Baylor Post-Baccalaureate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shans

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you or anyone you know has participated or has applied to this program, please respond.
Looking for some information!

Members don't see this ad.

i just applied... we will see what happens.

I have a friend currently in the program. She will be a DS1 in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you talking about the one where you retake the DAT/take classes at UTD or UNT for a year? if so, i have a friend who did it and is now a D1. i was thinking about applying last year, and she said most (maybe all?) of the people who did it got in. i think you have to retake the DAT and get at least an 18 and take a certain number of courses and maintain a specific GPA. as long as you do that, you're in for the next year. i didn't do it because i already met the GPA requirement and instead just took some post-bac classes. i think it's a good deal if you can meet their requirements, though.

i want to say the info they sent me also made it seem like it was geared towards minorities/underprivilaged/etc. i didn't REALLY fit that outline, and while i don't think it's "mandatory", i sort of felt like i would have been taking away an opportunity from someone who deserved it more.

better chance with masters degree or Post-Baccalaureate Program????

better chance with masters degree or Post-Baccalaureate Program????

i think that depends on each person's situation. a master's would take more time, but might be better if your GPA is REALLY weak. my advice is to contact the admissions comittee of the school your most interested in (since you're posting in this thread, i'd assume that's Baylor) and ask them what they think. the admissions committee knows what they're looking for better than anyone on this board.

I am almost done with my masters program... it didn't help get me in. They all said they don't know how to compare graduate classes to undergraduate, and even though it looks good, they perfer post bac.. so i will do that now.

I figure if i can have above 3.5 in grad school i should be able to do it in their program, plus you are automatically in after you complete it. Sounds pretty cool if you ask me.. now you just have to get in.

Gl.

p.s. deadline is approaching pretty fast. if you are thinking of applying you should do it soon.

I asked them about it, but they made it sound like it was for people who really would not have a shot to get in any other way (sub 3.0). They recommended I just take some post-bacc work as-well. My stats are average so I'm just going to re-apply, with post-bacc work of course. I had a friends in it and it is a good program though. I believe you have to maintain a 3.25 @ 12 credits. I think post-bacc @ 3.8 or higher would be just as good as long as your in classes preparing you for D1- A&P, hist, imm, etc.

BTW, they said a masters didn't seem to help prepare students for dental school so unless it was a back-up plan or something it wouldn't make a difference (to them anyway).

I am almost done with my masters program... it didn't help get me in. They all said they don't know how to compare graduate classes to undergraduate, and even though it looks good, they perfer post bac.. so i will do that now

What did you do you masters in? My major in undergrad was biology, I did some post-bac, like 15 hrs, is that good enough?
How are you DAT scores if you don't mind me asking? It really doesn't make sense 3.5 sounds good.

They only accept 16 people, do you know how many people approximately apply?

Does Baylor have a website for thier post bac program?

I am almost done with my masters program... it didn't help get me in. They all said they don't know how to compare graduate classes to undergraduate, and even though it looks good, they perfer post bac.. so i will do that now.

Didn't you get accepted to some Dental School USC,.... Why to bother to the post-bac, when you can start dental school right away??

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also applied to this program for the next academic year (2008-2009)...so far, I haven't yet heard back from them. One of the posts on another forum for this program says that Natasha will call the applicants and offer interview dates...has anyone received this phone call?

And for the people who are in, or have gone through, this program, how long did it take for Natasha to contact you after the deadline for the applications?

It's been over a week (since March 14, which was the deadline) -- I'm really wondering if anyone has heard back because I'm getting worried! Oh, and BTW, the wasn't offered an interview, either when I applied for their dental school. =( Now I'm REALLY worried.

Didn't you get accepted to some Dental School USC,.... Why to bother to the post-bac, when you can start dental school right away??

the 400, 000 price tag to attend USC gives me goosebumps. It is a bittersweet acceptance. I wish I was rich, or had won a lottery I wouldn't think twice!! But I can't even imagine that kind of money.............. especially if it is all in loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I especially do not want to become one of those dentists who needs to meet monthly quota all so I can pay back my loans and not go bankrupt. I would rather care for patients than for their wallets.....

the 400, 000 price tag to attend USC gives me goosebumps. It is a bittersweet acceptance. I wish I was rich, or had won a lottery I wouldn't think twice!! But I can't even imagine that kind of money.............. especially if it is all in loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I especially do not want to become one of those dentists who needs to meet monthly quota all so I can pay back my loans and not go bankrupt. I would rather care for patients than for their wallets.....

dude your freaking awesome, to give up an acceptance for post bac, its like we all want to be dentist so bad, and say we'd go anywhere and do anything, and not till we get in your shoes, do we ever think at what cost (and not talking about tuition) you know what, if i was on an admissions committee, i would so let you in based on that...you've got real heart...good luck girl! :thumbup:

Thank u :).

