Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters Program Fall 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMS246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current student at Barry University's Biomedical Sciences program. Feel free to ask any questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I am a current student at Barry University's Biomedical Sciences program. Feel free to ask any questions about the program.
Many people on here have inquired about SMP programs, so this a good thread you have posted.

1. How much does it cost to attend? Include tuition, fees, room/board
2. How hard is your curriculum? And the length of the program.
3. Can you comment of the success of past students that have attended the program? i.e. how many have went on to pursue med/dent schools
4. Any particular advantages to attending Barry as opposed to to others in the country? I believe the VCU, Midwestern-Ill, and the one at Rutgers all lead to guaranteed interviews at those respective schools. I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people on here have inquired about SMP programs, so this a good thread you have posted.

3. Can you comment of the success of past students that have attended the program? i.e. how many have went on to pursue med/dent schools
4. Any particular advantages to attending Barry as opposed to to others in the country? I believe the VCU, Midwestern-Ill, and the one at Rutgers all lead to guaranteed interviews at those respective schools. I could be wrong though.

I believe VCU does not lead to guaranteed interview. You will be considered more if Im remembering correctly. The director of admission told me that more competitive candidates will be invited to interviews first, then whatevers left will be given to VCU grad program whatever... not sure

I am also a Barry student, in pre-dental and I started January 2014.

1. tuition wise it is a little less than 1,000 per credit, so since the program is 36 credits, you're looking at around 34,000- 3,5000 for the entire cost of the program (1 year or 18 months, whatever track you choose to enrol in). There a lot of great options for housing around campus, it also depends on your preference (usually anywhere from 1100-1800/month for a 1-2 bedroom, you have the option of getting a room mate to stay within budget)
2. The curriculum is pretty straight forward, you will have some challenging classes (remember that this program mimics the curriculum of first year dental/medical schools) but you will also have some classes that are not as challenging. I can tell you now that if you put in the effort and study efficiently in this program, you will do very well in this program. The professors are super approachable and all them want to see you succeed. (There is no bell curve, so they'll be very happy if everyone gets an A). As far as the length of the program, you can choose to do the one year, 18 month or 2 year track, this really depends on your preference and how heavy you want your courseload to be.)
3. I am in the pre-dental program and I can proudly say that I have already had 4 interviews and have been accepted into my top choice dental school, most of my peers who have also done well and applied this cycle have had at least one interview.
4. I think Barry is a good choice, everyone there tries to help you and the environment is laid back (it won't be cut throat). We have a new dean, his name is Dr. Chandra and he's honestly one of the nicest people I've met, he is definitely trying his best to make this program the best it can be. Plus the weather and beach situation had me sold.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Good luck!!

1. The program is 36 credits and each credit is $990 so overall tuition is about $36,000. Room/board is between $1000-$2000 for a 1-2 bedroom.

2. You can choose to complete the program in one of the following tracks:

1) “The 12 month (Accelerated) Track is a rigorous curriculum designed for students who have already completed their undergraduate pre-med/ pre-dental preparation and want to enhance their qualifications for entrance into medical or dental school.”

2) “The 18-month / 2-year Track is also designed to prepare you for acceptance to medical and dental schools, but at a slightly less rigorous pace than the 1-year accelerated program.”

3) “The Research Track is designed for students who are currently employed in the health-care industry who seek advancement in their chosen field, those who wish to "cross-over" into the biomedical fields in industry or teaching, and those who are preparing for PhD programs.”

Depending on the track that you choose will determine the difficulty of your overall course load. Overall, if you study hard, you will perform well in any of the above tracks.

3. Many students who have successfully completed the program are in medical/dental schools. Remember that it is not just the program that gets students into professional schools. You must perform well on the DAT/MCAT and be involved in extra-curricular activities. It is important to be an overall strong applicant.

4. Although Barry does not lead to guaranteed interviews, students who show that they can successfully handle a heavy course load, perform well on their MCAT/DAT, and stay involved in valuable extra-curricular activities are very likely to get interviews. The faculty at Barry is terrific! Everyone is always available to help out the students. South Florida is also a great place to live in. There is always something fun to do during your breaks from studying!

Thoughts on where to look for a roommate starting for summer session? Or where to live in general. Thanks!

Thoughts on where to look for a roommate starting for summer session? Or where to live in general. Thanks!

The campus is in Hollywood so make sure not to choose a place near the main campus in Miami Shores. Many people live in an apartment complex called The Radius and it's a pretty great place and walking distance from campus!

