Barron's Book, Williams and Wilkins????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these books? I have them, they are from 1999. Just wondering if I should bother with them. I bought them a long long time ago
The barrons book is called "how to prepare for the DAT" and the Williams and Wilkins is called "Complete preparation for the DAT"
Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

i used them. do you, by any chance, have the kaplan books? i found the kaplan book to be helpful as a review and the barron's and the other book as a source of practice questions.

The Barrons review was the first DAT review book I used - so i was pretty much taking its word as gospel for a while. However after using a few other books (including a horrendous orange DAT prep book that they're pushing in the SDN bookstore) the Barrons was the best source of information, although the science review section in kind of incomplete. I think I have the 1999 version as well, and it was fine for the DAT last year. Let's face it - you can never have too many practice tests. The best part of the Barrons book, however, are the informational sections at the beginning of the book (written by a "real" recent dental school admittee) which were super helpful as I tried to muddle though my personal statement, application and generally figuring out where I wanted to attend dental school.
The Kaplen "big red book" looked really helpful, however I didn't know it existed until after I had taken my DAT.

Good Luck! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
The Barrons review was the first DAT review book I used - so i was pretty much taking its word as gospel for a while. However after using a few other books (including a horrendous orange DAT prep book that they're pushing in the SDN bookstore) the Barrons was the best source of information, although the science review section in kind of incomplete. I think I have the 1999 version as well, and it was fine for the DAT last year. Let's face it - you can never have too many practice tests. The best part of the Barrons book, however, are the informational sections at the beginning of the book (written by a "real" recent dental school admittee) which were super helpful as I tried to muddle though my personal statement, application and generally figuring out where I wanted to attend dental school.
The Kaplen "big red book" looked really helpful, however I didn't know it existed until after I had taken my DAT.

Good Luck! :clap:

Kung Foo
Did you find the PAT section adequate in the Barrons book?

I thought the Barren's PAT explinations were great. I gives some hints and rules to follow that I found very helpful.

Barron's is great for the General Chem section. Kaplan and Shaum's books were great for the bio. Kaplan also makes a prep book specifically for O-chem which I found helpful.