BCBA Expanded options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastersorbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a masters in psychology with BCBA certification but I'm a little lost on my career options.From what I've researched the BCBA seems exclusive to autism. Is that right? My options are: BCBA at a autism clinic, clinical director at an autism school or clinic or start my own ABA practice.

I don't want exclusive autism. I currently teach AP psychology and I have to be honest, I'm partial and comfortable with my hours. I husband teaches as well so being on the same schedule is ideal for us. Our daughter is starting kinder this year so being able to take her on vacations in the summer and having those summer months together works for us. It was our time before her and now it's family time.

I love psychology and it would be nice to make a little more money and have more options. I honestly don't want to do school counseling emotionally.

Are there other options for a BCBA other than autism? I'm not opposed to it at all just more so the hours and year roundness. I've looked it up a little and I get it. To prevent the kids from regressing they so pretty much have to be in therapy all year, school and summers and summers are cranked up higher because they're home all day so they go full time. I do like working in a school environment and would be interested in going back down to elementary as a BCBA

Summers are just my sole family time and I won't sacrifice that especially not when she's so young. If she were in high school maybe but that's a long way off. Right now, a week here and there contracting would work but is that feasible?

Is there security in contract work? There's tons of home health companies that hire BCBA but that's year round as well. Schools don't seem to have openings for BCBA not district, 180 day contract jobs at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Summers are just my sole family time and I won't sacrifice that especially not when she's so young. If she were in high school maybe but that's a long way off. Right now, a week here and there contracting would work but is that feasible?

I'm curious about what attracted you to this training if you don't want to work mostly with kids on the autism spectrum. You can use ABA for conduct/general behavioral issues, ADHD, and other populations, but you're correct that the market is mostly for autism services, especially as more states adopt mandates for third party insurance coverage of ABA for autism spectrum disorders.

Honestly, given your (very understandable!) boundaries my advice is to stick with teaching for the time present and maybe look at continuing your education when your little one is a bit older.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious about what attracted you to this training if you don't want to work mostly with kids on the autism spectrum. You can use ABA for conduct/general behavioral issues, ADHD, and other populations, but you're correct that the market is mostly for autism services, especially as more states adopt mandates for third party insurance coverage of ABA for autism spectrum disorders.

Honestly, given your (very understandable!) boundaries my advice is to stick with teaching for the time present and maybe look at continuing your education when your little one is a bit older.

The job prospects are plentiful so that's a plus. I'm not against working with kids with autism I just don't want to be limited to an ABA clinic which would be year round hours and possibly weekends as some clinics do therapy on Saturdays.

I did part time ABA therapy in college and liked it well enough but not for full time. I liked working and creating treatment plans more so than being a direct therapist so BCBA has always been in the back of my mind. At first I wanted to teach psychology in college so teaching high school was a go between that. Having my daughter halted Ph.D plans but now I don't think I could commit to that much school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The job prospects are plentiful so that's a plus. I'm not against working with kids with autism I just don't want to be limited to an ABA clinic which would be year round hours and possibly weekends as some clinics do therapy on Saturdays.

You can choose your hours in private practice, and you can even take large chunks of time off, though it would be up to you to make sure that your practice is sustainable and profitable within those parameters. But if you need the security that a larger organization can offer, then yes, a typical trade-off is less flexibility.

I'm looking into getting a masters in psychology with BCBA certification but I'm a little lost on my career options.From what I've researched the BCBA seems exclusive to autism. Is that right? My options are: BCBA at a autism clinic, clinical director at an autism school or clinic or start my own ABA practice.

I don't want exclusive autism. I currently teach AP psychology and I have to be honest, I'm partial and comfortable with my hours. I husband teaches as well so being on the same schedule is ideal for us. Our daughter is starting kinder this year so being able to take her on vacations in the summer and having those summer months together works for us. It was our time before her and now it's family time.

I love psychology and it would be nice to make a little more money and have more options. I honestly don't want to do school counseling emotionally.

Are there other options for a BCBA other than autism? I'm not opposed to it at all just more so the hours and year roundness. I've looked it up a little and I get it. To prevent the kids from regressing they so pretty much have to be in therapy all year, school and summers and summers are cranked up higher because they're home all day so they go full time. I do like working in a school environment and would be interested in going back down to elementary as a BCBA

Is there security in contract work? There's tons of home health companies that hire BCBA but that's year round as well. Schools don't seem to have openings for BCBA not district, 180 day contract jobs at least.

Hey I suggest Pepperdine, it’s a accredited and it’s a top school and a lot of affluent kids go their and they just launched a online program for bcba. My advice when looking for a online program is making sure the offer placement for the classes. I was going to attend on campus but they launched the online program and it was a better move for me.