Reactions: 2 users

Hey there! if you are looking for a room mate try checking out the facebook group for the program or your entering semester. There are always other students trying to find room mates as well. Some places to check out are the Radius like BMS246 mentioned, the Hollywood Station and Regent Park.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for creating this thread! I'm in the process of applying to Barry. Is it very competitive to get in? My undergrad GPA was 3.2 but I only took bio and did poorly in it. In my post-bacc I've gotten mostly B's, a few A's, but Orgo 1 I had to retake a couple of times (I had an F, C-, then A+). I have a lot of experience as a dental assistant and I'm taking the DAT in June.

Did you spend a lot of time on the admissions essays?

Do you have time to enjoy the weather or go to the beach?

Do you need a car down there? If so what is the traffic/parking situation? (I'm in NYC now and hoping for something more low-key for masters)

Thank you!

Thank you for creating this thread! I'm in the process of applying to Barry. Is it very competitive to get in? My undergrad GPA was 3.2 but I only took bio and did poorly in it. In my post-bacc I've gotten mostly B's, a few A's, but Orgo 1 I had to retake a couple of times (I had an F, C-, then A+). I have a lot of experience as a dental assistant and I'm taking the DAT in June.

Do you need a car down there? If so what is the traffic/parking situation? (I'm in NYC now and hoping for something more low-key for masters)

Thank you!

I think you should okay with regards to the application, I would recommend contacting the admissions office to get a better understanding if what else you might need to do with regards to your application.

For the admissions essay try to think of it as your personal statement for dental school. It's good practice for when you are actually applying to AADSAS. So list your past experience, why you think you are a good candidate etc..
If you plan ahead and use your time wisely, you will definitely have some free time to enjoy the beach and beautiful weather! :)
I personally have a car down here, the transit system is not the greatest, especially if you are comparing it to New York. Also if you live near the campus, you can probably just walk or bike to class. Parking for barry students is free, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Thank you!

I definitely agree with everything that barrybms2014 said! Treat the essay as if it's your personal statement. If you manage your time wisely, you will definitely have free time. The weather is wonderful and there is always something fun to do. Personally, I think it is important to have a car here. However, if you live near the campus, you can walk to school. There isn't really traffic around the campus area and parking is free.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any questions about the school or questions regarding the application, feel free to ask them here!

How competitive is this program. Should I bother applying, my gpa is a 2.85

Is there anyway I can get accepted into the program without taking the gre?

yes, i had taken the DAT, and the premeds had taken the MCAT

I am in the application process and was curious on what size the class of admitted students is and what typically class sizes are for individual courses?

I am in the application process and was curious on what size the class of admitted students is and what typically class sizes are for individual courses?

It depends on the class you are taking, the required ones will have around 60 students, while your electives will typically be a little less. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know how many people are in the program? I applied and im waiting to hear back

Hi guys, does anyone know if I can use my AMCAS personal statement for the statement of purpose? Thanks :)

@RR1515 same here applied last month and had all the documents submitted on April 1st but still haven't heard back, they told me it will take 2-3 weeks after the file is complete. kind of worried if I don't get accepted

I applied around the same time as you guys, and did not hear back for a little bit as well. I think it just depends on how many applications they are getting and how long it takes them to read through everyone's information.

Are most of the people that participate in this program from Florida? If I get in I would be coming from Texas... was wondering if there are any other out of staters at Barry

Are most of the people that participate in this program from Florida? If I get in I would be coming from Texas... was wondering if there are any other out of staters at Barry
I'm from California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't Barry has preference to Florida students, you will find students from everywhere in all your classes, there's a couple of international students as well!

Hey everyone,

What were your stats when you applied? How rigid are the admissions requirements?

What were your stats when you applied? How rigid are the admissions requirements?

the requirements are very similar to those of dental/med schools (think of this program as a step inbetween), they also need you have either your MCAT or DAT). I think you submit a GRE as well. I would talk to the admissions people, so you can get a better informed decision about your application specifically.

I am also a Barry student, in pre-dental and I started January 2014.

