You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum
Started by GonnaBeADoc2222
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Its after midnight.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Daily reminder to take off work to play Starfield next week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im off already! Parents are in town though! Doh!Daily reminder to take off work to play Starfield next week.
Your parents know where you live? You've already failed.Im off already! Parents are in town though! Doh!
Its after midnight on the west coast. I'm on the west coast, but lets not forget those pacific weirdos. Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.Its after midnight.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Daily reminder to take off work to play Starfield next week.
Excited to see how it runs on the Steam Deck.
Prob like poop but one can hope.
Word of advice.If I saw 3 pph at our big site, I'd make somewhere between 600-650/hr, but it's impossible due to acuity, inefficiency, etc
1. Keep this site quiet, b/c if you are getting paid 650/hr @ 3ppd or $215/pp, you must be collecting min $250/pp. Someone will come after this site.
2. Stop hiring docs, suck it up, 3pph and puts you at 1M/yr doing 32hrs/wk. Do this for 10 yrs, FIRE, and do whatever you want
3. Hire some APCs if you want and if they can see 2pph will pull in $500/hr for the group pushing your pay to $800/hr.
Point is to suck this place dry b/c it won't last. From my experience $250/pp can only be achieved if you have almost zero medicare/medicaid/uninsured.
Younger me takes Job #1. Older me would not take either job, find me a $175/hr and daily volume of 3 pts would be a good job.More math.
Average 1,500 hours/year.
Job 1: 2 pph at $300/hour = $450K/year for 3,000 patients at $150/patient
Job 2: 1.5 pph at $225/hour = $337.5K for 2,250 patients at $150/patient
Difference of $112.5K/year ($450K - $337.5K) for 750 more patients.
Extra income marginally taxed at 24-32%, but perhaps an effective tax rate of closer to 24% married filed jointly.
$112.5K x 76% = $85.5K extra post-tax income for post-tax investing.
Place all in S&P500 for 20 years with a conservative, inflation adjusted rate of return at 7% results in an extra $3.5M with compounded growth.
View attachment 376257
750 patients extra for 20 years results in 15K more patients seen during that time for an extra $3.5M. Equates to $233/patient ($3.5M/15K patients).
I think we'd all take $233/patient as $150/patient after overhead is the gold standard. Very few places collect >$200/patient.
You essentially get to retire 5 years sooner and have a lot more in post-tax investment accounts at that time. Over those next 5 years from age 50-55 you have a better passive income stream and the gap further widens.
View attachment 376261
You end up with close to an extra $5M assuming you don't withdraw from this amount and live off of your traditional retirement that you would have otherwise had in your portfolio. All for just working a little harder and seeing 0.5 pph more.
Retiring 5 years sooner saves you from seeing an additional 11,250 patients (2,250 patients/year x 5 years) during that timeframe. 60,000 patients (3K patients/year x 20 years) versus 56,250 patients (2,250 patients/year x 25 years). 3,750 extra patients over 25 years for $5M.
I'll take job 1. Daily reminder to do the bare maximum.
Think starfield will work on a couple year old alienware laptop? Whens download time?
Off thread topic but somewhat related to this, any good recs for games running off of steamdeck for a long 8+ hour flight coming up? I like RPGs, RTS, factorio-type games, lots of random indie games, not so much into FPS genre unless they're real solid (like bioshock or HL). Starfield will have to wait for my return...Think starfield will work on a couple year old alienware laptop? Whens download time?
Off thread topic but somewhat related to this, any good recs for games running off of steamdeck for a long 8+ hour flight coming up? I like RPGs, RTS, factorio-type games, lots of random indie games, not so much into FPS genre unless they're real solid (like bioshock or HL). Starfield will have to wait for my return...
My recent plays have been Hollow Knight, Resident Evil 4 remake, Vampire Survivors. Celeste is a great indie platformer. Octopath Traveler is a great JRPG. If you haven't played Portal 1 and 2 I highly recommend.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Blasphemous 2 just got released. Blasphemous 1 was such an amazingly good metroidvania that a sequel was basically mandatory.
