Work-study during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrustMeImAProctor

Reaction score
I'll be starting med school in August and I was entertaining the idea of having a work-study position for MAX 8-10 hrs/week (either in a lab or office position on campus). I'd likely work a bulk of my hours on Friday afternoons (no classes after Friday afternoon with a few exceptions here and there). For any current medical student, do you guys think this would be realistic to pull off, or am I crazy to even think of doing anything else besides studying? Anyone with any prior work-study experience want to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

Very realistic, I know many people who did this. If you can get a job at the library, you can probably even study on the job.

Reactions: 1 users
I know a few people who work in the library and still do well. I don't work on campus, but I work as an RN at our local hospital, anywhere from 4 - 24 hours a week. I don't get to study on paper during work very often, but I get real-world review. My classmates who work on campus frequently get to study most of their shift. If you have the focus and ability to do that during slow times at work, I'd go for it! I personally fall asleep sitting at a desk and learn/remember far more when the doctor grabs me and quizzes me on a patient's case. I think you'd be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how much you need the money.

Me? I'd rather have 8 to 10 more hours to live my life. I don't think I could get good quality studying done on the job.