Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters program Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied back in February but was missing a few documents. As of today my application is now being reviewed, best of luck to those waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied back in February but was missing a few documents. As of today my application is now being reviewed, best of luck to those waiting to hear back.
Fantastic! Congratulations! They are now reviewing all the applications, you should hear soon, are you from florida ?

Fantastic! Congratulations! They are now reviewing all the applications, you should hear soon, are you from florida ?
Yes, the lake worth area. Although I have been a year out of school and run a business in NJ 60% of my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the lake worth area. Although I have been a year out of school and run a business in NJ 60% of my time.
That's awesome! if you get accepted you gonna have to come down here to live closer to Barry lots of nice complexes around here

1. How long is the program? When does it start and end?
It depends on the track that you get accepted in. I did the 2 year program. Started in August 2014 and graduate in May 2016.

2. What are the benefits of this program compared to other programs that offer MBS?
This program truly prepares your for dental school/medical school. I have learned an entirely new way to study and can retain information that I will need in professional school. I can only speak for this program, but I do know that the curriculum is very similar to that of many professional schools.

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
Exams are every so often. Most classes have 3 exams some have 4 and they're very spread out. If there is a week where you have multiple exams, the professors are very understanding and often move the exams.

4. What is the hardest class? Why?
The hardest class in my opinion was Gross Anatomy but only because it was purely a course with a lot of information and anatomy is strictly memorization. Some other courses are only hard because of the exams being different than what students are used to.

5. What is the easiest class? Why?
The easiest class are usually the electives (Health Law and Ethics, or Immunology etc.). These classes are interesting but also good for future practitioners.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
Most of the time it is all from Powerpoints by teachers, or Lecture Packets they post on the site. Some require textbooks but only if they're the actual author of the book.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
They are both. Personally, I prefer an actual book, but ill often have the pdf version on hand just in case. They are usually easy to find online.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
Grading system is letter grades.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
Its definitely the culture where everyone helps each other out. You have multiple teaching assistants and they offer Student Ambassadors to help with study skills as well.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
Most teachers, if not all will record their lectures using Lecture Capture, so if you miss a lecture you can usually watch it online.

11. Is class attendance mandatory? How many hours of lecture/assisting per week?
Attendance is not mandatory but it also depends on the course. Some teachers take attendance for points but its entirely up to you to show up. In a graduate program, you are adults so its really up to you to attend and do well. It depends on the class as to how long. Two days a week are most classes and some are only one.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
All teachers are very approachable. They are always willing to help you.

13. What is the drop out rate?
I honestly have no idea. I know that if you get 2 C's you cannot graduate.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? If yes, what are they?
There are Teaching Assistants for the classes as well as Student Ambassadors to help students who are struggling.

15. How difficult was it to get a 4.0?
You definitely need to put forth the effort because its not an easy 4.0. Studying is definitely very important.

16. What are some characteristics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?
Probably that they are always studying or involved in the program some way or another.

17. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
Most people study on campus, some go to NSU library or main campus, and some study at home on their own. It depends on the student and their preference.

18. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
Yes. Everyone is very social in the program.

19. What are your opinions on the location of the school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
Its an okay area, but finding housing is not really an issue.

20. What do you not like about your program?
I honestly do not have any complaints about the program at all.

21. If you had to do it over again, would you choose this post-bacc program?
100%.
21. Any last words or advice?
This program is definitely looked at by many schools and is well worth it. I couldn't be more prepared for professional school.
Thank you!

I was accepted into the dental track for this coming fall. If anyone else accepted needs a roommate, let me know!

Also, as far as part time jobs go, how many students typically hold a part time job while enrolled in the 2 yr program? And what are the most common side jobs held while enrolled?
I'm a BMS Alumni I'm currently looking for a roommate the roommate I currently have got into dental school so is moving out next month. I live in monarch lakes townhouse in a gated community which is in west Miramar about 15-20mins from Barry(the nicer part of the city). Im looking for any females who need a place to live especially the upcoming class please send them my way. I have pics and all they would have their own room, bathroom and walk in closet. contact me at [email protected]

I'm a BMS Alumni I'm currently looking for a roommate the roommate I currently have got into dental school so is moving out next month. I live in monarch lakes townhouse in a gated community which is in west Miramar about 15-20mins from Barry(the nicer part of the city). Im looking for any females who need a place to live especially the upcoming class please send them my way. I have pics and all they would have their own room, bathroom and walk in closet. contact me at [email protected]
Congratulations! so you will be going to NOVA ?

