Banks in Philadelphia (UPenn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarissa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys - I was just wondering if any current Penn students (undergrad or med) would recommend any particular bank over another to join in the area (based on ATMs located on campus, general reputation among the students, location of branches throughout the city and the region)? I checked the Penn site, and it mentions Mellon Bank, First Union, and United - I'm just curious to see if any one is preferred over the others among people who live in the area or go to Penn. Thanks a lot! :D

Members don't see this ad.

there are multiple PNC cash machines in the hospital/med school complex. PNC's closest branch is about 5 blocks away on market street.

i don't go to penn, but i worked there for a year. i hope this helps.

PNC offers better plans for students than Citizens Bank, which was formerly Mellon Bank. PNC ATMs are also found throughout PA and NJ. Citizen is a little less common. If you frequent NY more, you can go with First Union.

Also, PNC allows you to use your Penn Card as your ATM card.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that almost every ATM on Penn's campus is PNC. I had a PNC account for a while, but then I switched to Commerce Bank because PNC had too many surcharges and restrictions on account sizes and such. Commerce is located right on Market. There is a PNC next to the McDonalds at CHOP

I think that almost every ATM on Penn's campus is PNC. I had a PNC account for a while, but then I switched to Commerce Bank because PNC had too many surcharges and restrictions on account sizes and such. Commerce is located right on Market. There is a PNC next to the McDonalds at CHOP

Commerce is great! They have no minimums on accounts for students, they have branches all over the place, and most branches are open till 7 or 8 pm.

I definitly recommend the use of PNC bank, as it is on campus, has no charges for student accounts, and to top it off, has an atm machine in every WaWa in philadelphia. If you don't know what a WaWa is, it is a convenience store which is all over philadelphia and PA.

Thank you all again so much for your advice - it was truly helpful!

:p