Barry University MBS vs. Rutgers University MBS Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drtk12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So a little background information. I applied to dental school for the past two schools and did not get accepted to any programs. My oGPA is 3.19 (not sure about my science, but around that as well). I took the DAT twice and scored 19 both times. So, I have decided that I will pursue a master's program to help me boost my application and be more competitive. Well, I got accepted into Barry University's MBS program for Fall 2020 on the 2-year dental track AND Rutgers MBS program for Fall 2020. I am awaiting on Nova Southeastern and Meharry Medical College. But for now, between Rutgers and Barry, which program is better? I'm leaning towards Rutgers because they also have a dental program, but the matriculation into their program is around 50% I believe. I have a 4-year-old son and live in LA currently so either way, it'll be out of state for me. Anyone with any insight on either program would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I recently applied to the Rutgers program as well. How long did it take you to receive an acceptance after you submitted your application??

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I got the email that they received my application on 4/24 and the acceptance email on 5/11. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I recently applied to the Rutgers program as well. How long did it take you to receive an acceptance after you submitted your application??
Hi! I got the email that they received my application on 4/24 and the acceptance email on 5/11. Good luck!

Just received my acceptance yesterday! Hope to see you in the fall!

Awesome! Congratulations! Do you know if they’re going to do in person lectures with everything going on?

Thank you! I was told that they are planning to resume in-person lectures in the fall but are giving students the option to complete the semester online if they would prefer.

Thank you! I was told that they are planning to resume in-person lectures in the fall but are giving students the option to complete the semester online if they would prefer.

What about the research criteria?

Hey guys!

I have recently been accepted to Rutgers MBS program for Fall 2020. Just wondering, has anyone been accepted to medical school after completing the MBS program? If so, would you mind stating your stats (Undergrad GPA, Grad GPA, MCAT score). I could not find another thread on this topic. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Recently applied to Rutgers as well. Good luck to everyone else applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I have recently been accepted to Rutgers MBS program for Fall 2020. Just wondering, has anyone been accepted to medical school after completing the MBS program? If so, would you mind stating your stats (Undergrad GPA, Grad GPA, MCAT score). I could not find another thread on this topic. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
Congratulations! Sorry, I don’t know anyone who matriculates through this program. I was wondering the same, but for the dental track.

Thank you, same to you friend! I am hoping to get accepted to the dental scholars track. Hbu?
Actually just read up and saw that you were accepted lol, congratulations! :)

Hi everyone, I recently completed the MBS dental track program. If you have any questions about the program I may be able to help!

Hi everyone, I recently completed the MBS dental track program. If you have any questions about the program I may be able to help!
hey was it at barry or rutgers? i applied to both so a little insight on the program would be great :)

hey was it at barry or rutgers? i applied to both so a little insight on the program would be great :)

I guess I didn't specify which program I was in! I went to Rutgers mainly because I wanted to complete the program in one year- 2 semesters ( they typically recommend you do it in 3 semesters). I was also able to take 2 first dental school courses with dental students. I think it was a great program and a great foundation for professional school.

I guess I didn't specify which program I was in! I went to Rutgers mainly because I wanted to complete the program in one year- 2 semesters ( they typically recommend you do it in 3 semesters). I was also able to take 2 first dental school courses with dental students. I think it was a great program and a great foundation for professional school.
Hey! Thanks for the info! I’m planning finishing in a year as well. I’ll be starting in the Fall.
Did you get into a dental program this cycle? How was the app process?
How realistic is it to maintain the 3.7 GPA for Rutgers dental program?
Were your classmates/professors helpful? I’m from OOS and won’t know anyone from there, so I’d like to build a support system there as well.
Thanks for any/all advice!!!

Hey! Thanks for the info! I’m planning finishing in a year as well. I’ll be starting in the Fall.
Did you get into a dental program this cycle? How was the app process?
How realistic is it to maintain the 3.7 GPA for Rutgers dental program?
Were your classmates/professors helpful? I’m from OOS and won’t know anyone from there, so I’d like to build a support system there as well.
Thanks for any/all advice!!!

Congrats on your acceptance! Yes I got into dental school :)
You will have to contact the school you are applying to figure out how they will assess your application if you are applying this cycle.
Some school want to see grades from 20 credits, others might wait till you have grades from one semester. This also depends on how strong your application is without your masters degree.

My classmates were super nice so it's easy to make friends but I'm not much for group study I prefer to study on my own. If we had any questions we would ask each other. The professor were also really nice but of course I can't speak of all professor just the courses I took.

Yes, I was able to get a GPA better than 3.7, you just have to study. If you are doing it in a year, you have to have the mindset that you cannot repeat a course, if that helps/ makes sense!