Sea of Stars (spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger) just got released.
Octopath Traveler 1 was gold. I put down Octopath 2 after a few hours because it's so woke and contains all of the annoying parts of a JRPG with almost none of the fun of the first one.
My recent plays have been Hollow Knight, Resident Evil 4 remake, Vampire Survivors. Celeste is a great indie platformer. Octopath Traveler is a great JRPG. If you haven't played Portal 1 and 2 I highly recommend.
Blasphemous 2 just got released. Blasphemous 1 was such an amazingly good metroidvania that a sequel was basically mandatory.
Sea of Stars (spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger) just got released.
Octopath Traveler 1 was gold. I put down Octopath 2 after a few hours because it's so woke and contains all of the annoying parts of a JRPG with almost none of the fun of the first one.
BG3 if you can plug your deck in as it will decimate your battery.Off thread topic but somewhat related to this, any good recs for games running off of steamdeck for a long 8+ hour flight coming up? I like RPGs, RTS, factorio-type games, lots of random indie games, not so much into FPS genre unless they're real solid (like bioshock or HL). Starfield will have to wait for my return...
Disco Elysium is (I think) very interesting.
Vampire Survivors is on the other end of the spectrum vis-a-vis plot/text, but also super fun.
I actually enjoy Civ6 (smaller maps) quite a bit on the deck as well.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Blasphemous 2 just got released. Blasphemous 1 was such an amazingly good metroidvania that a sequel was basically mandatory.
Sea of Stars (spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger) just got released.
Octopath Traveler 1 was gold. I put down Octopath 2 after a few hours because it's so woke and contains all of the annoying parts of a JRPG with almost none of the fun of the first one.
Didn't even bother with Octopath 2 because of the reviews.
I never got to play Chrono Trigger, so I got the Steam port...and I found it...boring
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn't even bother with Octopath 2 because of the reviews.
I never got to play Chrono Trigger, so I got the Steam port...and I found it...boring
Octop.2 is such trash.
Did they really make a "furry catgirl" character?
They really made a "furry catgirl" character. And yes, you have to "collect all the beasts." Eff that. This isn't Pokemon and I'm not 25.
Don't get me started on the other cast members. There are 2, maybe 3 that I can stand to have on the screen.
I’ll restate my question as such would you rather work all 8s and job one see 2 pph and make 300/hr or job b see 1 pph but make 200/hr. The $/unit of work is higher for the lower paying job.
$200/hr for 1 pph all day everyday. That’s literally the choice i made 2 years ago.
Can someone please tell me what the difference in quality of life is between 450k and 350k? After taxes you’re basically looking at a difference of 65k.
There sure is a difference in job happiness levels between 2 pph vs 1 pph.
If you’re just coming out of residency, have no net worth, then sure, grind away. But once you have a net worth, your investments are paying off and cash flowing then the extra 60-70k post taxes isn’t going to make any significant quality of life difference, while having a chill job will have a quality of life difference.
Think starfield will work on a couple year old alienware laptop? Whens download time?
Its in early access now and releases in 4 days.
Early reports say is playable albeit not awesome on the Deck. They seem to be actively patching issues however.
More math.
Average 1,500 hours/year.
Job 1: 2 pph at $300/hour = $450K/year for 3,000 patients at $150/patient
Job 2: 1.5 pph at $225/hour = $337.5K for 2,250 patients at $150/patient
Difference of $112.5K/year ($450K - $337.5K) for 750 more patients.
Extra income marginally taxed at 24-32%, but perhaps an effective tax rate of closer to 24% married filed jointly.
$112.5K x 76% = $85.5K extra post-tax income for post-tax investing.
Place all in S&P500 for 20 years with a conservative, inflation adjusted rate of return at 7% results in an extra $3.5M with compounded growth.