All of my friends think I am just crazy for doing this.... but you have to follow your heart... and i guess your wallet.

I am having some difficulty determining my school district/county's classification.
Has anyone figured out where to look exactly on the web links they gave us to determine the answers for the 4 questions on the application?

Thanks!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI these are the questions.
*Resident of financially poor school district.
*Attended low-performing high school ..
*Resident of a county designated as underserved by health professionals
*Resident of lowest 10% per capita income count

*Use the following websites to help you answer questions 4, 5, 11, 12 and 13.
#4 – http://www.tea.state.tx.us
#5 – http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...statelist.html
#11 – http://hpsafind.hrsa.gov
#12 & 13 – http://bhpr.hrsa.gov

I'm also having a hard time with those questions...I live outside of Dallas and i consider the city i live a "poor district" and "underserved" but that's just me... dunno how to answer 12 and 13.

How far you in the application process? Admission begins tomorrow. Waiting on LOR

I am in the same boat I cant find the answers with those websites.

has anyone written theirs? approx how many characters was yours?

Last edited:
So if I got this email from Baylor....

"Dear HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry Applicant,

This letter is to inform you of Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry’s (HSC-BCD) Post-Baccalaureate Program (PBP). This year-long program is designed to assist students who will most likely serve underserved communities and/or populations matriculate into dental school and obtain their professional goal of becoming dentists.
HSC-Baylor is proud to offer students who meet specific criteria the opportunity to apply to its Post-Baccalaureate Program. These criteria and a description of the program are available at http://www.bcd.tamhsc.edu/education/studentdevelopment/postbacprogram.html. We realize that you might have been accepted at another dental school. However, if you have not, I encourage you to review information describing HSC-BCD’s Post-Baccalaureate Program. If you satisfy the program’s admission criteria and decide to apply to the 2011 – 2012 PBP, the application can be downloaded from the webpage sited above. It is HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry’s goal to help students achieve success in dentistry and to encourage them to give back to their communities.
For more information, please contact Ms. Natasha Sneed, Administrative Assistant or me at (214) 828-8332 or [email protected]."

Does this pretty much mean better luck next time?

So if I got this email from Baylor....

"Dear HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry Applicant,

This letter is to inform you of Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry’s (HSC-BCD) Post-Baccalaureate Program (PBP). This year-long program is designed to assist students who will most likely serve underserved communities and/or populations matriculate into dental school and obtain their professional goal of becoming dentists.
HSC-Baylor is proud to offer students who meet specific criteria the opportunity to apply to its Post-Baccalaureate Program. These criteria and a description of the program are available at http://www.bcd.tamhsc.edu/education/studentdevelopment/postbacprogram.html. We realize that you might have been accepted at another dental school. However, if you have not, I encourage you to review information describing HSC-BCD’s Post-Baccalaureate Program. If you satisfy the program’s admission criteria and decide to apply to the 2011 – 2012 PBP, the application can be downloaded from the webpage sited above. It is HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry’s goal to help students achieve success in dentistry and to encourage them to give back to their communities.
For more information, please contact Ms. Natasha Sneed, Administrative Assistant or me at (214) 828-8332 or [email protected]."

Does this pretty much mean better luck next time?

i got the same email and i am wondering the same thing! =\

i called and spoke to janet...and she says that everyone who applied to baylor and has not yet been admitted was sent that email. it doesn't neccesarily mean a rejection, but they also do not need a second round of acceptances. They will be making an alternate list in the middle of march. =[

what were you DAT scores when you applied to the program?

i called and spoke to janet...and she says that everyone who applied to baylor and has not yet been admitted was sent that email. it doesn't neccesarily mean a rejection, but they also do not need a second round of acceptances. They will be making an alternate list in the middle of march. =[

wait they have to be doing another round of acceptances, there is no way that there seats can be all full by now. I talked to my dental advisor and she said that they still have to fill up like 50% of the class.

wait they have to be doing another round of acceptances, there is no way that there seats can be all full by now. I talked to my dental advisor and she said that they still have to fill up like 50% of the class.

I think I would be more likely to believe what Janet said over your advisor...Unless your advisor works for Baylor in admissions.

Can I apply to Baylors Post Bacc if I'm graduating in April? I previously applied in 2009 and did not get in, but I received an email about there Post Bacc program. I'm hispanic, 2 generation college student, live in low socioeconomic, attented a low performing high school and there is a shortage of healthcare professionals in my area. What do you think?

Last edited: