Barely passed STEP I, and I want to become an OB/GYN.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figpips

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, but I am a current third year student hoping to apply to OB/GYN residencies. I received my STEP score one week ago, and barely passed. I made a 200. It shocks me, and yet it doesn't surprise me, because although I was in the 220s-230s range on practice exams and averaged an 80% on UWorld (timed), my scores tend to suffer on the real deal (same with my MCAT).

...I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I had a B average during pre-clinical years, had some posters/presentations (4) from summer research (not in the OB/GYN field)... I haven't done my OB/GYN rotation yet, but I absolutely love my third year so far; I get a feel that my patients enjoy having me as part of their team of providers, and I have received positive comments from my attendings and residents. I worked incredibly hard on some organizations during my pre-clinical years that were also passion projects, and continue to help out as a third year when I can. Those organizations are related to OB/GYN issues. I also helped create an OB/GYN-related elective (electives are student-run at our school) that is available for first and second year students.

I just...I don't know what to do. I find it hard to chock it all up to test anxiety, because this mostly started in medical school. I have had problems with depression and anxiety in the past, and I think those issues finally bubbled over during my studying. I just...I remember this happening during my MCAT, and the vicious cycle of depression and defeat that colored my medical school interview cycle. I somehow received an offer from a top 20 US medical school, which I accepted.

I guess...I'm just looking for advice. I don't want this score to cloud the rest of my third year, but I'm struggling justify my continuation of medical school. I loved what I have experienced of third year, but my luck of getting into the school I currently attend will probably not happen again with regards to residency (if I even have a shot at residency). I'm also worried about my mental health, and it affecting the ways in which I can improve myself, both as a proto-physician (if that's even in my cards at this point) and residency candidate (my current rotation, future rotations, end-of-rotation shelf exams, STEP 2). I remember how I was after bombing my MCAT, and I was afraid of the same thing happening during STEP 1, and it did. And with this score, I'm afraid it's like a pack of dominos, in that my STEP score will affect my already low confidence and self-esteem so much so, that I won't do well on shelf exams or STEP 2 or my rotations.

Knowing my score now, I just...I don't know how I can get past this. I've been told not to let this define me, but this does define my residency application for a career that also dictates my personal life. A STEP 1 score casts a long shadow, and I doubt any of us would be in medical school if we didn't take grades a bit personally. There is also a sting of shame. My school is know for producing stellar STEP scores and people that place into top residencies, and my friends have all received super scores, and I just feel like I don't deserve to be here or that I've somehow failed not only myself, but all of the people who bent over backwards to support me while I studied.

I was thinking about talking to the OB/GYN clerkship director, even though I haven't done OB/GYN yet... I have a notoriously lighter rotation after my OB/GYN rotation, and could perhaps take on a bit of clinical research if it helps me get a publication.

I apologize for the "stream-of-consciousness" nature of this post. I'm not even quite sure about the specifics of advice that I am asking...perhaps something like, "Where do I go from here?" I'd appreciate any help...whether it's similar experiences, to the possibility of still getting into a residency, to just getting out funk that this score has put me in.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, but I am a current third year student hoping to apply to OB/GYN residencies. I received my STEP score one week ago, and barely passed. I made a 200. It shocks me, and yet it doesn't surprise me, because although I was in the 220s-230s range on practice exams and averaged an 80% on UWorld (timed), my scores tend to suffer on the real deal (same with my MCAT).

...I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I had a B average during pre-clinical years, had some posters/presentations (4) from summer research (not in the OB/GYN field)... I haven't done my OB/GYN rotation yet, but I absolutely love my third year so far; I get a feel that my patients enjoy having me as part of their team of providers, and I have received positive comments from my attendings and residents. I worked incredibly hard on some organizations during my pre-clinical years that were also passion projects, and continue to help out as a third year when I can. Those organizations are related to OB/GYN issues. I also helped create an OB/GYN-related elective (electives are student-run at our school) that is available for first and second year students.

I just...I don't know what to do. I find it hard to chock it all up to test anxiety, because this mostly started in medical school. I have had problems with depression and anxiety in the past, and I think those issues finally bubbled over during my studying. I just...I remember this happening during my MCAT, and the vicious cycle of depression and defeat that colored my medical school interview cycle. I somehow received an offer from a top 20 US medical school, which I accepted.

I guess...I'm just looking for advice. I don't want this score to cloud the rest of my third year, but I'm struggling justify my continuation of medical school. I loved what I have experienced of third year, but my luck of getting into the school I currently attend will probably not happen again with regards to residency (if I even have a shot at residency). I'm also worried about my mental health, and it affecting the ways in which I can improve myself, both as a proto-physician (if that's even in my cards at this point) and residency candidate (my current rotation, future rotations, end-of-rotation shelf exams, STEP 2). I remember how I was after bombing my MCAT, and I was afraid of the same thing happening during STEP 1, and it did. And with this score, I'm afraid it's like a pack of dominos, in that my STEP score will affect my already low confidence and self-esteem so much so, that I won't do well on shelf exams or STEP 2 or my rotations.

