Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReformNot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time for a new thread for the class of 2014. Here're the class threads from recent years:

Class of 2013
Class of 2012
Class of 2011
Class of 2010

BCM is an awesome school and I hope you will all enjoy the ride!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone knows whether it is true that the average USMLE step 1 score for BCM graduates is around 240+? That seems real high. If true, I wonder what they are doing differently from other schools? The averages at the other Texas schools are all around 220+ as far as I know.

Thanks for starting this!

BestofTX, I have heard that as well....as for what they're doing differently, there's definitely the fact that there's only 18months of preclinical, so I would assume you have some clinical experience before you take your Step ... maybe that accounts for some of it?

Speaking of, when do BCM students take Step I? If it's self-scheduled, when do most people do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone knows whether it is true that the average USMLE step 1 score for BCM graduates is around 240+? That seems real high. If true, I wonder what they are doing differently from other schools? The averages at the other Texas schools are all around 220+ as far as I know.

i've heard it was around 237-239. they have the 18 month pre-clinical curriculum, giving them the entire spring semester of MSII to do things like study step I or begin rotations....both of which give their students advantages on doing extraordinarily well on the step I over many other schools.

I was invited to their match day today and it was an absolutely amazing experience I must say. I must have talked to about 40+ graduating students and it seems so many of them are matching to their top choice. It seems everyone that I spoke to matched into a highly competitive field. No one that I spoke to was even remotely interested in any primary care field. I thought BCM ranks highly in primary care. How did that happen when their students are not going into primary care?

I was invited to their match day today and it was an absolutely amazing experience I must say. I must have talked to about 40+ graduating students and it seems so many of them are matching to their top choice. It seems everyone that I spoke to matched into a highly competitive field. No one that I spoke to was even remotely interested in any primary care field. I thought BCM ranks highly in primary care. How did that happen when their students are not going into primary care?

A fair number of folks are entering primary care. Here is an excerpt from the BCM match day story: "At BCM, 147 students matched. Of those, 59 students are entering primary care residency programs in the fields of family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine/pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology or emergency medicine."

A fair number of folks are entering primary care. Here is an excerpt from the BCM match day story: "At BCM, 147 students matched. Of those, 59 students are entering primary care residency programs in the fields of family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine/pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology or emergency medicine."

Thanks for the clarification. Congrats to everyone who matched!

With the housing market the way it is, do you think it is a good time to buy a condo before starting?

With the housing market the way it is, do you think it is a good time to buy a condo before starting?

The tax credit is still going on, but you have to be under contract and closed very soon.

As someone who just sold a home--I've decided I don't want to be doing that again before starting residency. So we've decided to rent a single-family home in West U.

There's new info on the BCM Class of 2014 page...including a tentative academic calendar and the tuition and fees schedule.

The tax credit is still going on, but you have to be under contract and closed very soon...

Thanks! Here is what I found on the IRS site regarding this topic:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204671,00.html

Under the new law, an eligible taxpayer must buy, or enter into a binding contract to buy, a principal residence on or before April 30, 2010 and close on the home by June 30, 2010. For qualifying purchases in 2010, taxpayers have the option of claiming the credit on either their 2009 or 2010 return.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted! about 99% sure i'll be coming here.

out of curiosity....how long after you get the phone call did you guys receive an acceptance in the mail with the paperwork? i got the call on the april 28th and i still haven't gotten anything in the mail and its now may 3rd. I live in AZ....so houston isn't next door, but it isn't exactly cross country either.

out of curiosity....how long after you get the phone call did you guys receive an acceptance in the mail with the paperwork? i got the call on the april 28th and i still haven't gotten anything in the mail and its now may 3rd. I live in AZ....so houston isn't next door, but it isn't exactly cross country either.

i got the call on the same day, and i haven't received anything via mail or email yet either -- and i live in houston. so don't fret! i called the admissions office on friday because my family doesn't believe me that i got in (cruel, right?) and the lady said they would have sent it out on thurs (the 29th) or friday (the 1st) and that it would prob take 3-5 days to get to you. hope that helps!

i got the call on the same day, and i haven't received anything via mail or email yet either -- and i live in houston. so don't fret! i called the admissions office on friday because my family doesn't believe me that i got in (cruel, right?) and the lady said they would have sent it out on thurs (the 29th) or friday (the 1st) and that it would prob take 3-5 days to get to you. hope that helps!

thank you! that is really helpful, actually. i was getting quite concerned. i even looked online and it said it should take 3 days to get something to me via USPS. so if it were sent out on thurs or fri, it should be here by now. hopefully i'll get it tomorrow. i'm 100% i got the call...i just want the paperwork already so i can put my deposit down and withdraw from my other schools lol.

also...please post when you get it in the mail. i just want to make sure i receive it in time so i can send in my deposit before the due date.

Congrats to everybody who has gotten in!!!! I'm an MS1 and I <3 BCM!

also...please post when you get it in the mail. i just want to make sure i receive it in time so i can send in my deposit before the due date.

i finally got my package in the mail yesterday! hopefully, you got urs too. i understadn the sentiment since may 15th is around the corner!

i finally got my package in the mail yesterday! hopefully, you got urs too. i understadn the sentiment since may 15th is around the corner!

thanks for letting me know! i was concerned it was lost in the mail. i got anxious though and called up BCM and they emailed me a copy of everything so i'm good to go.

Can anyone tell me if Baylor sent the acceptance letter/info to their preferred address, or do they send it to your permanent address?

btw, I'm super stoked to join the party!

Can anyone tell me if Baylor sent the acceptance letter/info to their preferred address, or do they send it to your permanent address?

btw, I'm super stoked to join the party!

my addresses are the same, but it took them a while to get me the letter. i got the call on the 28th of April but didn't get the acceptance stuff in the mail until this past Tuesday (so May 10th).

I'm guessing you need the deposit/acceptance info, so i would suggest calling up the admissions office or emailing melody at [email protected] and asking if they could scan/upload/email you a copy of that information (i had them do this for me) that way you can get your deposit check and such sent in on time.

congrats again, btw!

anyone looking for a roommate? :)

Is there some sort of list of suggested text books for incoming MS1's? I was searching the BCM website, but didn't find anything. Is everyone just waiting for the first week to buy books, stethescope, etc.?

Is there some sort of list of suggested text books for incoming MS1's? I was searching the BCM website, but didn't find anything. Is everyone just waiting for the first week to buy books, stethescope, etc.?

I would wait. You will get a list of books when school starts. Plus, you don't want to rush out and buy stuff that you may not use.

As far as doctor tools, there is an AMSA/AMA sale where the steths and other equipment are much cheaper than elsewhere and you don't pay tax. I would wait for that. Most people do.

PRN groups...unite!! As for me, I've got man-boobs (gyneKoreamastia)

Last edited:
.Trigeminal NeurAlgeria here... facial pain

best part is the blurb about one of the leaders:

. *Fun Fact: I am not fun.