Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Banks in Philadelphia (UPenn)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Clarissa, May 20, 2002.

1. Clarissa

Clarissa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey there guys - I was just wondering if any current Penn students (undergrad or med) would recommend any particular bank over another to join in the area (based on ATMs located on campus, general reputation among the students, location of branches throughout the city and the region)? I checked the Penn site, and it mentions Mellon Bank, First Union, and United - I'm just curious to see if any one is preferred over the others among people who live in the area or go to Penn. Thanks a lot! :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

there are multiple PNC cash machines in the hospital/med school complex. PNC's closest branch is about 5 blocks away on market street.

i don't go to penn, but i worked there for a year. i hope this helps.

4. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

PNC offers better plans for students than Citizens Bank, which was formerly Mellon Bank. PNC ATMs are also found throughout PA and NJ. Citizen is a little less common. If you frequent NY more, you can go with First Union.

Also, PNC allows you to use your Penn Card as your ATM card.

5. Benji

Benji New Member

I think that almost every ATM on Penn's campus is PNC. I had a PNC account for a while, but then I switched to Commerce Bank because PNC had too many surcharges and restrictions on account sizes and such. Commerce is located right on Market. There is a PNC next to the McDonalds at CHOP

6. Benji

Benji New Member

I think that almost every ATM on Penn's campus is PNC. I had a PNC account for a while, but then I switched to Commerce Bank because PNC had too many surcharges and restrictions on account sizes and such. Commerce is located right on Market. There is a PNC next to the McDonalds at CHOP

7. Toots

Toots Dr. Librarian
    7+ Year Member

Commerce is great! They have no minimums on accounts for students, they have branches all over the place, and most branches are open till 7 or 8 pm.

8. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

I definitly recommend the use of PNC bank, as it is on campus, has no charges for student accounts, and to top it off, has an atm machine in every WaWa in philadelphia. If you don't know what a WaWa is, it is a convenience store which is all over philadelphia and PA.

9. Clarissa

Clarissa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you all again so much for your advice - it was truly helpful!

:p