Basic Ophthalmology vs Wills manual for MS4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feyer Feyeter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 student currently doing a year of research, but looking to get a jump on my ophtho rotation coming up this spring. I've heard that Basic Ophtho and Wills are good texts for med students. Anyone have any experience with one or the other or any rec's for addition texts that I should read between now and then? Would it be worth reading both of them, or would my time be better served sticking to one and supplementing with something else? Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS4 that is just finishing up the application cycle. I am not sure what your level of ophthalmology knowledge is and I don't know anything about Basic Ophthalmology, but I have the following recommendations:

- For the beginner - www.ophthobook.com is a great broad stroke overview in simple, easy to understand language.

-For the rotator - Wills is a great book to have while rotating and to consult on those unusual cases. As for a book to help build clinical knowledge, it can be a little tricky if you aren't familiar with the lingo... i liken it to putting your mouth to a fire hydrant. Instead I would recommend reading Practical Ophthalmology: A Manual for the Beginning Resident, as this really nicely outlines the exam technique. A nice book for building up the clinical knowledge part would be Ophthalmology Review Manual Ed 2 by Dr. Chern, which is kind of like the Goljan of ophthalmology path. I tried reading Yanoff's Ophthalmology book which was good but very dense and time intensive... I might take another stab at it after I finish Dr. Chern's book.

I'm an MS4 student currently doing a year of research, but looking to get a jump on my ophtho rotation coming up this spring. I've heard that Basic Ophtho and Wills are good texts for med students. Anyone have any experience with one or the other or any rec's for addition texts that I should read between now and then? Would it be worth reading both of them, or would my time be better served sticking to one and supplementing with something else? Thanks in advance for any input.

I concur.

"Practical Ophthalmology: A Manual for Beginning Residents" is great if you're definitely doing Ophthalmology as a career but don't have any practical examination skills (which btw most medical students don't have since there is usually almost no exposure to Ophthalmology in med school). Beyond that, I would read up on the BASICS of the common problems seen in the clinic (e.g. diabetic retinopathy, cataract, macular degeneration, glaucoma, dry eye, retinal tears/detachment, ocular trauma stuff) in a text like Kanski or even the BCSC series (if you can borrow a copy).

I wouldn't worry about trying to know everything about Ophthalmology before your 1-month Ophtho rotation -- it just is not going to happen. No one is going to ask you about "Blau syndrome" or AMPPE for instance. I would work instead on your basic eye examination skills, e.g. checking visual acuity, checking intraocular pressure, pupil exam, basic slit-lamp exam, and hopefully seeing the fundus with indirect ophthalmoscopy.

What Ophtho residents hate the most is when a med student comes into the rotation, thinks he/she knows everything, and either tries to pimp the residents or makes the residents look bad in front of their attendings. Most residents also don't want to be slowed down by trying to explain everything to a med student. But at the same time, don't be a wallflower and fall asleep in the corner of the room. Selectively ask questions and show some enthusiasm.

It is much better just to be a pleasant, humble med student who helps out in clinic by doing some of the mundane tasks that residents don't want to do (e.g. taking an accurate but succint history, checking vision and pressure accurately). And then answering questions intelligently that are presented to them from the residents/fellows/attendings without coming off as an arrogant person. If you are a good public speaker, it also helps to volunteer to give a case presentation during Grand Rounds.

-OQ

Members don't see this ad :)
Practical Ophthalmology is the book of choice for a MS-4 rotation. Buy the older editions to save on cost. It has more then enough to prepare you for a one month rotation. Wills is too dense for a MS-4 rotation and basic ophthalmology is ok only if you have zero exposure. I agree that no one expects you to know intricate diagnoses and it can actually hurt you to act like you know too much. Residents are also training and if you try and show them up it won't help. Be motivated, punctual and engaged and you will do well.

Practical Ophthalmology is the book of choice for a MS-4 rotation. Buy the older editions to save on cost. It has more then enough to prepare you for a one month rotation. Wills is too dense for a MS-4 rotation and basic ophthalmology is ok only if you have zero exposure. I agree that no one expects you to know intricate diagnoses and it can actually hurt you to act like you know too much. Residents are also training and if you try and show them up it won't help. Be motivated, punctual and engaged and you will do well.
I agree with Practical Ophthalmology as the ideal text. Many current residents have a copy and probably are past the material now-they would be happy to lend or donate a copy. Wills is amazing for residency and certainly get a copy if your program does not provide one. The larger texts (Yanoff/Duker or Kanski) are way too much for an MS-4 (and expensive!).

I agree with Practical Ophthalmology as the ideal text. Many current residents have a copy and probably are past the material now-they would be happy to lend or donate a copy. Wills is amazing for residency and certainly get a copy if your program does not provide one. The larger texts (Yanoff/Duker or Kanski) are way too much for an MS-4 (and expensive!).

Make sure you check your school e-library. My school didn't have an ophthalmology department, but I had access to both Wills and Yanoff through the e-resources from my school's library.

Practical ophthalmology is good but it doesn't really teach you anything about ophthalmology other than examination techniques. If you want something to read for knowledge I would go with Basic Ophthalmology. I thought the book was perfect for medical student knowledge.

Will's Eye Manual wasn't useful to me really at all during the year. Also I thought that the ophthobook.com was way too superficial in content to be beneficial to a student pursuing ophtho as a career.