basic credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the "basic credentials" for getting into medical school? I've heard a 3.7 GPA, 33 MCAT, volunteering at a hospital, and doing research. Are these myths, exaggerations, or right on mark? For the GPA, does it matter which school you attend? I go to Carleton College, and a 3.7 is looking pretty infeasible.

Members don't see this ad.

With those particular numbers and figures, one can be reasonably assured of an acceptance at a US allopathic school.

you DO NOT need a 33 and 3.7 to get into med school. Check out mdapplicants... a huge range of peeps get in.

volunteering is a must though

Members don't see this ad :)
National average for allopathic matriculants is ~30 and a 3.65.
You can judge how accurate your numbers are from that.

Shoot for 30 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, a good amount of clinical and all around volunteering. A little bit of research.

Your list of stats & accomplishments would almost certainly get one in somewhere (as long as the person wrote decent essays and didn't come across as psycho in interviews, of course), but plenty of people get in with lower grades or scores, no hospital volunteering, or no research.

You can only get the best grades you can get. Try your hardest while maintaining some kind of quality of life, do some meaningful extras outside of school, study diligently for the MCAT, apply to a range of schools when the time comes, and don't worry that if you have less than a 3.7 you're out of the running. it's not true.

Medikit said:
Shoot for 30 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, a good amount of clinical and all around volunteering. A little bit of research.
Shoot for a 4.0 and a 40, but rest assured that you're in good shape with less than that. ;)

wjin06 said:
I go to Carleton College, and a 3.7 is looking pretty infeasible.

No kidding. A 3.7 from that school means absolutely wigged out crazy academic. All nighters every night. If only more people realized...

I like the "aim for a 3.6."

Hey, just do your best. Don't forget to get your clinical experience at the Nfld hospital! :D

what would be like the minimum gpa? Also, in terms of volunteering, I love it, but I'm having trouble figuring out what a good balance between that and academics is. Currently, I'm volunteering at the hospital and tutoring once a week. Is this too much or not enough..?

wjin06 said:
what would be like the minimum gpa? Also, in terms of volunteering, I love it, but I'm having trouble figuring out what a good balance between that and academics is. Currently, I'm volunteering at the hospital and tutoring once a week. Is this too much or not enough..?
That's enough. It's not a matter of how much as much as what you're getting out of it.