Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Baylor and $$$

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by weathertalk, Mar 4, 2007.

1. weathertalk

Pre-Medical
    To anyone more familiar with Baylor than I am....

How generous is Baylor when it comes to financial aid for out of staters? Texans get a great deal and I'm jealous! Are all grants need based, or do they occasionally give them out to lure students as well?

Also... does anyone have any news on the new Baylor Hospital (the one they're planning on building)?

Also... regarding grades. I know that Baylor has honors/HP/P/marginal pass/Fail, but a thread from a few years ago said that students weren't explicitly ranked except for scholarship reasons. Is this the case? I'd rather not have to worry about my dean's letter saying "weathertalk is the 150th best person in a class of 170"

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats

Medical Student
    dude the place is pretty cheap for OOSers...

4. trevagandalf

Medical Student
    You can always apply for in state residency after a few years...

5. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making

Medical Student
    it's only pretty cheap when you compare it to other med schools. but realistically >20k a year is freakin' expensive and thus all med schools are expensive especially for ppl who went to college for free or went in state for about half of that. so yes it is relatively cheap but i am with the OP when he/she wonders about merit aid etc to save his/her pockets.

6. WhyIsThisSoHard

Pre-Medical
    If I remember correctly from my interview, I believe that OOS students apply for and are generally given a big scholarship for the first year, and then are elegible for resident status. But, I am not a Baylor student, so I'm not exactly an authority on the issue. Good luck!

7. weathertalk

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your replies. Baylor is about 25k if you include fees. While this is pretty cheap compared to the other schools I've gotten into, it's still not something my parents and I can pay out of pocket.

At any rate...

Anyone have info on the grading system? Honestly, the biggest thing holding me back about Baylor is that a ranking system+honors/high pass etc. seems to make the atmosphere less pleasant no matter what the school.

8. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats

Medical Student
    you do have grades, but that portion of the curriculum is only a year and a half...so less time to be stressed about it? Remember that preclinical grades are not extremely important.

9. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    The reason why Baylor was my first choice was because of the cost either in-state or oos. I wouldn't worry about it. 20K is still damn cheap for the quality of your education.

10. AZhopeful

AZhopeful Natural Killer Cell
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    The rankings DO exist, but they are completely unknown to the actual students. They're just used for AOA purposes; that's pretty much it.

(what i was told on my interview)

11. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making

Medical Student
    they also count for scholarships b/c according to some students on sdn keeping scholarship requires staying in the top % of the class.