Banfield ok for a new grad wanting mentorship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annamalita

DVM 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard and read so many negatives about working for Banfield. I want to get a conversation started in hopes that someone will be able to speak about good aspects of it, in particular, regarding their mentoring program.

I am a new graduate and I am really nervous about practicing without a strong mentorship environment. I really like the structured mentor program Banfield offers. I feel as though many private practices may say they will mentor you but then they don't have the time or the resources to spend paying you a full doctor's salary and then you not pulling your weight by doing a "full doctor's worth". I just feel so pessimistic that I will not be able to find a private practice that will want to hire a new grad who wants involved mentorship.

I heard from a Banfield representative that the first year there they want you to focus on learning, not on production and they don't expect you to make production the first year even. I just really like how Banfield looks on paper (great salary, 401K, great vacation etc) but I have only heard overwhelmingly bad things about them which makes me wonder even more why their reviews are so bad. I have heard/read about a handful of people who enjoy working for them, one of which is also a recent grad who appreciated the mentorship they provided.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

but I have only heard overwhelmingly bad things about them which makes me wonder even more why their reviews are so bad.
That's all dependant on what you want and what you're willing to "pay" to get it. If you want their mentoring program, you might have to put up with corporate oversight and some other issues to get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on comments I’ve read from other banfield veterinarians, they’re great as a first job due to their mentorship program and good benefits. Long term I wouldn’t recommend them but it depends on what you want in a job long term. Banfield also varies by clinic. Some are great with great practice managers and employees and others aren’t so great and have high turnover and poor management. If you’re considering a banfield at a specific location you might want to see how that individual hospital is compared to other banfields nearby.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t speak to Banfield, but if you’re thinking corporate, there are many VCA hospitals that are great for new grads. They also have a mentorship program (at least in New England they do, and I think they’re expanding it if they haven’t already) that I heard good things about from those who participated.

I didn’t go through the program, and I no longer work for VCA, but I worked for 2 multi-doctor VCA hospitals (first one was strictly gp, the second was a gp/specialty hybrid hospital) where each hospital had 3-6 awesome experienced other doctors and I felt very well mentored. No one was responsible for mentoring me, and I was pretty self sufficient, but I learned so much from the other clinicians and everyone was always there when I wanted a second opinion/help and as a general rule we all looked over each other’s radiographs together before they were sent out for consult. Some hospitals just suck, but I know a lot of classmates who have stuck around in the VCA system who are happy enough to stay.

Compensation is lower for VCA as a rule than Banfield despite both being owned by the same parent company. But I’ve visited a number of Banfields in the area, and I personally wouldn’t work there for a number of reasons. But there are certainly a few classmates of mine who have been working there who seem content enough... though the number of those who ran are way higher. I think a big part of it really depends on the culture of the individual hospital, and how that hospital handles corporate pressures (and how good/awful your regional management is... though the same can be said for VCA). I just won’t work anywhere that requires drop off appts, half day surgeries (not sure this is universal, but has been the case with the ones I’ve looked at), or does dentistry without full mouth radiographs (apparently they are trying to change this). So even though they are offering even a 1 year out newbie 50% higher salary than the pretty fair one I was getting at VCA plus 2 weeks additional vacation, those were big enough deal breakers for me that the extra money wasn't worth it.

I'm a relief vet who has worked so many places... private practice, banfield, vca, nva, other corporates, etc.

PM me if you want details on any of them. Keep in mind these places all vary by region and even clinic to clinic so my experience in this location could be vastly different from other locations.

Some classmates got great mentorship at a Banfield and others kinda got thrown to the wolves. I’d say it’s 100% depending on location and existing staff/management.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate hearing your input. It all sounds very reasonable. I think I will check out the specific places I am interested in and go from there.

As for DVMDream (btw I like the DVM Nightmare underneath haha, at what point in your career did you add that part on?) I am in the Chicago area. Since they vary so much clinic to clinic I won't ask you to take time explaining (unless you happen to be from this area as well) but thank you for the offer :)
I'm a relief vet who has worked so many places... private practice, banfield, vca, nva, other corporates, etc.

PM me if you want details on any of them. Keep in mind these places all vary by region and even clinic to clinic so my experience in this location could be vastly different from other locations.