1. tuition wise it is a little less than 1,000 per credit, so since the program is 36 credits, you're looking at around 34,000- 3,5000 for the entire cost of the program (1 year or 18 months, whatever track you choose to enrol in). There a lot of great options for housing around campus, it also depends on your preference (usually anywhere from 1100-1800/month for a 1-2 bedroom, you have the option of getting a room mate to stay within budget)
2. The curriculum is pretty straight forward, you will have some challenging classes (remember that this program mimics the curriculum of first year dental/medical schools) but you will also have some classes that are not as challenging. I can tell you now that if you put in the effort and study efficiently in this program, you will do very well in this program. The professors are super approachable and all them want to see you succeed. (There is no bell curve, so they'll be very happy if everyone gets an A). As far as the length of the program, you can choose to do the one year, 18 month or 2 year track, this really depends on your preference and how heavy you want your courseload to be.)
3. I am in the pre-dental program and I can proudly say that I have already had 4 interviews and have been accepted into my top choice dental school, most of my peers who have also done well and applied this cycle have had at least one interview.
4. I think Barry is a good choice, everyone there tries to help you and the environment is laid back (it won't be cut throat). We have a new dean, his name is Dr. Chandra and he's honestly one of the nicest people I've met, he is definitely trying his best to make this program the best it can be. Plus the weather and beach situation had me sold.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Good luck!!

how much are books for each semester?

how much are books for each semester?
It depends on the courses that you take. Some classes only recommend books. Some require them but you end up studying from the given notes/powerpoints. For the labs, however, the anatomy atlas and neuroanatomy atlas is required. Each of these is probably less than $50. The physiology book is around $70 but it's only beneficial for understanding the material and to read a few required chapters. The biochemistry book is required. It is around $100. For the elective courses, I am not sure.

Philadelphia for me!

Hey everyone,

Hey I have recently been accepted and would like to know the specific books for each class so I can begin reviewing the material. Would you be kind enough to post the ISBN and title for each text book for the first semester / year?! PM if you are interested in selling your old books! Thanks.

Hey I have recently been accepted and would like to know the specific books for each class so I can begin reviewing the material. Would you be kind enough to post the ISBN and title for each text book for the first semester / year?! PM if you are interested in selling your old books! Thanks.
Just replied to your PM.

There are many people in the program that are not from Florida.

Hi,

I was accepted to the two-year track. I was wondering if I still have the option of completing the degree in one year?

Thanks!

Hi,

I was accepted to the two-year track. I was wondering if I still have the option of completing the degree in one year?

Thanks!
No, based on your academic record as well as weaknesses and strengths, the administration determines the track for each applicant.

No, based on your academic record as well as weaknesses and strengths, the administration determines the track for each applicant.

I want to apply to dental school this cycle; will it look bad if I only complete one year of the masters?

I want to apply to dental school this cycle; will it look bad if I only complete one year of the masters?

Not many students do this. Most of the students in the program complete the it prior to matriculating into medical/dental school. As far as if it would look bad, I do not know. You would have to contact the dental schools that you are interested in to see their opinion.

Not many students do this. Most of the students in the program complete the it prior to matriculating into medical/dental school. As far as if it would look bad, I do not know. You would have to contact the dental schools that you are interested in to see their opinion.

Thanks for the reply. Since the program is only 36 credits, wouldn't I be a part-time student if it took two years?

Thanks for the reply. Since the program is only 36 credits, wouldn't I be a part-time student if it took two years?

The two year program is designed for students to take 9 credits (full time in graduate school) per semester and take the summer off to prepare for the MCAT/DAT.

Feel free to ask any questions about the courses, books, tuition, etc. Hopefully I can help!

If you are unable to start the program in the Fall, you can apply for Spring admission, which begins in January 2016.

Why the only person who answers this thread has a username starts with "BMS?" How many people got accepted to dental school after completing Barry BMS?

Why the only person who answers this thread has a username starts with "BMS?" How many people got accepted to dental school after completing Barry BMS?
not sure why that "BMS" but there are plenty of people who got accepted from this, check their facebook page Dr. Chandra posted average DAT and GPA of accepted students and also they have list of schools that accepted barry students https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/about/dental-optometry-podiatry-veterinary.html#dental

I am applying to dental schools this current cycle. Should I think about applying for the 1 year masters just in case I have to re-apply next cycle? Is it too late to apply for this upcoming year?

do the dental and medical track students take the exact same core classes? From the required courses they are the same, is there a dental and medical version of each course or do dental and med track students take them together?

I am applying to dental schools this current cycle. Should I think about applying for the 1 year masters just in case I have to re-apply next cycle? Is it too late to apply for this upcoming year?

I am not sure if it is too late. You can still try applying for Fall but if it is too late, you will just be placed to start in the Spring. You can also try to apply for the 1 year program; however, the administration determines the track for you (e.g., 1 year, 18 months, 2 years).