Baylor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eunice

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know how hard it is for out-of-state residents to get into Baylor?
It is a hard school as it is.. and i'm not a TX resident!

Anyone who got into Baylor??

My stats are not great but I wanted to give it a shot...
MIT - Neuroscience class of 02 GPA: 3.6
MCAT: v-9, p-11, b-10 30

I know Baylor is definitely a reach school.. but how much of a reach?

Thanks!
ps. anyone know how long it takes to become a TX resident?
Eunice

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor is a private school, so you do not need to be a TX resident, but they are required to take a certain % to get state funds. You can establish TX residency after your first yr there by buying a condo. They are cheap down there. Out of stat ppl automatically get a partial scholarhsip to cover costs.

Get a book like MSAR and maybe another one to supplement, they will give you this kind of info.

Your stats are fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about numbers (too many ppl are).

thanks miss bonnie!
i dunno if i can buy a condo.. though... =P

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also live in Texas for one year (prior to application submission) without being a student in order to establish residency.

With those stats I would put Baylor in the out of reach catagory. The people they interview as out of staters are the same people who end up going to Columbia, Wash U, UCLA, and schools of the sort.

That being said, the secondary is free, so go ahead.

does baylor send out secondaries to everyone or do they screen first?
thanks!
and i'd appreciate if others would comment about baylor..=)

Hi eunice,

Baylor allows everyone to complete their secondary, which can be found on-line. (I think they ask that you not submit it until they have received your AMCAS application.)

Baylor was always my top choice medical school. It is a phenomenal school, part of the largest medical center in the world. The student body is diverse in every possible way--socioec, racial/ethnic, life experience, education. The faculty is not touchy-feely, but attentive and approachable. Tuition is inexpensive (for non-TX residents it is about $17K per year). Basic science is condensed and you have lots of time to take electives. Plus, there is plenty to do in and around Houston (and the food is good!).

I am a non-Texan with about average matriculant stats. I was certain that I would not be accepted at Baylor. But I was wrong. Sure, Baylor does place a lot of emphasis on numbers, but, like any other good school, they take into account the whole package. You never know...

And, as Jalbrekt said, the secondary is free. Go for it and good luck!

mma

Sure is nice to hear such good things about Baylor :cool: .I have them on my list of schools to apply to.