As for DVMDream (btw I like the DVM Nightmare underneath haha, at what point in your career did you add that part on?) I am in the Chicago area. Since they vary so much clinic to clinic I won't ask you to take time explaining (unless you happen to be from this area as well) but thank you for the offer :)

That was added in within the past few months when someone decided to call me "DVMNightmare" so I ran with it... :laugh:

• Haha
I'm currently on my third stint working for Banfield. Yes, I left TWICE... and both times realized that the grass wasn't greener in the other side and came back!

Like any job, it has its pros and cons, a lot of which depends on the individual hospital. I only work PT, so I don't mentor new grads, but I work with a doctor that does a lot of mentoring and new grads all seem to enjoy training at our hospital.

There are actually a couple of openings at hospitals in my area right now, but those positions would first involve a 12-week training (probably at my hospital) before going to those locations. Let me know if you want more info!

While I think mentoring is important and definitely something you should ask about at any new job, remember that there are other quality of life factors that are still very important. For example- Banfields are open on Sundays. That’s a deal breaker for me personally. What are the expected hours? How long are people typically staying past their scheduled shift, and how often? One common complaint I hear about Banfield is the lack of autonomy- maybe kind of a nice thing for a new grad to have a by-the-book approach but I found that as I became more comfortable in practice, I had my own preferences or differences from others and I would resent it if I had to follow a flow chart for every thing.

Just a few things to consider.

While I think mentoring is important and definitely something you should ask about at any new job, remember that there are other quality of life factors that are still very important. For example- Banfields are open on Sundays. That’s a deal breaker for me personally. What are the expected hours? How long are people typically staying past their scheduled shift, and how often? One common complaint I hear about Banfield is the lack of autonomy- maybe kind of a nice thing for a new grad to have a by-the-book approach but I found that as I became more comfortable in practice, I had my own preferences or differences from others and I would resent it if I had to follow a flow chart for every thing.

Just a few things to consider.

I don't understand where this flow chart you must follow comes from. I've done lots of relief for banfield and have never seen this mythical flow chart.

I don't understand where this flow chart you must follow comes from. I've done lots of relief for banfield and have never seen this mythical flow chart.

The doctors and technicians I know from Banfield have said there is a specific protocol for certain things, but I didn’t mean a literal flow chart.

And to be fair, most non-Banfield clinics have some kind of standard approach to things. But my classmates at Banfield have said, at least at their various locations, diverging from their plan isn’t looked on favorably.

The doctors and technicians I know from Banfield have said there is a specific protocol for certain things, but I didn’t mean a literal flow chart.

And to be fair, most non-Banfield clinics have some kind of standard approach to things. But my classmates at Banfield have said, at least at their various locations, diverging from their plan isn’t looked on favorably.

I mean, I know a vet that got fired for not following euth protocol but the way he went about the euth was horrid. Plus there were 2342341234 other issues with said vet.

I don't do surgery with them, but they do have some guidelines that are to be followed from what I hear. But you have some ability to do what you want within those guidelines, they don't force you to a specific set direction. I think there is a requirement that all brachycephalics be intubated so you can't really "sedate" a brachy.... I dunno, maybe since I don't really do surgery I don't see as much of these protocols. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Banfield used to have specific protocols for specific conditions, "back in the day." When I first started working at a Banfield in 2009, they were phasing those out. The only thing that really has set protocols nowadays is anesthesia (which I think is a good thing!).

Banfield used to have specific protocols for specific conditions, "back in the day." When I first started working at a Banfield in 2009, they were phasing those out. The only thing that really has set protocols nowadays is anesthesia (which I think is a good thing!).

For anesthetic protocols do you mean like monitoring and such, or the drugs you have to use or? Just curious as I think that’s the one area I would really want to be able to make my own call on specifics.

They do have recommended drug protocols, but there is flexibility within the protocols and the anesthesia book specifically says "Protocols are never meant to be followed blindly and the anesthesia team remains responsible for making decisions in the best interest of the patient." I mostly use the protocols in the book, because they're reasonable, but I don't HAVE TO, as long as I can justify what I'm doing. (For example, dexdomitor in brachycephalics is a big no-no.)

Here's the guide to Banfield's recommended anesthesia protocols:

(Admittedly, I haven't read the whole guide. LOL.)

