Bare minimum in a EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byathread

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grades are average, step 1 is below average, step 2 is slightly above average.

Doing an internship over the next year at a small program that has a EM residency. There's an excellent chance that I could get a position without too much begging and sexual favors. The hospital does not do trauma, all trauma rotations are away at adjacent Universities.

I'm trying to decide if I should take this position, make the absolute best of it and the away rotations and just get my ass out in the work force or I should go through the pain, torture, expense, gut-wrenching disappointment of the match(es) next year.

What bare minimum stuff in your minds should a EM program have to at least provide a adequate/sufficient education...

One item that seems obvious is high

Serious comments welcome. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Accredation from the RRC is a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Serious comments welcome. Thank you.

Well, that ought to bring this thread to a quick close.

Serious comments, indeed.

Hrumph.

Take care,
Jeff

brick in the wall, baby, you're just another brick in the wall.

Accredation from the RRC is a good start.

OK, just to show that I'm not a complete horses ass (remember, I stipulated "complete"), I'll try to add something of substance.

RRC really does provide a very solid base from which to begin. If the program is RRC accredited, you can safely assume you'll get good training. After that, be sure you'll be happy there.

Take care,
Jeff

OK, just to show that I'm not a complete horses ass (remember, I stipulated "complete"), I'll try to add something of substance.

RRC really does provide a very solid base from which to begin. If the program is RRC accredited, you can safely assume you'll get good training. After that, be sure you'll be happy there.

Take care,
Jeff

Ahh, substance.

I have a slightly tangiential question on this topic. I hear alot of buzz about the RRC having an iron-grip on EM education and the result that there are not really "bad" programs.

I'm not asking for a list or any names, but for some of the more senior folks on here: are there RRC accredited programs that really make you nervous?

I have a feeling this guy is talking about a DO program. If I were you I would try for a program that challenges you. Why go easy route for residency?

Don't worry about not working at a trauma center. 90% of ER docs do trauma rarely, and frankly, most trauma is simple quick resuscitation with the occasional failed thoracotomy. (seen probably fifty myself, the only one I've ever seen get a pulse was one that I'd done, and he only lived a few hours in the OR.)
If you can intubate, put in chest tubes and central lines and know your ATLS you can do trauma.

All EM residencies will get you enough training. Some are better at some things that others. My residency was great for medical and trauma but not as good for peds and we didn't have much breadth. The place I work now has a lot of good medical and peds but not much trauma. Both of them have OB so I rarely ever see 2nd/3rd trimester pregnancies.

Go where you like and where you'll be accepted. You'll get the training you need.