Bananaface- Closing of the HICP accreditation status thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bananaface- I am disappointed that you decided to close the "HICP Accreditation Status" thread because a few members started to "flame" each other. Although your intention may be good, I feel your decision does not serve any purpose. You cannot prevent members from flaming each other but more importantly, it is really counterproductive. That thread contains many useful insights and members of this forum would have greatly benefited from it. If you feel strongly about it, then I would suggest that you ban them from this site rather than restricting every members of this forum. This will only encourage some members to purposedly "flame" others in order to have other threads close as well.

I believe the purpose of this forum is to exchange information, to debate freely and by closing the thread, you have closed the channel of communication. We are mature professionals and we should be treated as such. Please re-open the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I tend to agree that the thread should remain open. Sure, there very well may be some responses that are not exactly dictated by logic and reason, but there are many more that are very informative. The very nature of the subject being discussed is going to result in some flames because people feel very strongly about it. If anything, I would say that is a good indication that the thread contains material that is worth being discussed. In addition, I really don't see the point it starting multiple threads just to carry on the same discussion, especially since everyone is going to just move to a different thread to carry on an existing discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
BMBiology said:
I believe the purpose of this forum is to exchange information, to debate freely and by closing the thread, you have closed the channel of communication. We are mature professionals and we should be treated as such. Please re-open the thread.

I believe this thread and others like it should be closed. Clearly, we are not ALL mature professionals nor do we act like it. Some people feel the need to belittle others and poke fun at others' misfortune. Posts and threads like these should not be tolerated and I for one am glad that the thread was closed, as I hope this is the beginning of the end of the HICP bashing.
John

I agree and should remain open in the best interest of the majority of the members to share their opinions and concerns and to debate on certain issues, such as HICP since their graduates will be our future colleagues.

The HICP Accrediatation Status thread was closed because it had degenerated. But, that does not mean the end of the discussion. As stated in the closing post, members are free to continue the discussion in a new thread if they choose. There is no reason why the OP could not contain a link to the closed thread, so that those wishing to read it can do so. Or, the topic could be taken up in the thread below, as it's focus is quite similar to that of the closed thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180533

I am not out there to restrict anyone's ability to discuss this or any other topic. At the same time, I have a responsibility to foster an environment that is comfortable for our users. The thread had generated complaints about the behavior of several people by several different parties. When impartial users started asking for thread closure, I felt that it was the proper time to act. I am sure that Lee will support this decision.

bananaface said:
The HICP Accrediatation Status thread was closed because it had degenerated. But, that does not mean the end of the discussion. As stated in the closing post, members are free to continue the discussion in a new thread if they choose. There is no reason why the OP could not contain a link to the closed thread, so that those wishing to read it can do so. Or, the topic could be taken up in the thread below, as it's focus is quite similar to that of the closed thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180533

I am not out there to restrict anyone's ability to discuss this or any other topic. At the same time, I have a responsibility to foster an environment that is comfortable for our users. The thread had generated complaints about the behavior of several people by several different parties. When impartial users started asking for thread closure, I felt that it was the proper time to act. I am sure that Lee will support this decision.
How exactly did it degenerate? Because people disagree? Here is a quote from Lee about people that complain about the HICP threads....

Lee A Burnett said:
I've received 2 complaints from guests wanting to close and delete this thread. But it seems like people (at least in recent posts) are being civil and respectful of each other. Further, it appears that people are making statements that are backed by information publicly available on the Internet.

I don't find a gross violation of forum rules, so it will be left open.

Folks, don't ask me to close threads because you don't like people talking about your school. That's not appropriate

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1912642&postcount=470

Lee's comment was specific to the other thread. I closed the thread after complaints from non-involved parties, which is an entirely different realm. I'm not sure what the big deal is, as a new thread can be opened quite easily.

When personal attacks/flaming is coming from both sides after repeated skirmishes, I consider a thread to have degenerated. If anyone has further questions on that point, please PM me.

The point is that the thread itself has lots of good information. If flaming is such a major concern that seems to be a personal problem and should be treated as such by suspension or banning of the individuals involved. If all the interesting threads are going to be closed because of heated debate, then there is not much point of posting.

Tuck said:
The point is that the thread itself has lots of good information. If flaming is such a major concern that seems to be a personal problem and should be treated as such by suspension or banning of the individuals involved. If all the interesting threads are going to be closed because of heated debate, then there is not much point of posting.
My thoughts exactly

bananaface said:
The thread had generated complaints about the behavior of several people by several different parties. When impartial users started asking for thread closure, I felt that it was the proper time to act. I am sure that Lee will support this decision.

What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right. This is what leadership is about.

BMBiology said:
What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right. This is what leadership is about.

Ive gotta chime in. BananaFace is totally power hungry when it comes to being a moderator. She uses any hint of an argument to "flex" her authority and show what little power she has been granted. Its pretty amusing seeing how controlling she is while being a "moderator" ...too bad half of her post just arent needed. my 2 cents

J Lucas said:
Ive gotta chime in. BananaFace is totally power hungry when it comes to being a moderator. She uses any hint of an argument to "flex" her authority and show what little power she has been granted. Its pretty amusing seeing how controlling she is while being a "moderator" ...too bad half of her post just arent needed. my 2 cents

It's either her or Brill. I prefer the banana...I like the fact the threads in the two pharmacy forums are organized rather than people posting the same thing twice all the time. (No offense Brill) I may disagree with her reasoning, but that doesn't make her power hungry