going to med school. Then again, n=1!

EMTs/midlevels tend to be the exceptions because of the opportunities and flexibility available to them. The vast majority of students don't/can't work during school year, aside from small campus gigs.

EMTs/midlevels tend to be the exceptions because of the opportunities and flexibility available to them. The vast majority of students don't/can't work during school year, aside from small campus gigs.

I'll agree with this. My civilian employment as a paramedic, both before and now during medical school, has always been extremely flexible. I can pick up a 12-hour shift on a Friday night, study, sleep and then get back at it Saturday morning. That is, of course, if we don't get slammed with calls but that's the risk I personally take.

I also agree with Azete. I thought being a non-trad would inherently increase the amount of studying I would have to do. But, I can still spend time with my wife and kids, work PRN as a medic, and fulfill my military obligations one weekend a month without compromising my grades. Aside from anatomy lecture/lab/coursework, I feel I spent more time with my PhD coursework and dissertation.

Disclaimer: I am not vying for an ultra competitive specialty nor is my family picky about residency location.

Then again, n=1.