Baylor has no ER rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nova

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I reading the SAEM website incorrectly? I can't find anything listed on Baylor's site or in the medical school guides I have, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does Baylor or does it not offer a rotation in Emergency Medicine? I hope it does, because that's my area of interest and I really like everything else about Baylor. It, Emory, and UVA (I'm Virginian, what can I say) are my top 3 picks right now. Followed closely by Mayo, UCSF, and UC Davis. Nah, I don't have high hopes. :rolleyes:

Nova

Members don't see this ad.

On 2nd thought, I KNOW that Baylor DOES have electives in EM.

I did a 4th year elective there last fall and distinctly remember looking at the list of electives and seeing EM on there (and considering it). I'll see if I can find the URL for the list of electives for ya.

PS. Despite mentioning SAEM, I assume you are asking about med school rotations and not residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor offers an elective in Surgical ER at Ben Taub. The link is from the Student Affairs page under Electives.

Hope this helps (I couldn't find any other EM rotation under Medicine etc.).

Thanks, Kimberli! It helps. I want to make sure I get in all the required courses, in between all the 'fun' ones I want to take in Philo and Psych. So it helps to make sure of at least some of the schools I want to attend!

The logical thing to do, of course, is to write Baylor asking for a copy of their catalog. The which I shall do as soon as the holidays are over.

Nova

Actually, I just spoke to a Baylor MS3 about this yesterday. Baylor has an EM elective at Methodist Hospital, not at the very busy county hospital, Ben Taub. And, there is no EM residency at Baylor -- apparently some old-school surgeon type is in charge of the ER at Ben Taub, and they follow sort of an old model in organizing it, so that it is only really staffed by surgery residents and IM residents. Kind of too bad because it's a really busy ER.

Originally posted by lilycat:
• -- apparently some old-school surgeon type is in charge of the ER at Ben Taub, and they follow sort of an old model in organizing it, so that it is only really staffed by surgery residents and IM residents. Kind of too bad because it's a really busy ER.•

And what's wrong with that? ;)

Originally posted by lilycat:
•So, exactly how demanding is that surgery internship? ;)

depends on the day - today I've been here 21 hours and I've yet to eat. I need to go down to Rad to see some films but needed to procrastinate some. I feel like I might as well stay up as I feel like crap when I get only a few hours of sleep.

lilycat--

It's funny you should mention the old-school style of "we don't need ER physicians."

The same thing exists at University of Washington (in Seattle). Whoever is in charge of ER there believes that the ER should be run by Internal Medicine docs, and trauma should be handled by surgeons (this is the "old-school" method of running the ER). Consequently, you will see no ER residency at UW, one of the largest academic medicine centers in the US (like Baylor)!

This is one of the things that royally pissed me off about the school (among other things). There will likely be no ER opportunities there until that physician retires.