Hello and thank you for all the valuable information. Do you think its too late to apply for fall 16 and what are they really looking at for admissions?
I have a non science bachelors degree and a 3.3 science gpa. DAT 19,
I applied to dental schools late oct last cycle with one interview and didn't quite make it. I'm retaking my dat by June 1st. However, I have just heard of this program. What are your thoughts and can I still get into their fall program?
Would highly appreciate your advice.
I also have the same stats , I already applied for Barry but no response yet my application is pending now, I heard this year they are taking 75 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you hear back from them soon. Do you know if they accept letters of rec from dental schools? Can I use the same ones? And is it through Interfolio?

I also have the same stats , I already applied for Barry but no response yet my application is pending now, I heard this year they are taking 75 students.
It is actually more this year, it is anything between 85-90 , 45 med 45 dental

when is the dead line for submitting application ?

when is the dead line for submitting application ?
They still accept applications I wouldn't wait for the last minute though, the earlier you apply the better chance of getting accepted you will have.

What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

so im not sure about this but i heard this happens a lot , Are classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

so im not sure about this but i heard this happens a lot , Are classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

It is very supportative nature. I have not seen sabotage in the program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You definitely need to put forth the effort because its not an easy 4.0. Studying is definitely very important.

is there a fb group for accepted barry mbs 2016 students ?

What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

So Ifar u do well on ur first semester...is it possible to get accepted to a dental school and not take 2nd semester?
Yes absolutely! every year there a few students who get accepted some where and they leave the program half way or only one semester over, however this means that they must have had a strong under grad stats and some better DAT!

Me and got accepted Yesterday!!! We are coming for sure? When does the classes start because im taking summer classes right now. Im worried that my classes will not end before the semester starts? WHAT ABOUT THESE REFUND CHECKS THOUGH! Do people need jobs for the standard of living? Does anyone know any information about provision acceptances? Also, housing?

Me and got accepted Yesterday!!! We are coming for sure? When does the classes start because im taking summer classes right now. Im worried that my classes will not end before the semester starts? WHAT ABOUT THESE REFUND CHECKS THOUGH! Do people need jobs for the standard of living? Does anyone know any information about provision acceptances? Also, housing?
Class

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

Classes start 8/22 I believe

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

what classes do you recommend taking for our first semester?
Most newbies take Gross Anatomy, Health Law & Ethics, and Biochemistry I for Fall semester. If you got accepted as 2 year track, they would place you in Gross Anatomy and Health Law & Ethics. Hope this helps.

Most newbies take Gross Anatomy, Health Law & Ethics, and Biochemistry I for Fall semester. If you got accepted as 2 year track, they would place you in Gross Anatomy and Health Law & Ethics. Hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, how many credits is that?
I'm trying to figure out how many grad course credits i should have under my belt before doing the academic update through AADSAS!

Hey guys, Im really wondering about loans. Do the current students typically survive off the government student loans provided by fafsa, or do students take out private loans? Im looking for apartments, what do you typically spend on rent living in hollywood?

Hey guys, Im really wondering about loans. Do the current students typically survive off the government student loans provided by fafsa, or do students take out private loans? Im looking for apartments, what do you typically spend on rent living in hollywood?
So basically the loans are enough to survive as a student. They will cover the rent tuition things like that and very important essentials and you def feel you are on a budget but if you manage you can definitely survive. However if you need a new car or like major financial needs you gonna have to rely on family or work.

Wat classes everyone taking this fall smester?
That really depends on a lot of factors, each student is different, but typically for first timers Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry or Health law and ethics , students always change their classes as well if they feel they need to take some different course

My undergraduate gpa is not high at all but I am doing well in the program and am headed to Dental School in the fall. You learn how to study better in this program and you have a better appreciation for your studies since this is truly the last thing you can do to gain acceptance. I also applied to Dental School 4 times so don't give up! this program definitely is worth it.

That's inspiration! Do you know if you have to already have taken the DAT to be admitted to this program? Or can I hold off and not take it. Do I have to be rejected from a dental school?

Hey everyone,

I just got accepted earlier this week for the fall semester. I am a Male from Seattle, Washington and am looking for a roommate. Ideally, I want to find a place within 10 minutes from campus. Please private message me if you need a roommate. Thanks!

Do you guys know if for Direct Plus Loans we can process it through federal student aid, or does Barry University have their own Direct Plus Loan process?