Here's a link to all of the anesthesia stuff - Commitment to Quality Anesthesia

Last edited:
I dunno about a flow chart, but whatever software they were using when I went in for a working interview at one in 2014-2015 had a thing where when you put in a symptom it kinda popped up diagnostics you “should” be performing, and I can’t remember if treatments as well. But essentially the doctors there just clicked through it and ignored it, shrugged, and said don’t worry about that.

Woofware for VCA doesn’t necessarily do that, but they have this really annoying charge capture software called Astro that gets pissed off at you if you put in a charge but is missing an associated charge. And to bypass it, you have to override it and say who is responsible and why. For example if you have an ear cytology charge $50, it gets pissed off at you if you didn’t charge a $40 ear cleaning. It’s like **** you! I’m charging $80 for an exam, another $50 for ear cytology, and with ear flush/meds ($25/$35), and maybe apoquel/simplicef ($75-100/$80-120) for a simple otitis/pyoderma case... that ear cleaning I do is a part of the demo I do to show owners how to treat the pet at home. If we have bad ears/skin, that can easily reach $500. Which we don’t charge for if it were any other type of home therapy! Overall I really liked their computer software, and also their business finances software that you could track your performance/production with a detailed breakdown of many metrics. But that one feature man. It was really annoying. Every time, it was like, “yup say per Dr. reason being **** you! Someone can yell at me later if they want”

Exception is if it actually takes effort to really clean the ears for long acting ear meds, I charged for that. But routine showing owners how to flush out ears properly cause no one does it right otherwise and charging for that I thought was ridiculous.

I dunno about a flow chart, but whatever software they were using when I went in for a working interview at one in 2014-2015 had a thing where when you put in a symptom it kinda popped up diagnostics you “should” be performing, and I can’t remember if treatments as well. But essentially the doctors there just clicked through it and ignored it, shrugged, and said don’t worry about that.

Woofware for VCA doesn’t necessarily do that, but they have this really annoying charge capture software called Astro that gets pissed off at you if you put in a charge but is missing an associated charge. And to bypass it, you have to override it and say who is responsible and why. For example if you have an ear cytology charge $50, it gets pissed off at you if you didn’t charge a $40 ear cleaning. It’s like **** you! I’m charging $80 for an exam, another $50 for ear cytology, and with ear flush/meds ($25/$35), and maybe apoquel/simplicef ($75-100/$80-120) for a simple otitis/pyoderma case... that ear cleaning I do is a part of the demo I do to show owners how to treat the pet at home. If we have bad ears/skin, that can easily reach $500. Which we don’t charge for if it were any other type of home therapy! Overall I really liked their computer software, and also their business finances software that you could track your performance/production with a detailed breakdown of many metrics. But that one feature man. It was really annoying. Every time, it was like, “yup say per Dr. reason being **** you! Someone can yell at me later if they want”

Exception is if it actually takes effort to really clean the ears for long acting ear meds, I charged for that. But routine showing owners how to flush out ears properly cause no one does it right otherwise and charging for that I thought was ridiculous.

Haven't noticed these features in either system. :shrug:

But yeah I do an ear cleaning demonstration too without charge. :shrug: I mean I don't charge to show/explain how to use other meds so why would I for that one?

Last edited:
Haven't noticed these features in either system. :shrug:

But yeah I do an ear cleaning demonstration too without charge. :shrug: I mean I don't charge to show/explain how to use other meds so why would I for that one?
If you’re relief, the techs probably don’t bother you about it. Or they’re so used to overriding it they just do it automatically. Depends on how annoying your hospital and regional management is about going through these Astro reports and how often the staff gets yelled at about it. If you’re not the person verifying charges or checking clients out, you wouldn’t know about it unless the staff was twitchy about it.

Just for clarification if anyone else reads this thread later.

I have worked for Banfield for the past 3 years as a veterinary technician. Before I got hired on here I was working at an AHAA accredited private practice. My former coworkers were warning me not to join Banfield, but I did anyways because it was a great offer. The computer stuff is nothing to worry about, there is nothing that saying hey you need this charge if you're going to do that. There is nothing telling you this is what you have to diagnose and these are the medications you have to use. That protocol same with anesthetic drugs is all entirely up to the doctor. VCA is owned by MARS as well so they probably have a similar system. Regardless of what anyone says each hospital is what it's team makes of it. I can say I currently work with a team that I trust way more than other practices I've worked at. I also work with doctors that helped me recommit to my dream of becoming a veterinarian. Like everything in life it is what you make of it.

