Basic PTEeXAM 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MERICA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The merits of this exam can be argued elsewhere, please. My department has paid for my exam. On my own time during my CA-3 year, I did around 200 intraoperative TEEs and took them up on the $800 dollar offer. To be honest, I wish I had done this earlier in residency, as it has been extremely helpful. I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions regarding a concise, yet comprehensive book that covers the material on the BASIC EXAM. Some of my colleagues have been suggested the following books, but they were from people who sat for the advanced exam. The test is in mid July, and I have the ability to dedicate a couple of weeks to study. I have already read through Perioperative 2D TEE by Vegas, but I am not sure that this covers all of the material on the exam. Input from basic test takers would be appreciated.

Board Stiff TEE: Transesophageal Echocardiography: ExpertConsult Online and Print, 2e
Apr 4, 2013
by Christopher Gallagher MD and John C Sciarra MD

Clinical Manual and Review of Transesophageal Echocardiography, Second Edition
Dec 28, 2010
by Joseph Mathew, Madhav Swaminathan and Chakib Ayoub

A Practical Approach to Transesophageal Echocardiography
Sep 3, 2013
by Albert C. Perrino Jr. MD and Scott T. Reeves MD MBA FACC

Members don't see this ad.

The material in any of those should be sufficient for the Basic exam. When I took it a few years ago, I used segments of Perrino and PTE Masters lectures, and passed. If you actually did 200 exams, and reviewed them with attendings, you should have enough of a knowledge base to be able to answer most questions on that exam.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

The results came back last week. For future test takers, I read the board stiff TEE book- which could easily be read in a couple of days. It was very basic and I wouldn't suggest this as a sole source, but if read before a TEE rotation, it would be a very helpful introduction. To solidify my knowledge, I read the Perino book in the weeks before the test. Together with performing the actual exams, these will get you a passing score.
If you read and study these books before you start performing the exams, you will get much more out of the exams and will do even better on the test.