Baller Hospitalists 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thumbz

Crazy Canuck
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread died in 2020, and there have been 1 or 2 changes since then. So let's get a new thread going. How I envision this - if you're HM post your gig in the format below (modify it however you want). We can talk about offers and jobs and help answer questions that students, residents or hospitalists may have. I expect this thread to highlight the great deal of pay disparity in HM and let people see what makes jobs desirable versus not. What I don't want - don't turn this into a weiner measuring contest of networth, $ in a bank account, # of btc or anything like that. It makes the thread get cluttered and isn't applicable to everyone. For example, my older brother is a super saver and lives like a peasant but makes $500k+/yr so he has millions of dollars saved. I on the other hand like shiny stuff so I have a lot less saved, but that doesn't inherently mean my job/life is worse than his. Or better.

Job type: Academic vs community (% time with residents)
Job set up: Nights/rounding/admits
Average day:
Average census:
Average # admits:
Midlevel supervision?:
When are you usually done with your day:
# shifts/year:
$income/year:
Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want):
Anything else?:

Here's me:

Job type: Academic 100% with community nonteaching extra shifts
Job set up: Academic gig - rounding + admits, 30% nights. Community shifts - rounding only, no nights
Average day: Academic - 8am-5pm, but the residents do everything. Community shifts - 8am-5pm, can not round and go, but I'm done by 2pm usually
Average census: Academic - 14, Community - 14-16, the lists cap at 16 and we bring in an extra team
Average # admits: Academic - 2-3, Community - 0
Midlevel supervision?: No
When are you usually done with your day: 5pm
# shifts/year: Academic - 150 12 hour shifts. Community shifts are 10 hours and pay $2000/shift
$income/year: Academic - $355k/yr, this year I have 50 extra shifts scheduled so I'll make $455k working 200 days total.
Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want): Without extra shifts: $390k/yr, with my extra shifts I'll touch $500k in 2024.
Anything else?: My group is amazing, and we can work stretches of 5 or 10 as the standard scheduling. So I do 10 on, 5 off and then have a couple 4 week breaks each year.

@Splenda88 - get in here. Also, anything to add to the format?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I am commenting so I can get updates as people post.

Reactions: 1 user
Job type: Community hospital of ~280 beds

Job set up: Day rounding (3 days short call and 4 days in the admitting pool )

Average day: 3 days 7am-4pm (short calls), and 4 days 7am-6pm (long calls). People dont adhere to these rules. I go home 1-3pm on short calls

Average census: 16-17

Average # admits: No admits on short call days; ~2 admits on long calls

Midlevel supervision?: Once every 3 months.

When are you usually done with your day: Most days by 2 pm

#shifts/year: 182

$income/year: $1920/day, and $2365/day when you work above your 15 days/month. 350k/yr per contract.

Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want): Made 405k in 2022 and 401k in 2023; projected to make 425-435k in 2024. No 401k match, CME 1k/yr plus reimbursement for license renewal, DEA, MOC etc...

Anything else?: Location SE

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The last thread died in 2020, and there have been 1 or 2 changes since then. So let's get a new thread going. How I envision this - if you're HM post your gig in the format below (modify it however you want). We can talk about offers and jobs and help answer questions that students, residents or hospitalists may have. I expect this thread to highlight the great deal of pay disparity in HM and let people see what makes jobs desirable versus not. What I don't want - don't turn this into a weiner measuring contest of networth, $ in a bank account, # of btc or anything like that. It makes the thread get cluttered and isn't applicable to everyone. For example, my older brother is a super saver and lives like a peasant but makes $500k+/yr so he has millions of dollars saved. I on the other hand like shiny stuff so I have a lot less saved, but that doesn't inherently mean my job/life is worse than his. Or better.

Average day:
Average census:
Average # admits:
Midlevel supervision?:
# shifts/year:
$income/year:
Anything else?:

Here's me:

Job set up: Academic gig - rounding + admits, 30% nights. Community shifts - rounding only, no nights
Average day: Academic - 8am-5pm, but the residents do everything. Community shifts - 8am-5pm, can not round and go, but I'm done by 2pm usually
Average census: Academic - 14, Community - 14-16, the lists cap at 16 and we bring in an extra team
# shifts/year: Academic - 150 12 hour shifts. Community shifts are 10 hours and pay $2000/shift
$income/year: Academic - $355k/yr, this year I have 50 extra shifts scheduled so I'll make $455k working 200 days total.
Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want): Without extra shifts: $390k/yr, with my extra shifts I'll touch $500k in 2024.
Anything else?: My group is amazing, and we can work stretches of 5 or 10 as the standard scheduling. So I do 10 on, 5 off and then have a couple 4 week breaks each year.

The cannot leave early before 5PM despite being done with everything would be tough for me to accept. Being at the hospital and being done is really painful for me, especially when we have the ability to do everything (short of seeing patients) from outside the hospital with Haiku, and Epic from home.

Reactions: 3 users
Job type: 2xCommunity hospital of ~300

Job set up: full night/swing shifts only.

Average day: 12 hour call from home, need to go in for admissions, 1pm to 1am or 7pm to 7am.