View attachment 376257
750 patients extra for 20 years results in 15K more patients seen during that time for an extra $3.5M. Equates to $233/patient ($3.5M/15K patients).
I think we'd all take $233/patient as $150/patient after overhead is the gold standard. Very few places collect >$200/patient.
You essentially get to retire 5 years sooner and have a lot more in post-tax investment accounts at that time. Over those next 5 years from age 50-55 you have a better passive income stream and the gap further widens.
View attachment 376261
You end up with close to an extra $5M assuming you don't withdraw from this amount and live off of your traditional retirement that you would have otherwise had in your portfolio. All for just working a little harder and seeing 0.5 pph more.
Retiring 5 years sooner saves you from seeing an additional 11,250 patients (2,250 patients/year x 5 years) during that timeframe. 60,000 patients (3K patients/year x 20 years) versus 56,250 patients (2,250 patients/year x 25 years). 3,750 extra patients over 25 years for $5M.
I'll take job 1. Daily reminder to do the bare maximum.
Technically wrong analysis.
First of all, you shouldn’t be applying the effective tax rate, the last extra dollar is taxed at the marginal tax rate - and for most of us that’s somewhere between 32-35 percent. If someone has a physician wife, that may even be up to 37 percent. And this is just federal. The average state income tax rate is then 5 ish percent. Plus throw in an extra 1.45 percent Medicare tax paid for each extra dollar. Throw in another extra 2 percent for the average city tax too.
All in all, at high income levels of 450k and higher, your marginal tax rate after ALL taxes is easily 40 ish percent. Assuming w2 income.
So if you make an extra 112k, you’re taking home around 68k in after tax income.
So let’s say the person making 337k, saves about 100k per year including retirement accounts. This person does this for 30 years.
And the person making 450k saves 168k. This person does this for 30 years.
Let’s say both get an average 7 percent return.
In 30 years, the person making 337k ends with 10.2M while the other person ends up with 17.1M.
So the difference Is actually more like 7M.
Pretty huge amount. But…not a huge quality of life difference if you are worth 10M vs 17M.
That 60-70k adds up quick if you save it and invest it and you could retire much sooner. Alternatively if you prefer it’s fewer shifts, nicer vacations, private school. I wouldn’t minimize it. Just depends on what you value.$200/hr for 1 pph all day everyday. That’s literally the choice i made 2 years ago.
Can someone please tell me what the difference in quality of life is between 450k and 350k? After taxes you’re basically looking at a difference of 65k.
There sure is a difference in job happiness levels between 2 pph vs 1 pph.
If you’re just coming out of residency, have no net worth, then sure, grind away. But once you have a net worth, your investments are paying off and cash flowing then the extra 60-70k post taxes isn’t going to make any significant quality of life difference, while having a chill job will have a quality of life difference.
I’m not saying my way is right but it all adds up.
You could open up a defined benefit plan in which case it’s all saved pretax.
The counter is you are financially better off working extra years at the tail end of your career so your money can bloat in the stock market.
I imagine most people start our grinding hard and then pull back. It’s what I did.
That 60-70k adds up quick if you save it and invest it and you could retire much sooner. Alternatively if you prefer it’s fewer shifts, nicer vacations, private school. I wouldn’t minimize it. Just depends on what you value.
I’m not saying my way is right but it all adds up.
You could open up a defined benefit plan in which case it’s all saved pretax.
The counter is you are financially better off working extra years at the tail end of your career so your money can bloat in the stock market.
I imagine most people start our grinding hard and then pull back. It’s what I did.
Yeah i grinded for two years too. I think 2-3 years ago i would have absolutely taken the 300/hr 2-2.5 pph job.
Now my dream job is a < 10 patients per day ER and doing 4 24 hour shifts per month even if it means getting $150/hr. Unfortunately, the closest ER with <10 patients per month is 3 hours away, so I’m settling for a 27 patients per day ER.
