Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters program Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys know if for Direct Plus Loans we can process it through federal student aid, or does Barry University have their own Direct Plus Loan process?
Its all through FAFSA you have to start from there.

Its all through FAFSA you have to start from there.

Ok, just making sure. Thanks. Also, did you attend orientation? I might not be able to attend. Do you think orientation was very helpful? Or will I be fine if I do not attend? I emailed Pamela, and she said they certainly want everyone to attend, but of course they realize it doesn't work for some students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, just making sure. Thanks. Also, did you attend orientation? I might not be able to attend. Do you think orientation was very helpful? Or will I be fine if I do not attend? I emailed Pamela, and she said they certainly want everyone to attend, but of course they realize it doesn't work for some students.
You don't want to miss orientation under no cost! it is probably the most important meeting before the most important journey of your academics starts. You want to get to know your professors program director friends etc.

So I just received my acceptance letter yesterday (applied pretty late) and I was wondering if anyone knows the area well enough to help me out with finding a place to live. I'm living in New Orleans, LA so I'm no where close enough to check everything out and I'm pretty limited on time. I'm looking for something pretty cheap but close enough to the Hollywood campus. I looked into graduate housing but it seems like it may be too far to drive from the Miami shores campus considering I don't know what traffic is like there. Also if anyone's looking for a roommate I'm in that boat right now!

So I just received my acceptance letter yesterday (applied pretty late) and I was wondering if anyone knows the area well enough to help me out with finding a place to live. I'm living in New Orleans, LA so I'm no where close enough to check everything out and I'm pretty limited on time. I'm looking for something pretty cheap but close enough to the Hollywood campus. I looked into graduate housing but it seems like it may be too far to drive from the Miami shores campus considering I don't know what traffic is like there. Also if anyone's looking for a roommate I'm in that boat right now!
Check Emerald hills places great community reasonable prices

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone receive their award letter yet? If u did, did your aid cover most of the tuition?
It is still too early for financial aid awards, you are typically approved but the money comes in about second week of starting the classes. and yes it should cover your cost of livings and tuition

Hey guys. Are students allowed to visit home during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring and Summer break? When does the DAT prepprogram start and end in summer and do you know who runs the course? Thanks.

Hey guys. Are students allowed to visit home during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring and Summer break? When does the DAT prepprogram start and end in summer and do you know who runs the course? Thanks.
Of course they are! you are allowed to travel any time you wish to, the only thing is that you should plan ahead of time and don't miss your classes or important dates for exams. DAT course is offered by an individual company which is separate from Barry but works close with students. You will get those info once you start classes in August

Thanks! I'm doing the 18 month ( 3 semester track) not sure if that makes a difference.

Any recommendations on what apartments complexes to live in that range between $1200-1300? I've research most near Hollywood campus and most of them have terrible reviews!

Is there any type of dress code?
No dress code whatsoever. When I spoke to Pamela she said all they require is that we dress appropriately. Examples men: they don't want you wearing the muscle shirts that expose tits and chest area. And females no boobs hanging out or clevage showing. But she said they are very lenient on dress code

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did u accept your award letter
So Basically Barry will send you an email or might call to tell you that you need to complete your entrance counseling and master promissory note. Once that has been done, it sends your completion confirmation to Barry financial aid, that means you have officially accepted the loans. They will most likely send an email with the link as to where you complete the counseling.

So I completed everything including the counseling....so I dont have to do take any further action?
No further action is needed unless you need to take out extra loans if the amount they awarded you isnt enough to cover your cost of attendance. Have you received your class schedule yet?

Just got an email from them and I have received 17.5k for each semster. Is that too much lol?
lol your award is definitely higher than mine. I think everyone case is different and depends on alot of factors. I am originally from south Florida and I live with my parents and will be commuting. Now if you got housing on or off campus maybe that's why its a little high.

Wait so if I got the loan...shouldn't i be getting the money in my bank account? Do you know how this process works?
wait im confused. but i do know the money gets applied to your classes first then whatever is left over is what you get in your bank account as a refund. and yes i do know how this process works

Does anyone know if seats are still available for the upcoming fall 2016 semester? I submitted my application a while back (before the June 1st priority date); however, I wasn't able to take the GRE until early July. Sent my scores in and now I'm just waiting to hear back. Seriously hoping that I gain admissions for the upcoming fall semester!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if seats are still available for the upcoming fall 2016 semester? I submitted my application a while back (before the June 1st priority date); however, I wasn't able to take the GRE until early July. Sent my scores in and now I'm just waiting to hear back. Seriously hoping that I gain admissions for the upcoming fall semester!
You should call them and ask to speak with Pamela Johnson, she should be able to help you.

You should call them and ask to speak with Pamela Johnson, she should be able to help you.
Just received notification of my acceptance! Congratulations to everyone else who got in! I'm so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Was also accepted today! Congrats to everyone who got in! Currently looking for a male roommate/roommates. Message me, if you are also looking.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone care to share any insight regarding what they've found thus far relating to housing? I've been looking all over (online). I checked out the list that was sent out, but the only place I plan on checking out is Park Colony due to its proximity to campus (2.5 miles). I'm not looking to spend anymore than $1,500 a month for rent. That being said, I kinda had to branch out a bit. Most of the places that I've found were in Pembroke which is about 10miles west of campus. All of these were 1bdrm/1bathroom averaging 700-800sq ft. I plan on traveling down there this upcoming weekend to check out apartments.

I recently joined the 2016 class as well, and am currently also looking for a roomate. If anyone is still looking around for housing options/a roomate, let me know! I hope people are still looking even though I'm late to the game.

Is it true that the biochemistry class is not on the hollywood campus and held somewhere else

Is it true that the biochemistry class is not on the hollywood campus and held somewhere else

All the classes are on hollywood campus for Both med and dental tract. If youre doing research then you have some classes on main campus.