Just for clarification if anyone else reads this thread later.

I have worked for Banfield for the past 3 years as a veterinary technician. Before I got hired on here I was working at an AHAA accredited private practice. My former coworkers were warning me not to join Banfield, but I did anyways because it was a great offer. The computer stuff is nothing to worry about, there is nothing that saying hey you need this charge if you're going to do that. There is nothing telling you this is what you have to diagnose and these are the medications you have to use. That protocol same with anesthetic drugs is all entirely up to the doctor. VCA is owned by MARS as well so they probably have a similar system. Regardless of what anyone says each hospital is what it's team makes of it. I can say I currently work with a team that I trust way more than other practices I've worked at. I also work with doctors that helped me recommit to my dream of becoming a veterinarian. Like everything in life it is what you make of it.
With all due respect, there may be issues that you as a technician are not privy to or not impacted by in the same way as a veterinarian working for the same company. I agree that team members can make or break any job and I’m glad you are happy where you are :)

Hello all!

Reading through this thread is very helpful! I'm a Class of 2020 student graduating this May who has interviewed with both VCA and Banfield.
I have spoken with different friends who work at both, keeping in mind each location is different. After weighing the pros and cons, I'm highly interested in going the corporate route as a newbie wanting mentorship and stability. I have a strong interest exotics and would like a good portion of my case load to include them, in addition to dogs and cats.

The VCA clinic I'm looking at has an established exotics client base, so I'm confident I'd get the opportunity to see them there. In my Banfield interview, they indicated that I should see "a good number" of exotics cases should I work in a location connected to a Petsmart. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, do the Petsmart Banfield locations see a large number of exotics?

Hello all!

Reading through this thread is very helpful! I'm a Class of 2020 student graduating this May who has interviewed with both VCA and Banfield.
I have spoken with different friends who work at both, keeping in mind each location is different. After weighing the pros and cons, I'm highly interested in going the corporate route as a newbie wanting mentorship and stability. I have a strong interest exotics and would like a good portion of my case load to include them, in addition to dogs and cats.

The VCA clinic I'm looking at has an established exotics client base, so I'm confident I'd get the opportunity to see them there. In my Banfield interview, they indicated that I should see "a good number" of exotics cases should I work in a location connected to a Petsmart. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, do the Petsmart Banfield locations see a large number of exotics?
I know they're typically the ones who see cases from the pets for sale in the PetSmart, so some exotics there at least

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

Anyone have any idea what the contract structure for Banfield looks like, same for VCA? I know that salary varies by area, but is it negotiable if I am otherwise leaning toward them? Are all benefits set in stone?

I know they're typically the ones who see cases from the pets for sale in the PetSmart, so some exotics there at least

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

My local Petsmarts send me their exotics because their Banfield vets aren’t comfortable with them. I think it’s very location dependent.

@fredandcessna Especially as a brand-new grad, it will be tough seeing exotics if others in the practice do not, not just for case help but having appropriate tools in place, techs comfortable/knowledgeable in handling, etc. Not to say it can’t be done but having an established client base and at least one other doctor who might help out would be really important.

My local Petsmarts send me their exotics because their Banfield vets aren’t comfortable with them. I think it’s very location dependent.

@fredandcessna Especially as a brand-new grad, it will be tough seeing exotics if others in the practice do not, not just for case help but having appropriate tools in place, techs comfortable/knowledgeable in handling, etc. Not to say it can’t be done but having an established client base and at least one other doctor who might help out would be really important.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! This is very useful information to take into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys!
I will be working for Banfield in June and I'm so excited! If you're interested in working for them or have any questions, I'd be happy to share my experience through the application/interview process! I also can get you connected with some great Banfield references.

Hey guys!
I will be working for Banfield in June and I'm so excited! If you're interested in working for them or have any questions, I'd be happy to share my experience through the application/interview process! I also can get you connected with some great Banfield references.

Congrats on the position!
I’ll also be starting at Banfield (in July) and am happy to share my experiences with the whole process :)