Knowing my score now, I just...I don't know how I can get past this. I've been told not to let this define me, but this does define my residency application for a career that also dictates my personal life. A STEP 1 score casts a long shadow, and I doubt any of us would be in medical school if we didn't take grades a bit personally. There is also a sting of shame. My school is know for producing stellar STEP scores and people that place into top residencies, and my friends have all received super scores, and I just feel like I don't deserve to be here or that I've somehow failed not only myself, but all of the people who bent over backwards to support me while I studied.

I was thinking about talking to the OB/GYN clerkship director, even though I haven't done OB/GYN yet... I have a notoriously lighter rotation after my OB/GYN rotation, and could perhaps take on a bit of clinical research if it helps me get a publication.

I apologize for the "stream-of-consciousness" nature of this post. I'm not even quite sure about the specifics of advice that I am asking...perhaps something like, "Where do I go from here?" I'd appreciate any help...whether it's similar experiences, to the possibility of still getting into a residency, to just getting out funk that this score has put me in.

Thank you.

You are putting way too much pressure on your Step I score. It is not great but that is not what is going to make or break your application. You need to make sure that you do well on your clerkships and try for a better score on Step II.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

Your story is very similar to mine which is why I want to encourage you not to give up! I am currently applying to OB/GYN residency programs.

I am a 4th year medical student at a top school also and their ob/gyn program is highly competitive. Currently, I am going through the application process and choosing which programs to apply to. I got a 201 on step 1 and I was extremely disappointed (I am not the best at standardized tests either though I put a lot of time and hard work into preparing for them). I also have struggled with depression and anxiety beginning in medical school and finally asked for help (which was the best decision I could have made...and wish I would have gotten help sooner!). My confidence and self-esteem got really low but now I have my confidence back! Anyways, I enjoyed my 3rd year a lot better. I recently received my Step 2 score and found out I made a 224 (was really shooting for 260+). However, I am going to go with it and apply smartly to programs that would consider me for an interview in addition to far reaching ones. The interviews that I do receive, I am going to do my best to show them that I am more that what my step scores show!!!

I'm sorry that I can't help more...because I am going through the application process currently. But I will keep in touch on this thread and let you and anyone else with similar scores know what happens in regards to matching.

Believe me, I know how it feels when you let your scores and how you compare to others determine your confidence and how good of a student and future doctor you will be. The truth is...though programs and schools find scores important...just remember in the real world you will no longer be judge based on your scores or labeled as P2, 3, or 4. You will be someone's colleague, friend, and/or doctor and the only thing that matters is how you treat and serve them!

Just remember that though some programs look solely at numbers that there has to be programs that look for those medical students who will make great caring, hard working, and personable residents/doctors and who will be a great team member!! One day our numbers won't matter and what will matter is how we treat and care for our patients!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also chime in to say that I'm applying obgyn this year with not great step 1 scores and I'm awaiting my step2 scores. I'm just trying to think positive and know that if I can get some interviews I can overcome the numbers since I interview well and the rest of my application is good.

I'm applying broadly and hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone as well.

What's done is done... Your score is what it is. Accept it. Also accept the fact that it doesn't define you... Don't beat yourself up, don't try to find excuses..You know yourself and your potential better than everyone. Giving up on the career you love because of a standardized exam is madness!! Ask only one question: where do I go from here? Dwelling on the past will only cast a shadow on what you do now and ruin your future. Use it as motivation!!
1. Do well on your 3rd year rotations. I found 3rd year a lot of fun. I always had this fear that I'm not good enough... But 3rd year boosted my confidence!!! Rotations do have shelf exams though so unfortunately shining on the wards may not be enough. If you are really bad at tests talk to someone at your school about test taking strategies. We have a person at our school whose job is pretty much to help us when we're freaking out about exams. I'm sure there are done helpful videos online too. Practice relaxation techniques. Work on your skills! Being calm really does go a long way on these tests.
2. If you are depressed or have anxiety issues, ask for help!!! All you may need is a listening ear. Some of my friends at school reached out for help with similar problems and they did great!!
3. If you really want to do ob reach out to the department at your school and get some research done.
4. Take step 2 early and do well! Use 3rd year and shelf exams to better your test taking skills.
Along the way get to know the physicians you work with. Show them that you are a competent, reliable student. Establish good relationships and get good letters.

Hope that's helpful. Step 1 is just 1 part of a long application. Though it is important, it's not all that matters. With good clinical grades, letters, research and step 2 you definitely still have a shot at many programs!! Concentrate on the now and use the score as motivation. Becoming a better test taker is a learned skill. Work on it! Though you know in your head that's the reason for doing worse than you wanted to, and most of us fellow med students can relate... In the big world it sounds like an excuse and programs won't care too much. Good luck! Pm if there's anything I can help with!