Average census: ~4 admits per shift + small number of xcover calls (covering 2 hospitals that are close by, so may need to change location per admit)

Midlevel supervision?: none

When are you usually done with your day: n/a

#shifts/year:
6 on 8 off. around 13 shift per month

$income/year: 265k/yr base

Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want): 18k bonus, 4k casheable CME, 3k expense coverage. 50% 401k match up to 6% of salary

Anything else?: Location very good place in southern california

Last edited:
Job type: 2xCommunity hospital of ~300

Job set up: full night/swing shifts only.

Average day: 12 hour call from home, need to go in for admissions, 1pm to 1am or 7pm to 7am.

Average census: ~4 admits per shift + small number of xcover calls (covering 2 hospitals that are close by, so may need to change location per admit)

Midlevel supervision?: none

When are you usually done with your day: n/a

#shifts/year:
6 on 8 off. around 13 shift per month

Total income/year (include 401k matching, CME if you want): 18k bonus, 4k casheable CME, 3k expense coverage. 50% 401k match up to 6% of salary

So you might have to make four or five round trips to the hospital during a 12 hr shift? I guess if you live 5-10 minutes away it would be ok?

18k bonus, 4k casheable CME, 3k expense coverage. 50% 401k match up to 6% of salary

Is this typical for hospitalist salaries in Southern California? I would love to live there but I'm unsure if I can afford real estate if salaries are in the 200s.

Is this typical for hospitalist salaries in Southern California? I would love to live there but I'm unsure if I can afford real estate if salaries are in the 200s.

Yes jobs are usually bad and competition is high. Even two Hospitalist working together is tough to buy a house.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Yes jobs are usually bad and competition is high. Even two Hospitalist working together is tough to buy a house.

Not true. Maybe if you want to buy a beach front house in Newport Beach but there are many other places you can live on a hospitalist salary

Reactions: 1 users

i work bit less than the normal number of shifts , the day shifters working 7 on 7 off prob makes similar to me

Ya the competition to live in socal is absolutely ridiculous so salary is less than a cheaper place while cost of living is much higher. If u want to enjoy life its a good place, if u want to make money, stay away

Not true. Maybe if you want to buy a beach front house in Newport Beach but there are many other places you can live on a hospitalist salary

Where do you live?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Average day:
Average census:
Average # admits:
Midlevel supervision?:
# shifts/year:
$income/year:
Anything else?:

Here's me:

So rereading this, I notice you said you have a couple of 4 week breaks in the year? Are we saying you take a month off every now and then?

So rereading this, I notice you said you have a couple of 4 week breaks in the year? Are we saying you take a month off every now and then?

That I do - for example this year I was set to be off from April 15 thru May 27. However I filled this glorious amount of time off with a bunch of extra shifts. We had a couple docs leave on the non-teaching side and it was a great opportunity to get some stuff paid off.

Next fall I'm going to take all of December off.

The caveat here is I'm a workhorse, not even a little burnt out, and love being in the hospital and seeing patients. The average hospitalist can't stomach working 23 days in a month (hello March) to be able to then have 5 consecutive weeks off.

That I do - for example this year I was set to be off from April 15 thru May 27. However I filled this glorious amount of time off with a bunch of extra shifts. We had a couple docs leave on the non-teaching side and it was a great opportunity to get some stuff paid off.

The caveat here is I'm a workhorse, not even a little burnt out, and love being in the hospital and seeing patients. The average hospitalist can't stomach working 23 days in a month (hello March) to be able to then have 5 consecutive weeks off.
This is why i think hospital medicine might be for me. I really enjoy being in the hospital. I am also a workhorse (hence why I was gunning for a surgical sub so working alot to make more wouldnt be an issue for me). Dang it man you guys might have converted me from surgery.

How often are you able to take December off? Yearly? Every other year?

Normally I don't take any holidays off because I love working them, so this will be my first year getting December off specifically. Last year I took all of February off and went somewhere warm. This year was that April-May stretch, and then December. 2025 I'm looking at February again. Unless we still are short staffed at which point I can never convince myself to not pick up extra shifts.

Normally I don't take any holidays off because I love working them, so this will be my first year getting December off specifically. Last year I took all of February off and went somewhere warm. This year was that April-May stretch, and then December. 2025 I'm looking at February again. Unless we still are short staffed at which point I can never convince myself to not pick up extra shifts.
Our extra shift pay rate is $2365/day so there are a couple of hospitalists that are telling the PD to not hire more docs so they can always pick up extra shifts

Reactions: 4 users
Our extra shift pay rate is $2365/day so there are a couple of hospitalists that are telling the PD to not hire more docs so they can always pick up extra shifts
1708567551366.png

I am hoping that thing last for another 3 yrs so I can get closer to my financial goal.

What is going to happen if it doesnt? What is your plan if everything starts to crumble?

What is going to happen if it doesnt? What is your plan if everything starts to crumble?
I will probably be f***cked since I have not thought of a plan yet.

To be honest, the attraction to my gig is mostly about the flexibility that we have, though the money is not bad either.

Last edited:
Yes, but I'm sure there is a drastic difference between LA/NYC compared to Tallahassee, Orlando, Tampa.
Tallahassee and surrounding area pays around $315k+ for round and go. Pt census about 20-23. Closed ICU.

Reactions: 4 users

Average day:
Average census:
Average # admits:
Midlevel supervision?:
# shifts/year:
$income/year:
Anything else?:

Here's me:

Sounds like a sweet gig honestly, where is this???