Daily reminder to do the bare minimum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually the hospital is like a time capsule in many ways. Midlevels/residents are banned from the "Doctor's Dining Room" and my midlevels are not allowed to talk to Admitting docs/consultants. Bizarro world.

A physician to physician discussion?
Radical idea.
 
A physician to physician discussion?
Radical idea.
Good in theory, but a huge disruption in work flow. No reason a midlevel can't call an ortho and ask for an ankle fracture to be seen in clinic the next day. Again, remember we are trying to do the minimum here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good in theory, but a huge disruption in work flow. No reason a midlevel can't call an ortho and ask for an ankle fracture to be seen in clinic the next day. Again, remember we are trying to do the minimum here.

I agree.
I run into too many situations where the PLP calls the specialist, or even the admitting physician, only for them to ask to talk to me because they can't even articulate what's going on.

FWIW, I also had neurosurg call me last shift after I admitted a Parkinson's with "off-period" motor dysfunction because (and I quote): "The hospitalist just called me and ordered MRI from nose to toes and said we may have cord compression, but I wanted to talk with someone who knows what he's talking about. Should I go to sleep, Fox?"

"Yes, you should go back to sleep. You know how dumb this guy is."

"Yeah, I figured - just wanted reassurance. When you didn't call me first, I had my doubts."
 
I got chewed out last night by a surgeon for "not writing holding orders" on a patient. This was at 7PM and surgeon was physically in the hospital. Why are we expected to do the work of other physicians during reasonable hours when they should be awake? Also EMR makes it easy to put in orders from anywhere.
Really? Really? I would have hung up on his A$$ and told him to do his job. I can say I have never been chewed out by anyone since residency.
 
Really? Really? I would have hung up on his A$$ and told him to do his job. I can say I have never been chewed out by anyone since residency.
Just remember when the guy on other end is angry, he's having the problem, not you.

I had a spine surgeon yell at me for doing a contrast enhanced MRI. Dude, it's a radiology protocol order. If you have a problem with it, talk to radiology. Guy is a dick to everyone all the time. Luckily his group is no longer taking spine call.
 
Really? Really? I would have hung up on his A$$ and told him to do his job. I can say I have never been chewed out by anyone since residency.
His complaint was "All the other doctors do it for us! The nurses had the audacity to call me and ask for holding order!"
If he had asked politely for a few holding orders when I initially called I would have had no issue with that.
 
His complaint was "All the other doctors do it for us! The nurses had the audacity to call me and ask for holding order!"
If he had asked politely for a few holding orders when I initially called I would have had no issue with that.
There in lies the problem. I did holding orders all the time. Document he accepting, put basic stuff, add in at the end "Call attending" when on floor. Easy, takes 1 minute.

But be an A$$ and I am not doing it for you.

Be nice/pleasant and I will go to the floor and put in a central line for you. Don't like it but docs who are easy to work with I will bend over backwards for them. Be an A$$ and they are dead to me.
 
There in lies the problem. I did holding orders all the time. Document he accepting, put basic stuff, add in at the end "Call attending" when on floor. Easy, takes 1 minute.

But be an A$$ and I am not doing it for you.

Be nice/pleasant and I will go to the floor and put in a central line for you. Don't like it but docs who are easy to work with I will bend over backwards for them. Be an A$$ and they are dead to me.
I've nevery understood their laziness. If I'm an admitting doc, taking LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY for a patient, would I want to put my own holding orders in, or would I rely on another doc, who I don't know to do it for me? It's just a bizarre situation, and makes no sense in the age of EMR. I'm sure he has holding order sets and could place whatever he wants in about 2 minutes.
 
I've nevery understood their laziness. If I'm an admitting doc, taking LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY for a patient, would I want to put my own holding orders in, or would I rely on another doc, who I don't know to do it for me? It's just a bizarre situation, and makes no sense in the age of EMR. I'm sure he has holding order sets and could place whatever he wants in about 2 minutes.
grandpa has technology issues and can't work the EMR very well
 
There is liability exposure to an EP for putting in holding orders for admitting patients. Our malpractice carrier has advised us against placing any holding orders. It’s the responsibility of the admitting service to place admission orders.
I agree completely. At most I'll put an NPO and maintenance fluid order. They can have one dose of pain meds before they leave the ED.