Basic question about PGY-2 residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it's out there already, I'm sorry, but I searched and couldn't find a direct answer to my question.

I have an interest in radiology, and while examining the residency path it seems the first year is some variation of a pre-lim/intern year. My question is, if/when I apply for a radiology residency, do I apply directly to these programs as an MS4, or do I match into a pre-lim program first and then apply again as PGY-1?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You apply for a PGY2 spot as an MS4 and separately for prelim/intern spots

Reactions: 1 user
You apply for a PGY2 spot as an MS4 and separately for prelim/intern spots

Thanks. So these prelim spots aren't typically affiliated with the PGY2 residency? I would assume I match into the PGY2 spot, and then apply individually to the other programs after I match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. So these prelim spots aren't typically affiliated with the PGY2 residency? I would assume I match into the PGY2 spot, and then apply individually to the other programs after I match?
No you apply for both simultaneously. Some programs have linkages, some don't.

Many times people will apply for a prelim spot in an area that is convenient for them. Near their med school or family. They're not always affiliated, but you have to match both.

Many times people will apply for a prelim spot in an area that is convenient for them. Near their med school or family. They're not always affiliated, but you have to match both.

Thank you for the help. So, hypothetically, if I were to match one but not the other I'd be a bit SOL?

Thank you for the help. So, hypothetically, if I were to match one but not the other I'd be a bit SOL?
Yeah someone with more experience with the specialties that require prelim years would be better off giving advice, but it seems like if you matched into the specialty without the prelim year match then you could probably scramble into one. If you failed to match into your specialty then I guess you would try to find a different specialty that has openings that requires a prelim year and go straight in after intern or just re-apply and try to match altogether.

Yeah someone with more experience with the specialties that require prelim years would be better off giving advice, but it seems like if you matched into the specialty without the prelim year match then you could probably scramble into one. If you failed to match into your specialty then I guess you would try to find a different specialty that has openings that requires a prelim year and go straight in after intern or just re-apply and try to match altogether.

This is correct. If you match with an advanced program but not a prelim you must SOAP into a prelim spot. There are generally quite a few unmatched prelim surgery and prelim IM spots that go unfilled each match. If you are not able to get a prelim year, you lose your spot at the advanced program. Most advanced residencies require the prelim year to be either general surgery, IM, or a transitional year. In general, I think most people going into radiology, especially those with an interest in IR, tend to do a surgery prelim year. You essentially have two match lists, one for PGY-2 radiology programs and one for prelim programs.

Reactions: 1 users