I'm also OOS but i'm sure you have looked up what Newark is like. I didn't explore much of it and I will leave it at that lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind sharing your undergrad/DAT stats?
Did you use the advising a lot? I did the open house for accepted students and they heavily promoted this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give general GPA/DAT because I don't want to come off as "that person on SDN" GPA > 3.5 and DAT >20.

Yes I took advice on courses to take in the first semester (because I knew no one yet) and there was push back from the advisor because I wanted to complete the program in 2 semesters instead of the 3 they highly recommend! In the second semester, I asked the people in my class instead.

Lol be proud of your stats!! With those stats I would think you wouldn’t need the MBS.

I needed a refresher :)

Lol well congrats on your acceptance into dental school and GOOD LUCK! Thanks for the info!

Lol well congrats on your acceptance into dental school and GOOD LUCK! Thanks for the info!

Thank you! Good luck in your program!!!

For people who got accepted, did you all get an email or did you have to check your application via the portal?

For people who got accepted, did you all get an email or did you have to check your application via the portal?

I received an email.

Congrats on your acceptance! Yes I got into dental school :)
You will have to contact the school you are applying to figure out how they will assess your application if you are applying this cycle.
Some school want to see grades from 20 credits, others might wait till you have grades from one semester. This also depends on how strong your application is without your masters degree.

My classmates were super nice so it's easy to make friends but I'm not much for group study I prefer to study on my own. If we had any questions we would ask each other. The professor were also really nice but of course I can't speak of all professor just the courses I took.

Yes, I was able to get a GPA better than 3.7, you just have to study. If you are doing it in a year, you have to have the mindset that you cannot repeat a course, if that helps/ makes sense!

I'm also OOS but i'm sure you have looked up what Newark is like. I didn't explore much of it and I will leave it at that lol
I just got accepted into the program, but i am a little hesitant whether i should accept or not. I am still waiting on other programs to get back to me.

how did you feel about the professors/faculty? did you feel that they were supportive? pros/cons to the program? what did you do for the research portion? advice on which classes to take? TIA! and also congrats on your acceptance to dental school! where did you get accepted to if you don't mind me asking

I just got accepted into the program, but i am a little hesitant whether i should accept or not. I am still waiting on other programs to get back to me.

how did you feel about the professors/faculty? did you feel that they were supportive? pros/cons to the program? what did you do for the research portion? advice on which classes to take? TIA! and also congrats on your acceptance to dental school! where did you get accepted to if you don't mind me asking

Congrats on your acceptance!

Like I said before, it's a great program and the other students and professors for the courses I took are helpful! I don't know what other programs you have applied to but you should consider things that of importance to you. For example, how helpful the program is for dental/ medical school, cost, reputation of the course/ program. The only con I would say is the location but it can also be a pro as there are less distractions.

Feel free to PM me, and that goes for anyone else who has questions about the program!

Just got my acceptance today waiting to see how they are going to do classes. Like remote or on campus and stuff.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Like I said before, it's a great program and the other students and professors for the courses I took are helpful! I don't know what other programs you have applied to but you should consider things that of importance to you. For example, how helpful the program is for dental/ medical school, cost, reputation of the course/ program. The only con I would say is the location but it can also be a pro as there are less distractions.

Feel free to PM me, and that goes for anyone else who has questions about the program!

I PMed you tdental.

Did everyone who got accepted have their DAT scores in already? I applied a few months back for this fall and will be taking the DAT next week so I am assuming they are waiting for my DAT scores before giving me a decision?

Did everyone who got accepted have their DAT scores in already? I applied a few months back for this fall and will be taking the DAT next week so I am assuming they are waiting for my DAT scores before giving me a decision?
If you don't have your DAT score yet, then you have to request them to look at your application for conditional acceptance. Their website states "... upon request, we will review applications of students who have not yet taken any of these tests. For these applicants, based on a review of their other credentials, we may either (a) make an offer of admission without a standardized test requirement, or (b) make a conditional offer of admission that will be contingent on a satisfactory test score." So I recommend that you email them at [email protected] and let them know that you're taking your DAT soon. That way, they can look at your application right now and possibly give you an offer! Good Luck!

Did you happen to take summer sessions? I know that it is an option for students in the program but I was wondering if taking 2 courses in one summer session would be possible? Or do people usually only take one class?

Did you happen to take summer sessions? I know that it is an option for students in the program but I was wondering if taking 2 courses in one summer session would be possible? Or do people usually only take one class?

No, I didn't take the summer session and I'm familiar with how many courses people take in the summer semester. You would want to speak with your advisor about that!

I was accepted to the program for FALL 2021. Im on the medical scholars track. Does any one have any feedback on easy courses to take?