New grad mentorship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mother-of-cats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m currently a 3rd year student looking into ER mentorship programs for after graduation. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with mentorship programs at places like BluePearl, VEG, Thrive, NVA, VCA, or any similar companies. I was hoping to hear about your experiences so that I can determine which externships to apply for.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I’m currently a 3rd year student looking into ER mentorship programs for after graduation. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with mentorship programs at places like BluePearl, VEG, Thrive, NVA, VCA, or any similar companies. I was hoping to hear about your experiences so that I can determine which externships to apply for.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I am currently in the NERD program at VEG (about 1 month in). I will say the mentorship has been absolutely incredible. You slowly transition from seeing cases with a senior doctor by your side to seeing cases completely by yourself with the senior doctor there if you need them. You spend about 20ish days at CSU's TMI for surgery, ultrasound, endoscopy, critical care, and exotics training. We are also currently at IVECCS through the NERD program. Your last 2 months of the program are spend in a setting called paired practice. Where you and another NERD are running the floor together instead of you and a senior doctor. VEG emphasizes education first and foremost. We spend just about every Wednesday going through different ER topics, exotics cases and diving into new literature. There doctors love to teach and want you to stand on your own to feet.

I am only 1 month in so if you want to reach out come Nov/Dec, please do!

Reactions: 1 users
Following, but also adding my input as I'm currently a 4th year potentially pursuing an ER mentorship with one of those companies :)

I have heard from some senior clinicians to just be wary of the mentorship offered and make sure it is true mentorship and not just a gimmick to throw you on the floor quicker. I highly encourage you to schedule externships with as many of these as you can, so you can experience how the hospitals run and talk to the doctors working there. Even better if you can talk to a current or former mentor! I was able to for a few of the companies you mentioned, and it greatly helped me have a true idea of how the program runs in actuality vs on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am currently in the NERD program at VEG (about 1 month in). I will say the mentorship has been absolutely incredible. You slowly transition from seeing cases with a senior doctor by your side to seeing cases completely by yourself with the senior doctor there if you need them. You spend about 20ish days at CSU's TMI for surgery, ultrasound, endoscopy, critical care, and exotics training. We are also currently at IVECCS through the NERD program. Your last 2 months of the program are spend in a setting called paired practice. Where you and another NERD are running the floor together instead of you and a senior doctor. VEG emphasizes education first and foremost. We spend just about every Wednesday going through different ER topics, exotics cases and diving into new literature. There doctors love to teach and want you to stand on your own to feet.

I am only 1 month in so if you want to reach out come Nov/Dec, please do!
Thank you for sharing your experience! From what I’ve heard from others, they’ve also had great mentorship and transition from being a new grad to an ER vet with the VEG program. It is definitely at the top of my list!

Would you mind sharing what the application process is like? Do they look heavily at GPA (I currently have a 3.0) so I’m just nervous that my GPA wouldn’t be up to par with other applicants.

Following, but also adding my input as I'm currently a 4th year potentially pursuing an ER mentorship with one of those companies :)

I have heard from some senior clinicians to just be wary of the mentorship offered and make sure it is true mentorship and not just a gimmick to throw you on the floor quicker. I highly encourage you to schedule externships with as many of these as you can, so you can experience how the hospitals run and talk to the doctors working there. Even better if you can talk to a current or former mentor! I was able to for a few of the companies you mentioned, and it greatly helped me have a true idea of how the program runs in actuality vs on paper.
Ah yes! I’ve talked to some previous mentees at VCA hospitals and it seems like it really varies from location to location on how the mentorship is.
I have an externship scheduled with both VCA and NVA this winter break!

Thank you for sharing your experience! From what I’ve heard from others, they’ve also had great mentorship and transition from being a new grad to an ER vet with the VEG program. It is definitely at the top of my list!

Would you mind sharing what the application process is like? Do they look heavily at GPA (I currently have a 3.0) so I’m just nervous that my GPA wouldn’t be up to par with other applicants.

It is mostly based on experience, how you vibe with the company, do your values match the company and you references. They are changing up the application process this year so I am not sure exactly how they are doing it unfortunately. I will ask one of my friends that is currently applying in a few months once the process is done and find out for you

The VCA mentorship program is 100% dependent on the hospital/mentors. I joined VCA as a new grad as primarily GP (though our hospital is a hybrid and has a 24/7 ER). Another 2021 grad joined as 100% ER with overnights as the eventual goal. I am more confident with my ER capabilities than he is despite doing mainly the GP mentorship, and am leaving this hospital to go to 100% ER. He was switched to solo overnights too soon and didn't get enough case exposure.

So if you are looking at VCA, ask how that hospital does ER mentorship and be clear on any help you need.