When you're applying to med/dental school it easy to get a letter of rec from teachers and are all the electives easier in comparison to required classes

Hey can someone who is on the premed track or who already graduated tell what the acceptance rate is for medical schools and what are the tops schools that accept students from this program? It seems like this program is only beneficial for pre-dental students.

Hey can someone who is on the premed track or who already graduated tell what the acceptance rate is for medical schools and what are the tops schools that accept students from this program? It seems like this program is only beneficial for pre-dental students.
I'm on the premed track and will graduate this fall, applying this upcoming cycle. Over 50 pre-dental students and over 40 pre-medical students have been accepted for this year's cycle so far. In regards to med schools, people have been accepted from schools such as NSU, Arizona State University, University of Miami, Touro, Lincoln Memorial University, University of Vermont, Liberty University, Tufts University, University of Central Florida, just to name some.

I'm on the premed track and will graduate this fall, applying this upcoming cycle. Over 50 pre-dental students and over 40 pre-medical students have been accepted for this year's cycle so far. In regards to med schools, people have been accepted from schools such as NSU, Arizona State University, University of Miami, Touro, Lincoln Memorial University, University of Vermont, Liberty University, Tufts University, University of Central Florida, just to name some.
Thank you!! If you don't mind can you update me after you apply for med schools and tell me which ones accepted you. I know the med schools I would like to go to but I fear that they may look down on programs like this. idk

Hello, for those currently in the program. Are you still able to choose your track? According to the website the track is chosen for you. However, students that posted in another thread in 2015 said they were able to choose. Has this changed?

Thank you!

Hello, for those currently in the program. Are you still able to choose your track? According to the website the track is chosen for you. However, students that posted in another thread in 2015 said they were able to choose. Has this changed?

Thank you!

You can choose your own track. I was originally accepted on a 2 year track but wanted to finish in 18 months. I've been able to do that without issue and will graduate this semester. You choose the track that you think is the best pace for you where you can still do well academically.

Hi everyone, I'm a current student please let me know if I could help with any information or questions. :)
What kind of credentials did you have when you got accepted into the master's program? (Undergrad GPA, DAT, etc) also what are the requirements needed to get accepted? How many students do they accept? Currently at a 3.0 in undergrad not feeling too hopeful at them moment :(

Thanks so much. Do you think the 12 month is do-able? About how many classes do people take in each semester on that track do you know?

I think 12 months is doable but it's a lot of work ... you'll be studying intensely for that year. People who do the program in 12 months end up taking about 15 credits in the fall and spring and one class in the summer. Depending on what classes you take (for ex: gross anatomy and physiology are 6 credit courses with lecture and lab), that would be about 3-4 classes each semester. 9 credits is considered full-time in our grad program.

Honestly, most people in the program do it in 2 years. You want to get A's especially if you're on the med track but def have a GPA of 3.5 or better. I'd recommend 18 months for a little more rigor or 2 years.

I think 12 months is doable but it's a lot of work ... you'll be studying intensely for that year. People who do the program in 12 months end up taking about 15 credits in the fall and spring and one class in the summer. Depending on what classes you take (for ex: gross anatomy and physiology are 6 credit courses with lecture and lab), that would be about 3-4 classes each semester. 9 credits is considered full-time in our grad program.

Honestly, most people in the program do it in 2 years. You want to get A's especially if you're on the med track but def have a GPA of 3.5 or better. I'd recommend 18 months for a little more rigor or 2 years.

Thank you that's very helpful! 15 credits is a lot for one semester in graduate school. So if I get in it looks like 18 months would be my preference. How many classes did you take a semester on the 18 month track? Also, did you do any thing extra such as work, volunteering, shadowing, etc while in the program and still felt you were able to do well?

What kind of credentials did you have when you got accepted into the master's program? (Undergrad GPA, DAT, etc) also what are the requirements needed to get accepted? How many students do they accept? Currently at a 3.0 in undergrad not feeling too hopeful at them moment :(
If you don't mind me chiming in, quite a number of people have been accepted with a 3.0 GPA and even a little below that. For the Fall 2016 semester, about 100 people were accepted.

Thank you that's very helpful! 15 credits is a lot for one semester in graduate school. So if I get in it looks like 18 months would be my preference. How many classes did you take a semester on the 18 month track? Also, did you do any thing extra such as work, volunteering, shadowing, etc while in the program and still felt you were able to do well?

No problem :) I've been full-time throughout the program. I took 9 credits my first semester, then took a 4 credit class over the summer, 12 credits the following semester and now taking 9 credits in my last semester. I'm doing well in the program and have had time to shadow and volunteer (at homeless shelters and through the BMS society at Barry). It's definitely doable and I'm so excited to be finishing lol and apply to schools this summer.

If you don't mind me chiming in, quite a number of people have been accepted with a 3.0 GPA and even a little below that. For the Fall 2016 semester, about 100 people were accepted.

I've also heard of people getting in with a GPA below a 3.0. It doesn't hurt to apply. They accept around 100+ in the fall and 50+ in the spring. I have also heard of people starting in the summer (around 10 or so).

No problem :) I've been full-time throughout the program. I took 9 credits my first semester, then took a 4 credit class over the summer, 12 credits the following semester and now taking 9 credits in my last semester. I'm doing well in the program and have had time to shadow and volunteer (at homeless shelters and through the BMS society at Barry). It's definitely doable and I'm so excited to be finishing lol and apply to schools this summer.

Thanks you have been very helpful!! :)

A lot of people have mentioned learning new study habits in this thread. Is there a class to teach you how to study and manage your time? I know some other programs focus on that. How does Barry compare to Nova's BMS program? I know they guarantee an interview if you do well in their program.