BCM DeBakey Summer Surgery Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munch1591

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I searched SDN and could not find a real response to the following inquiry. If there is a response on the forums in some shape or form that you are aware of, please PM me or respond to this thread with a link to the page.

I will be an upcoming junior (undergrad). I did not apply to the DeBakey program last year and am going to be applying for this upcoming summer (summer 2012).

Are there are stats around SDN regarding this summer program? I was searching for the number of applicants (or an estimate), the number of people accepted into the program, the average GPA or scores for the applicants, or things of that sort.

If you are aware of any of these numbers (or have an incredibly educated idea) please respond to this thread.

Thank y'all! I REALLY appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also applying for it soon and would like to know what stats they expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's a good chance this info doesn't exist outside of the program, sorry guys. I'd be interested to know as well, but I wouldn't bet on finding it here.

I think there's a good chance this info doesn't exist outside of the program, sorry guys. I'd be interested to know as well, but I wouldn't bet on finding it here.

Maybe if yall keep bumping this thread, someone who partook in the program before and knows the stats might respond...

I guess I shall try for this for next summer. Sounds pretty cool.

My old roommate is doing this now. I just remember him having a real strong letter from a surgeon he shadowed :shrug:

Hey guys,

for those of you who applied to the DeBakey summer surgery program for 2012 has anyone heard back yet? I am sitting on pins and needles over here checking my email and mailbox 100 times a day.

Thanks!
JSall

Hey! Anyone hear back yet??
I emailed last Thursday and I got a response saying that they "hoped to have a decision by next week" (meaning this week we just finished).
Anyone hear anything?

Goosewing- I haven't heard anything yet. If I don't hear anything by tonight I will call tomorrow morning I guess. I'm DYING to know. I've been checking my mailbox and email inbox for weeks. #Needtostudyforfinals #distraction :(

Goosewing- I haven't heard anything yet. If I don't hear anything by tonight I will call tomorrow morning I guess. I'm DYING to know. I've been checking my mailbox and email inbox for weeks. #Needtostudyforfinals #distraction :(

Let me know what they say when you call! I sent an email Friday and haven't gotten a response for that yet either. If I hear anything I'll update you here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goosewing- its almost five oclock Houston time, which means the work day is theoretically over. Have you heard anything?

JSall

Goosewing- I just called. All they could tell me is that letters went out today, be watching your mail. Good luck and keep me posted if you get in!

Letters went out today GooseWing and JSall. I don't know if they're sending update emails to everyone who applied or just to those that got accepted. Got my acceptance email today around 3:00pm. Hope you hear back soon!

Letters went out today GooseWing and JSall. I don't know if they're sending update emails to everyone who applied or just to those that got accepted. Got my acceptance email today around 3:00pm. Hope you hear back soon!

I was told only those accepted would receive emails. I didn't receive one :(

Keep your head up bud! I'll be declining mine to go to another opportunity so maybe you'll get the spot.

Keep your head up bud! I'll be declining mine to go to another opportunity so maybe you'll get the spot.

What other activity are you doing? Congratulations on the acceptance anyway! Who did your acceptance email come from? dpipkin?

Goosewing- I just called. All they could tell me is that letters went out today, be watching your mail. Good luck and keep me posted if you get in!
JSall did you get an acceptance email? Did it seem like they would all be going out simultaneously?

Goosewing- I haven't heard anything, but I'm hoping for the best. Worst case scenario, I'll volunteer at a local hospital this summer. I'll let you know when I hear back.

clos7450- Congratulations! Which program are you doing instead?

I'll be going to Nashville for the Dialysis Clinic Summer Medical Internship Program. I felt like this program was a better fit for me, and also I'm from the Houston area so I really wanted to get out of there for the summer.

Also, the email did come from dpipkin.

I just called and talked to the office as I still had not received a letter, I was not accepted into the program. Looks like I'm volunteering/taking summer school courses this summer! Best of luck to you guys.

Hey guys! I was just accepted into the 2012 DeBakey Program :) Just wondering if anybody else was accepted? I don't know much about it! Still waiting to get my information packet. :oops:

Hey guys! I was just accepted into the 2012 DeBakey Program :) Just wondering if anybody else was accepted? I don't know much about it! Still waiting to get my information packet. :oops:

For those of you all accepted for this past summer of 2012, can you tell us your stats? I'm looking to apply for 2013.

I applied fall semester of my sophomore year with a 4.0 and I entered the program with a 3.97. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, though! And just in case you're wondering: they accepted 11 people (7 were Texas residents and only 3 were girls.) I definitely suggest applying. You have nothing to lose and it was an awesome experience :) One I'll never forget!!

Does anyone know if we get notified of acceptance by email or letter mail? Also, do they notify of being rejected?

Thanks!

Last year, I was notified first by email during the last week of April. I had completely written it off and was under the impression that I was silently rejected. The email actually went to my spam, so I found out about my acceptance a week later through snail mail. After comparing acceptance dates with other students, the acceptances ranged from end of April to mid May. Good luck!

I'll be going to Nashville for the Dialysis Clinic Summer Medical Internship Program. I felt like this program was a better fit for me, and also I'm from the Houston area so I really wanted to get out of there for the summer.

Also, the email did come from dpipkin.

When did you recieve your acceptance to DCI do you remember?