Basic Endocrinology Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnfifn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good book that explains the basics of endocrinology with medical students in mind (something like how the immune system works by Lauren Sompayrac). I know endocrine is very hard and unfortunatley it is not taught well at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally thought that BRS was great. Costanzo text if you want more. I don't know of any endocrine-specific books (like the West book for pulmonary or Vander's for renal) geared toward med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first entire week is on diabetes. I was thinking of reading Dibates for dummies. Thoughts?

Endo is hard. And our school it not taught well and the final is hard. So any help is appreciated.

Does your school provide Access Medicine? It has Greenspan's Basic and Clinical Endocrinology. I don't know how good it is.

I don't know if you'll need more than Costanzo/BRS though.

There's a small book by Lange called 'Endocrine Physiology.' It is excellent and easy to read.

There's a small book by Lange called 'Endocrine Physiology.' It is excellent and easy to read.
I checked out Lange. I didn't really like it. Not a lot of figures or the ones that are present are not clear. Too much text which is very convoluted. I tried Harrison. Very detail. A prof recommended the following series (but she has not read the endocrine part):
http://www.amazon.com/Endocrine-System-Systems-Body/dp/0702033723/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Has anyone used this book? thoughts? thanks.

Costanzo physiology for sure- the same one mentioned by Kaushik. This text will also be very helpful for the other systems of phys. Not comprehensive, but it will give you the background necessary to understand your piece of crap lecture notes. Use BRS phys (same author with truncated version) from then on to memorize everything you need. Get the normal physiology down before learning the path. Good luck!