What’s the point of grinding for 30 years though? Or even 20 years. That sounds like a miserable life. I certainly can’t do it anymore. But im also hitting my FI number in 3 years too so i have a very different mindset now.
I work at my main 2-2.5/h place and then our FSED where we are more like 1.6/h and much lower acuity and I just feel like the time drags when I’m at the FSED. I get I could watch tv or whatever, but I’d rather work less hours and work harder when I am at work.
Think starfield will work on a couple year old alienware laptop? Whens download time?
Looks like Starfield getting murdered in reviews.
7/10 from IGN...ouch!
IGN hands out 10s like candy so this reall says something.
So one of my places changed from 10 to 12 hour shifts just out of the blue
Enjoy always feeling tired and developing a deep and specific hatred for the docs in your group that always show up 10-15 minutes late.So one of my places changed from 10 to 12 hour shifts just out of the blue
Sorry you're dealing with this.
Free on game pass so I’m gonna try itLooks like Starfield getting murdered in reviews.
7/10 from IGN...ouch!
IGN hands out 10s like candy so this reall says something.
Have you already beaten BG3?Free on game pass so I’m gonna try it
NooooooooLooks like Starfield getting murdered in reviews.
7/10 from IGN...ouch!
IGN hands out 10s like candy so this reall says something.
So one of my places changed from 10 to 12 hour shifts just out of the blue
They did this to me back in 2016 because "all the doctors left", except 8s to 12s. I was just expected to work 160+ hours that month. I told them: "you have to reduce the number of my shifts, then". They said: "Lolz, no."
They did this to me back in 2016 because "all the doctors left", except 8s to 12s. I was just expected to work 160+ hours that month. I told them: "you have to reduce the number of my shifts, then". They said: "Lolz, no."
Yeah I want to quit
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess it also depends on what you mean by grind. One of the benefits of 8s is i am never "tired' after a shift unless it has to do with when i work. I have been lucky (for now). I dont work our very early shifts and almost never work overnights. That helps. I dont mind being super busy. I have been doing this 15+ years it just doesnt seem to bother me. i leave work at work. Being RVU based does mean i do some documentation after work. I would rather see 2 extra patients, leave on time etc. Again, im not mad at anyone for their choices. Truly just trying to see other perspectives.Yeah i grinded for two years too. I think 2-3 years ago i would have absolutely taken the 300/hr 2-2.5 pph job.
Now my dream job is a < 10 patients per day ER and doing 4 24 hour shifts per month even if it means getting $150/hr. Unfortunately, the closest ER with <10 patients per month is 3 hours away, so I’m settling for a 27 patients per day ER.
What’s the point of grinding for 30 years though? Or even 20 years. That sounds like a miserable life. I certainly can’t do it anymore. But im also hitting my FI number in 3 years too so i have a very different mindset now.
They did this to me back in 2016 because "all the doctors left", except 8s to 12s. I was just expected to work 160+ hours that month. I told them: "you have to reduce the number of my shifts, then". They said: "Lolz, no."
Yeah I want to quit
I was seriously the "last man standing" at that job site. Last man. We had 6 full time docs and some part-timers. They ALL left.
I got the rah-rah speech from EmCare about "being the flag-bearer" and some other jingoist nonsense that I can't or won't remember.
My response to them did not endear me to them at all. I left that job shortly thereafter.
It's a shame; because it could be such a good site. Really could be. I now work at a shop in the next county down. I remember on my first day at the new shop, I ran into an RN that I worked with there who was now house supervisor at "my new job". Hugs and back-pats and all. Then I ran into a rad tech or two that I used to work with at OldJob. Then more staff. Then I learned just how bad it got after I left. The common thread: administration has totally poisoned the well and nobody can stand even walking into that place.
Just downloaded Hades...i'm hooked!
From the reviews Starfield seems a disappointment. No actual space travel or real planets like NMS.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Goddamn i love the starfield hype train derailing.
"It gets better after a dozen hours." LOL
Pass.
"It gets better after a dozen hours." LOL
Pass.
