baylor vs columbia (for a tx resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostface

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i go to undergrad on the east coast. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

bump bump bump...haha, i still don't know what that means.
i think you should hit up columbia, so you can be with the ballers. do you wanna be a baller or a rancher, that is the question...

I'd go with Baylor but thats just me. No real reason behind it other then I've been in NY for 4 years and would want to leave now.

Members don't see this ad :)
ti89 said:
I'd go with Baylor but thats just me. No real reason behind it other then I've been in NY for 4 years and would want to leave now.

both would look the same to residency directors, columbia better to the average joe shmoe, baylor costs 9K, columbia 40K, u decide whats important

MED_04 said:
both would look the same to residency directors, columbia better to the average joe shmoe, baylor costs 9K, columbia 40K, u decide whats important

Ya true. but who cares what the average joe thinks. I'd like to have an extra 120K after 4 years.

ghostface said:
First I'd like to get this out of the way: **sings** WoaooOOooOOO Ghostface, ghostface** (from CherChez la ghost. I love that song and I think of it every time I see your posts ;) )

That being said, I'd go with Baylor (but maybe I'm biased). In my opinion, Baylor has the perfect combination of great curriculum, laid back students, prestige, and resources all for the low, low price of around 7K a year. Can't beat it with a stick. for more of my ranting and raving about baylor check out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3127825#post3127825

ghostface said:

You can't go wrong here. Both schools have deserved great reputations. They are at the two largest medical centers in the US, with perhaps the most clinical material. Both are in the top tier (but not the front) of research. Applicants from either look good to a PD. I wouldn't want to live in Houston again, but it was a great education and would be a whole lot cheaper both for tuition and living expense.

BKN
Baylor MD
Hopkins Residency
EM PD

Go to Columbia. I want to go to Baylor.

My vote is for Baylor, purely based on price alone. If they cost the same for you I would go to Columbia, because it has a slightly better reputation (not really for the med school, but for the institution as a whole). On the other hand, if you plan on living in texas later in life then Baylor might have a better rep because people are more familiar with it.

Either way, you can't lose! :thumbup:

One more thing you might consider: Personally I think US New's rankings are overrated, but that's coming from the perspective of someone who won't get in to a top ten ;) ...anyway...check out the ranks:

Baylor- Research- 13, Primary Care- 22

Columbia- Research 10, Prim Care- 58

As you can see, it appears that Baylor might be a little more well-rounded, so you might want to consider how interested you are in research vs. p care.

BrettBatchelor said:
Superman.

Batman has no innate powers and relies too much on his gadgets.

Perhaps you haven't seen Volume 4 of Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns." (circa 1986)

I don't want to spoil it entirely, but old Batman kicks Superman's ass. Hardcore.

In any case: Baylor.