Hello Everyone!

So sorry for just now updating my post-match day status! I almost forgot about my pre-interview season post last August!

Well...... I am excited to let all of you know that I matched at a University OB/GYN Program! Not only that but it was my #1 choice!!!

I applied to 52 programs - mainly in the southeast and received a total of 22 interview invites and accepted/interviews at 15 of them! (I would have loved to interview at all of the programs that gave me an invite because I am above grateful to them. However due to the costly interview traveling & not having enough hours/days in a week - it was impossible to interview at them all.)I also have a friend who had a step 1 score a little higher than me and she received her 1st choice too! So it is possible - I believe it is all about getting your foot in the door.

So here was the approach I took in deciding which programs to apply to:

1.) First I chose them based on the minimum cutoff. However, if your step 1 is below the minimum cut off but your step 2 is above - still apply! I received a few interviews from programs that I did not meet the minimum for their step 1 but did meet the step 2 minimum (This is including the program that I matched at)

2.) APGO & FRIEDA are amazing resources! Use them. I made an excel doc of all programs that I was interested in geographically and filled in info about step 1 & 2 averages of their current residents as well as the program's step 1 and 2 minimum if they have them. (Word of advice - look for the date of when this info was last updated because sometimes the program hasn't updated this info since 2011 so just be weary of the current info). Make sure you apply to a large portion of programs that you meet or exceed their step 1 and/or step 2 averages. But still apply to programs that you don't meet their averages if you feel that you would be a great fit! Also be aware that APGO & FRIEDA's info on programs do not always match up - never figured out which one to trust more when they both differed in a minimum stpe 1 or 2 cutoff.

3.) Also if your medical school provides step scores of past medical students and where they matched this is also a valuable resource. Because you need to make sure these are are your list to apply to as well.

4.) Look up programs and see where students from your medical school have matched at or are currently at in your field of interest. Apply to these! Because this will increase your chances of receiving an interview - giving you an opportunity to get your foot in the door - especially if they like/liked their current or past residents from your school!

5.) If you have not received an interview invite from a program you are interested in - EMAIL THEM! I did this with 2 programs and received interviews from both! Hopefully you will have an update to your application (for example I had an abstract that was accepted to a conference so I said that I just wanted to update them on that). Additionally in that email - express why you are extremely interested in their program (SPECIFIC EXAMPLES!!!) and why you think you would be a great fit and would love the opportunity to interview there! Now I am not saying you will always get an email by doing this because I know of people that emailing a program did not result in an interview invite but I definitely do not think it hurts.

I hope that this helps and encourages those with similar low step scores that it is more than possible to match! Remember you are more than just a number! Once you get that interview, you are on an even playing field (this is true for most programs) and now you get the opportunity to show them who YOU are in person!!!

I would be happy to offer answers to any questions that I can - just message me. After June, I may be delayed in my response time due to learning how to be an intern but will try my best to keep checking in periodically.

Best wishes to everyone about to begin the application & interview process!

Hi!

Your story is very similar to mine which is why I want to encourage you not to give up! I am currently applying to OB/GYN residency programs.

I am a 4th year medical student at a top school also and their ob/gyn program is highly competitive. Currently, I am going through the application process and choosing which programs to apply to. I got a 201 on step 1 and I was extremely disappointed (I am not the best at standardized tests either though I put a lot of time and hard work into preparing for them). I also have struggled with depression and anxiety beginning in medical school and finally asked for help (which was the best decision I could have made...and wish I would have gotten help sooner!). My confidence and self-esteem got really low but now I have my confidence back! Anyways, I enjoyed my 3rd year a lot better. I recently received my Step 2 score and found out I made a 224 (was really shooting for 260+). However, I am going to go with it and apply smartly to programs that would consider me for an interview in addition to far reaching ones. The interviews that I do receive, I am going to do my best to show them that I am more that what my step scores show!!!

I'm sorry that I can't help more...because I am going through the application process currently. But I will keep in touch on this thread and let you and anyone else with similar scores know what happens in regards to matching.

Believe me, I know how it feels when you let your scores and how you compare to others determine your confidence and how good of a student and future doctor you will be. The truth is...though programs and schools find scores important...just remember in the real world you will no longer be judge based on your scores or labeled as P2, 3, or 4. You will be someone's colleague, friend, and/or doctor and the only thing that matters is how you treat and serve them!

Just remember that though some programs look solely at numbers that there has to be programs that look for those medical students who will make great caring, hard working, and personable residents/doctors and who will be a great team member!! One day our numbers won't matter and what will matter is how we treat and care for our patients!! :)

Reactions: 10 users