Yeah, hopefully they release a massive patch. I'm not sure what they're going to do though since it isn't like they need to fix bugs, they need to fix the broken story pacing and inject good characters.Goddamn i love the starfield hype train derailing.
"It gets better after a dozen hours." LOL
Pass.
Yeah, hopefully they release a massive patch. I'm not sure what they're going to do though since it isn't like they need to fix bugs, they need to fix the broken story pacing and inject good characters.
Yeah it doesn't seem to be a bug issue.
Just seems to be a....bad game.
I was excited for it. Once of the cool things about NMS is that you can fly through space, to the actual planets, enter the atmosphere, and land anywhere you want. The only downside is that procedurally generated planets feel stale after a bit, and don't have diverse biomes.Yeah it doesn't seem to be a bug issue.
Just seems to be a....bad game.
Starfield should have been like Firefly, confine it to one solar system with a few dozen planets and moons. Make each world unique, and have realistic travel between the planets. We don't need 1000 fake planets with limited exploration options.
whelp that sucks, guess after bg3 ill get around to finally beating witcher 3.I was excited for it. Once of the cool things about NMS is that you can fly through space, to the actual planets, enter the atmosphere, and land anywhere you want. The only downside is that procedurally generated planets feel stale after a bit, and don't have diverse biomes.
Starfield should have been like Firefly, confine it to one solar system with a few dozen planets and moons. Make each world unique, and have realistic travel between the planets. We don't need 1000 fake planets with limited exploration options.
After midnight.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
Daily reminder to do the bare minimum.
You haven't done that yet? Oh man, that game is amazing. Played it through both expansions twice.whelp that sucks, guess after bg3 ill get around to finally beating witcher 3.
Oh no. Not at all. In act 2 somewhereHave you already beaten BG3?
Oh no. Not at all. In act 2 somewhere
I’m thoroughly enjoying BG3.
Also I spent 9 dollars a month on a NVIDIA GeForce now account because I got sick of buying a new gaming rig every few years. Works great.
I’m thoroughly enjoying BG3.
Also I spent 9 dollars a month on a NVIDIA GeForce now account because I got sick of buying a new gaming rig every few years. Works great.
I'm hoping it runs OK on the Deck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve only played it on deck so far, and I’ve found it pretty great. I heard act 3 gets some slowdowns due to map resources, but it has been patched a couple times, so might be improved?I'm hoping it runs OK on the Deck!
I'm hoping it runs OK on the Deck!
If not GeForce now runs on even an old crappy laptop or Chromebook. And it will play stuff like the newest farcry or assassins creed like a champ as long as you have good internet. Kind of crazy. I enjoyed putting together gaming PCs in the past but I think I’m done given a decent GPU is at least 500 dollars alone and that’s almost 4 years of cloud. The gpu will be outdated in like 2-3 years at most.
I’ve only played it on deck so far, and I’ve found it pretty great. I heard act 3 gets some slowdowns due to map resources, but it has been patched a couple times, so might be improved?
Have you tweeked settings?
Docked?
Act 3 slowed down on my pretty recent desktop rig. The most intense parts of Act 3 are turn-based so none of the intermittent chugging messes with gameplay. Finished my obligatory bard run-through, trying to decide what to play as next since a killed a decent number of possible companions outright my first time and missed out on a decent amount of quest completions in Act 2 due to not realizing I'd be locked out of certain events during a specific moment the game warns you about. In general it seems like there's always a way to pick up your companions' quests but a quest that's act specific needs to be completed prior to when the game asks if you really want to continue.I’ve only played it on deck so far, and I’ve found it pretty great. I heard act 3 gets some slowdowns due to map resources, but it has been patched a couple times, so might be improved?
I haven’t touched a thing to have solid play in act 1 / act 2. Download. Patch. Run.Have you tweeked settings?
Docked?
I figure when I hit act 3 I’ll go find a recent Reddit thread on settings.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 47
- Views
- 3K