Baylor Vs. Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM42

Reaction score
I'm struggling to make my choice between Dell and Baylor. My current specialty of interest is Peds. I think they're both great schools with different focuses. Baylor seems to have a track record of strong matches while Dell has individual attention and a new form of curriculum.

Dell Medical School
Pros
  • Small Class Size
  • Third Year for Research or Masters
  • 12 month Pre-Clinicals
  • Lower Cost

Cons
  • Building reputation
  • Low data for matches in any particular specialty (1 year with 2-6 students per field
  • Lack of a major medical center

Baylor College of Medicine
Pros
  • The TMC
  • Specifically Texas Children's (Currently interested in peds)
  • Access to research opportunities
  • Well-established rank and track-record on matches

Cons
  • Larger Class Size
  • More expensive

Summary: Struggling to pick between smaller classes and the flexibility to pursue interests (Dell) and a school with established credentials but with a larger class. Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Baylor hands down, especially if you are interested in peds. Having Texas Children's right there is a huge opportunity.

I'm assuming you're in-state, so even if there is a cost differential, it's probably not substantial. I go to a school with a class size even larger than Baylor's and I don't think it's a hindrance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is peds, Baylor. Texas Children's is a great hospital and you'll have more opportunities there.

I had this same decision to make, it was really difficult, I ended up choosing Dell, and I'm really happy here. I have close friends at Baylor who are happy, but who have described aspects of their curriculum that don't seem appealing to me and make me glad I'm at Dell. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about it.

That said, you really probably can't go wrong either way. Texas Children's is unbeatable.