Basic? Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llamamaster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

OMS1 here. I just wanted to get some clarification on ACGME vs AOA residency in regard to current trends and post-merger changes.

1) What are the specific differences between ACGME vs AOA residencies besides the fact that AOA residencies accept DO’s. How is training different, etc...
2) Why should I as a DO, apply to both ACGME and AOA residencies when AOA residencies offer training in just about every specialty. Why do so many osteopathic students take the USMLE and apply ACGME? I’m assuming there must be major advantages to an ACGME residency since most match lists show majority of students attending AGME programs.
3) Will attending an AOA residency affect job opportunities or pursuing a fellowship?
4) Are there specific osteopathic fellowships in all specialities or at the fellowship level is it all run under one body?
5) Post-merger, are former AOA residency programs changing their curriculums to accomodate MD residents or will all residents still be taught with an emphasis in osteopathic practice (or an emphasis in whatever else is specific to osteopathic residencies)?
6) If there are significant differences in AOA vs ACGME residencies, will the merger attempt to force an equalization of the programs?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

6) If there are significant differences in AOA vs ACGME residencies, will the merger attempt to force an equalization of the programs?

Yes, that's one of the outcomes of this merger. Hence many AOA programs being shut down for not being able to meet the bare minimum ACGME standards. The ones that wanted to become ACGME accredited had to make sure they met the standards.

If you're a first year you won't have to worry about most of these questions. The merger is complete in 2020, so you will have only one match to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

OMS1 here. I just wanted to get some clarification on ACGME vs AOA residency in regard to current trends and post-merger changes.

1) What are the specific differences between ACGME vs AOA residencies besides the fact that AOA residencies accept DO’s. How is training different, etc...
2) Why should I as a DO, apply to both ACGME and AOA residencies when AOA residencies offer training in just about every specialty. Why do so many osteopathic students take the USMLE and apply ACGME? I’m assuming there must be major advantages to an ACGME residency since most match lists show majority of students attending AGME programs.
3) Will attending an AOA residency affect job opportunities or pursuing a fellowship?
4) Are there specific osteopathic fellowships in all specialities or at the fellowship level is it all run under one body?
5) Post-merger, are former AOA residency programs changing their curriculums to accomodate MD residents or will all residents still be taught with an emphasis in osteopathic practice (or an emphasis in whatever else is specific to osteopathic residencies)?

Thank you!!!
1) this won't be a thing anymore
2) ditto
3) ditto
4) No there aren't, but once again, they aren't separate as of 2020
5) Old AOA can choose to get Osteopathic recognition, but even if they do, the ones I have talked to say they will only force DO's to do OMM, and will not make the MD's learn it. This is first hand knowledge from when I talked to residency's about this last year at my schools hospital day.
6) It will.

Basically Osteopathic recognition is all that is left of the old AOA, and most of them are not choosing to do it (cause more money and extra curriculum).

Last edited:
2) ditto
3) ditto
5) Old AOA can choose to get Osteopathic recognition, but even if they do they will only force DO's to do OMM, and will not make the MD's learn it. This is first hand knowledge from when I talked to residency's about this last year at my schools hospital day.
6) It will.

Basically Osteopathic recognition is all that is left of the old AOA, and most of them are not choosing to do it (cause more money and extra curriculum).
Not entirely correct. Any program can apply for osteopathic recognition. Last numbers that were released by the ACGMe showed that well over 100 historically ACGMe programs have actually applied and gotten it. I go to kcu and I know that umkc (MD program) got it for their FM residency.

2) ditto
3) ditto
5) Old AOA can choose to get Osteopathic recognition, but even if they do they will only force DO's to do OMM, and will not make the MD's learn it. This is first hand knowledge from when I talked to residency's about this last year at my schools hospital day.
6) It will.

Not necessarily true. Our school is the opposite. All of our schools residencies will have Osteo recognition, and require MDs to complete a formal OMM course at our school PRIOR to being eligible to APPLY to our residencies. I am sure it is program dependent, but this is our institutions policy.

Reactions: 3 users
Not necessarily true. Our school is the opposite. All of our schools residencies will have Osteo recognition, and require MDs to complete a formal OMM course at our school PRIOR to being eligible to APPLY to our residencies. I am sure it is program dependent, but this is our institutions policy.

I chuckle every time I think about it.

Good on them. Its unfortunate that the programs in my OPTI haven't embraced that as well.

Last edited:
Not entirely correct. Any program can apply for osteopathic recognition. Last numbers that were released by the ACGMe showed that well over 100 historically ACGMe programs have actually applied and gotten it. I go to kcu and I know that umkc (MD program) got it for their FM residency.
good clarification. I was just thinking in the context of the question he was asking (about former AOA), but anyone can apply for it now. It seems that mainly primary care programs have for the most part tho.