Basic Research or Clinical Research ( Imaging )

Started by inty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inty

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning to pursue research after residency to get into cardiology fellowship. With that perspective I want to know whether doing basic research at a university program for 3 years would make me more competitive or doing one or two years of clinical research in Cardiac Imaging with a well known Cardiac Imaging specialist/academician.

I will greatly appreciate input of all program director, cardiology fellows and forum members watching this forum.
 
I am planning to pursue research after residency to get into cardiology fellowship. With that perspective I want to know whether doing basic research at a university program for 3 years would make me more competitive or doing one or two years of clinical research in Cardiac Imaging with a well known Cardiac Imaging specialist/academician.

I will greatly appreciate input of all program director, cardiology fellows and forum members watching this forum.

For some basic thoughts about the basic versus clinical research tracks for a physician scientist, you can read my post from the MD/PhD thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6661181&postcount=7

Essentially, you have to choose based upon your own personal interests. There is no easy decision here, and I sincerely doubt that anyone here can tell you anything substantial that should sway your opinion! Good luck.
 
Thank you Dr. Grendelsdragon. I understand that it depends on personal interests and I love both paths. However during fellowship selection process which one weighs more in terms of competitiveness ? As an attending who would you prefer ? Also years of research count more or the number and quality of publications?

I will appreciate your input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The greatest impact research will have with competitiveness in cardiology fellowship is with high impact first-author publication/s. Duration of research commitment is not inherently relevant. However, it usually takes at least 2 years to do quality 1st author work. The problem is that the longer you wait to start cardiology fellowship, the rustier your clinical skills will be. It's a delicate balance. Additionally, if your goal is private practice, I would not recommend any prolonged research commitment.

As for the clinical vs basic research, you are not going to get me to tell you! 😀
 
Do research with whomever you think can help you get in to fellowship. I would suggest the 1-2 years with the academic imaging person. He/she can presumably write you a letter of recommendation, and you could potentially get a publication(s) sooner. Too many pitfalls in basic research, and 3 years is a LONG time to be stuck in a lab if things don't work out, plus you have dug yourself into a hole in terms of being out of clinical medicine such a long time.