This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hschmetz

Reaction score
I'm applying to 5 schools for masters programs in CMHC and all of them have an optional GRE. My undergraduate cumulative GPA is 3.48 and major (psychology) GPA is 3.73. I also have 2 years of experience in 2 undergraduate research labs and volunteer experience for Crisis Text Line and I have 2 academic letters of recommendation as well as 1 letter of recommendation by an employer. I have also submitted 4 research poster presentations (main author on 2, coauthor on 2) and I have submitted a manuscript (that I was a coauthor on) for publication. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into these masters programs and I'm wondering if not taking the GRE will hurt my chances of getting accepted.

The schools I am applying to are:
Colorado State University
University of Utah
Portland State University
Northern Arizona University
University of Arizona

I appreciate information that anyone has to offer! Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with these specific programs and everything will ultimately be program-specific but if a program is saying GREs are optional, I'd imagine that submitting quality scores can potentially help your application (similar to supplemental materials), submitting poor scores can potentially cast your application in a more negative light, and not submitting scores should be viewed in a neutral fashion.

If you're a good standardized test taker, have time to prepare, have the finances for the pay for the test, and can get it scheduled in time, give it some thought. But if you think any of those factors might be a barrier, don't feel pressured. If a couple of these are concerns, I'd rely on the rest of my application. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to 5 schools for masters programs in CMHC and all of them have an optional GRE. My undergraduate cumulative GPA is 3.48 and major (psychology) GPA is 3.73. I also have 2 years of experience in 2 undergraduate research labs and volunteer experience for Crisis Text Line and I have 2 academic letters of recommendation as well as 1 letter of recommendation by an employer. I have also submitted 4 research poster presentations (main author on 2, coauthor on 2) and I have submitted a manuscript (that I was a coauthor on) for publication. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into these masters programs and I'm wondering if not taking the GRE will hurt my chances of getting accepted.

The schools I am applying to are:
Colorado State University
University of Utah
Portland State University
Northern Arizona University
University of Arizona

I appreciate information that anyone has to offer! Thanks so much :)
Hschemetz, from what you describe, you should already be an extremely competitive candidate for most MA - Counseling programs. In fact, are you certain you are not interested in a clinical doctoral program later? (If you are, I would seriously consider just applying to these programs now and skip the masters, as a clinical master will do virtually nothing to strengthen you as a doctoral candidate. I learned this the hard way myself. So now I must seek research experience before applying to a doctorate in counseling psych, where I will spend an additional 4-7 years in school. (Sigh...)

That all said if the five schools you listed happen to be CACREP schools (I presume they are?), then they will each have a CACREP "Outcomes Report" link posted on their websites. These reports frequently disclose admissions data, so you can know for certain how competitive these programs are. Generally, CMHC programs are not terribly competitive. I am near the finish line in an MS - CMHC program myself currently. There are days when some of my cohorts still surprise me with how unimpressive they are as academics. While the schools you listed likely screen applicants well, just know that this degree program is much more on the applied side rather than research. So the standards in academics (as well as admissions) usually directly reflect this. If I was a "betting" man, I would bet you a dollar that you get acceptance offers from all five of these schools.

On a side note, I notice each of these five schools you listed represent different cities/states. Do you plan on relocating for this degree, or are you considering an online version of this program?

Regards, Eddie